Help me get my fruits and veggies... - AnabolicMinds.com

Help me get my fruits and veggies...

Help me get my fruits and veggies...

Okay so I eat a very clean healthy BB diet but I always seem to be lacking on the fruits and veggies and would like to REALLY increase my intake of phytonutrients etc. I get an adequate amount of fiber already and have to eat quickly on the go; are there any good supps out there that would take care of this aspect of my diet?

Some easy ones:

Apples and bananas, peaches, grapes

Celery, cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes, capsicum

These take barely any time to prepare and are generally quite "portable"

Also broc and green beans you can wash and steam very quickly whilst you're cooking your meat

stupid question but how do I steam veggies
    •   

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil04 View Post
    stupid question but how do I steam veggies
    1. Boil water
    2. Cut and wash veggies
    3. Place in steamer tray (it has holes underneath it)
    4. Place on top of the boiling water and cover with a lid on the stove (or in a steamer if you have one)
    5. Leave on high heat until veggies are cooked until as crisp/soft as desired.
    6. Turn off heat, remove steam tray from heat. Drain if you want, eat.

Quote Originally Posted by asianbabe View Post
    1. Boil water
    2. Cut and wash veggies
    4. Place on top of the boiling water and cover with a lid on the stove (or in a steamer if you have one)
    I like the last part of step 6.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Smoothies are your friend. You can easily get in 3 servings of produce in one sitting. For example, I have been making a smoothie out of pineapple, banana, and spinach (turns it green, but no taste) along with some protein powder up to 3x/day, depending on my energy levels.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Quote Originally Posted by asianbabe View Post
    1. Boil water
    2. Cut and wash veggies
    Is it better to steam the veggies? I usually just boil my brocolli. I'm 99% positive we don't have a steamer tray either.

Pack a few apples to go. And get the frozen veggies, broccoli and such. Great time saver compared to steaming yourself.

spirulina

You can buy a fairly easy plastic "steamer" for cheap. I got one over the christmas break, toss some water in it. Toss two bags of frozen broccoli in it and a few lemon slices, turn it on for 10-15 minutes and walk away. Voila, steamed veggies.

sundevil, I find I have the same problem getting 8 servings of fruit and veggies into my diet on a daily basis, so I just started buying bananas, oranges, and apples in bulk and talk one of each to work. Then just snack whenever I find time to fit it in, or add it to one of my meals. Then I make sure to get a couple servings of veggies with lunch and dinner. And a grapefruit with my eggs and pb covered toast in the am. As far as a supplement like you asked about there are a few Green+ being one, and here is a thread on a newer one Biotest has a Superfoods (8 vegetables per serving) product coming...

I'm still not sold that you can replace good servings of Fs and Vs with a pill though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Smoothies are your friend. You can easily get in 3 servings of produce in one sitting. For example, I have been making a smoothie out of pineapple, banana, and spinach (turns it green, but no taste) along with some protein powder up to 3x/day, depending on my energy levels.
    sounds crazy I might have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    Is it better to steam the veggies? I usually just boil my brocolli. I'm 99% positive we don't have a steamer tray either.
    I think the big proponent of steaming vegetables is that it decreases nutrient leeching, and possibly some of the breakdown (although I'm not sure on the second point). Quite frankly, one of the easiest ways to steam vegetables is just to use a pot, a colander, and the lid. You can make a pretty decent steamer out of that. Water in the pot, place the colander in it, vegetables, then the lid over the vegetables - the only problem with this is the water condensation can be a pain. Works in a pinch, not a great long term solution IMO.

People are so scared to add veggies to their smoothies, but they don't usually affect the taste (the texture sometimes) and it's a great way to hit your nutrient targets.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    People are so scared to add veggies to their smoothies, but they don't usually affect the taste (the texture sometimes) and it's a great way to hit your nutrient targets.
    Baby spinach is the easiest to add and is one of the better veggies to eat for not only nutrients and phytochemicals, but also alkalinity.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Baby spinach is the easiest to add and is one of the better veggies to eat for not only nutrients and phytochemicals, but also alkalinity.
    I was just reading an article about the importance of alklinty. Spinich, with it's -14 rating, is like the great equalizer.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    I was just reading an article about the importance of alklinty. Spinich, with it's -14 rating, is like the great equalizer.
    Yes, it is. Meat and complex carbs are generally acidic and produce is alkalinic. Guess my mom was right when she told me to eat my veggies.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help me get my Girlfriend ABS!
    By Sparta12 in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
  2. help me get my dosing down-pat
    By BeastMode 1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 04:13 AM
  3. Help me get my crap together...
    By ozarkaBRAND in forum General Chat