Natural COX-2 inhibitors to avoid while on X-Factor

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Here is a quick list of natural COX-2 inhibitors that I found quickly searching around on the net. Keep in mind I haven't researched all of these a ton so not 100% sure on all of these. But wouldn't hurt to avoid if on a 50 day X-factor cycle.

(note: apparently melatonin isn't good to take on X-Factor as well)

Natural COX-2 inhibitors:

Omega-3 fats
Ginger
Turmeric (curcumin)
White willow bark
Boswellia
Devil's claw root
Green tea
Resveratrol (grape seed extract)
Rosemary
Bee propolis
Hops
Quercetin

Polygonum cusipidatum root
Phellodendron amurense bark

Chamomile
Celery seed
Ginko
Skullcap
Barberry
Goldenseal
Goldthread
Oregon grape
Yelllow root (Berberine)
Rhubarb
Currant
Cabbage
Chives
Clove
Thyme
Sage
Lavender
Marjoram
Ginseng (form?)
Cardamom
Feverfew

Eyayo

Eyayo

Awards
Great post. I was acutally looking for things not to take while on x-factor.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
those turmeric and green tea are painful. im a curry fan, which i add extra turmeric to, and im a green tea addict. i suppose those are sacrifices i must make when i take x factor in the future.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Neil5585's list is rather comprehensive. Avoiding all those may be a major challenge for arachidonic acid supplementation. To be fair, all the agents on that list are not equally potent in arachidonic-acid inhibition. Furthermore, the dosages used can also make a difference. Finally, a more potent arachidonic-acid inhibition response is obtained when more than one of those are used at effective dosages, because herbs display considerable potency when combined versus when used singly.

A certain book, Beyond Aspirin (Newmark et al. 2000), discusses naturally-occuring cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitors. Some might find this useful.

By the way, while discussing arachidonic-acid (AA) inhibition, it might help to recall that its complete inflammatory cascade includes COX-1, COX-2, and 5-Lipooxygenase (5-LOX).

5-LOX is an enzyme that is produced in higher amounts by the body in response to an overload of arachidonic acid. 5-LOX functions to degrade arachidonic acid. However, 5-LOX directly stimulates the propagation of cancer cells. Furthermore, 5-LOX produces breakdown products from arachidonic acid. These products, leukotriene B4, 5-HETE, and hydroxylated fatty acids, motivate tissue destruction, chronic inflammation, as well as the increased resistance of tumor cells to apoptosis or programmed cell destruction.

Apart from 5-LOX, the body produces other dangerous enzymes such as cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) that participate in the breakdown of arachidonic acid.

COX-1 leads to the production of thromboxane A2. Thromboxane can enhance abnormal arterial blood clotting or thrombosis, leading to heart attack and stroke. Yet, COX-1, in base quantities, are required in many metabolic processes. This is why non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that quench COX-1 also trigger certain health problems in our body, including bowel distress, amongst others. (NSAIDs express their pharmacological action via COX and prostaglandin synthase inhibition).

COX-2 participates directly in cancer cell propagation. Its breakdown product, prostaglandin E2 fosters chronic inflammation.

It is useful to note that when COX-2 is inhibited, arachidonic acid expresses itself through 5-LOX, so a complete strategy would involve both COX-2 and 5-LOX inhibition.

Lastly, I would like to add one or tow things to Neil5585's post.

1) Sesamin/Sesame lignans are direct arachidonic-acid inhibitors.
2) Silymarin/Silibinin, actives in Milk Thistle, also COX-2 inhibitors.
3) High insulin levels trigger the conversion of arachidonic acid into inflammatory prostaglandins.
4) CLA has a dose-dependent ability to suppress aracidonic acid, and is sometimes used as chemopreventive (because arachidonic acid triggers inflammatory mediators that can support cancer initiation and progression).
5) Curcumin inhibits COX-2 and thromboxane A2, a highly unstable, but biologically active compound created by COX from AA. Furthermore, curcumin also effectively inhibits 5-LOX and HETE.
6) Gamma tocopherol is a dose-dependent COX-2 inhibitor.
7) Ginger not only suppresses COX-2, it also supports the positive effects of COX-1.
8) Feverfew contains apigenin and melatonin, both COX-2 inhibitors. Besides, Feverfew also possesses 5-LOX-inhibiting properties.
9) Berberine and berberine-containing herbs (goldenseal, barberry, goldthread, oregon grape) not only inhibit COX-2, but also support the beneficial actions of COX-1.
10) Green Tea's COX-2-inhibiting actions occur via two pathways. 1) Salicylic acid, the main anti-inflammatory component of aspirin, naturally occurs in Green Tea, giving it its COX-2 inhibition abilities; 2) The polyphenols and flavonoids in Green Tea also exhibit COX-2 inhibition.
11) A special extract of the Boswellia plant known as AKBA (3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid) is one of the most potent selective 5-LOX inhibitors around.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
It is my understanding that inhibiting some AA by products would increase the amount of AA you have to turn into more useful things, so there for curcummon for instance might actually work really well with AA? While you might not notice as many side effects, you might still be getting the gains?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is my understanding that inhibiting some AA by products would increase the amount of AA you have to turn into more useful things, so there for curcummon for instance might actually work really well with AA? While you might not notice as many side effects, you might still be getting the gains?
Arachidonic acid, as such, is not bad. It is only a question of the how much of it is present in our system.