Questions About When to Take Beta-Alanine

WhazUpDoc

Awards
I Just received my order of AST Beta-X and have a few questions about when to take it. I am wanting to take about 4-5g a day, each capsule contains 1g. I am also on NO-Shotgun which contains some Beta Alanine (I would assume a bit less than 1g)which I take 15 minutes before lifting. I know that most companies recommend taking 2-3g pre-workout but I am wanting to space my dosages out throughout the day as well. So:

1. Should I take it with or with out food?
2. How should I space out my dosages to get the best results?
3. Is 5g/day enough or should I consider ordering it in bulk powder?

Thanks for the advice!

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
1. Doesn't matter, though I think that it may be better absorbed on an empty stomach, double check me on this.

2. Three split throughout the day is fine, four would be better, but there are people out there who have reported effects from taking most of their daily dose pre-workout.

3. 5grams a day is fine. It'll be a week or two before the effects really kick in. You may not need as much after full saturation. Some guys have been experimenting with higher doses (10 grams+) and reporting better results than standard dosing. Not too much out there on that, yet, though.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/64211-beta-alanine-carnosine.html

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How do you like the time released ba vs regular version?

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
How do you like the time released ba vs regular version?
I realize that this is for the OP, but I use a time release, too, so I'll but in. When I first started using BA, it was Biotest's time release. Stuff was incredible. Two pills three times a day for a couple weeks, then I cut it to one pill four times a day. Now I use bulk during the day, and a couple Beta-7s before bed. Works fine.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Biotest's time release is great in that it reduces the frequency required for dosing. However their supplement is quite expensive. I guess you get what you pay for and you pay heavily for the convenience of time release and tablets.

However for higher dosing for better results, I'd say take it as often as possible in 1g doses like 6 times a day, and then take the rest pre and post workout. It would be a pain to have to dose it so often, but this would give you benefits of higher doses plus the full benefits since you're dosing it frequently. I personally couldn't afford Biotest's beta alanine supplement at 10g/day, but if you can and prefer the convenience, go for it.

It would be interesting to learn more about whether or not it's better with meals or empty stomach and such. For example creatine is better absorbed dissolved in a light salt water solution and taken with carbs like waxy maize. What's the best for beta alanine? I don't know. However it's interesting to note that BA seems to be quite synergistic with creatine monohydrate.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Biotest's time release is great in that it reduces the frequency required for dosing. However their supplement is quite expensive. I guess you get what you pay for and you pay heavily for the convenience of time release and tablets.
The expense is why I use the bulk in conjunction, now. 50bucks a month for BA is CRAZY. Taking two a day(sometimes just one) really stretches out the bottle. There's 180 pills per bottle, I think.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's a quote from the AEN rep that answers your question.

Are there any methods that may increase beta-alanine’s ability to increase carnosine levels?

Yes. A recent study showed that a group of subjects taking Beta-Alanine with carbohydrates increased performance gains in half the time of the group taking an equal amount of beta-alanine without carbohydrates. Carbohydrates spike insulin and one of insulin’s effects is to increase amino acid (such as beta-alanine) transport into our cells.
While not research supported as of yet, taking Beta-Alanine pre-workout and post-workout may increase the uptake of Beta-Alanine into our muscles. Amino acid nutrient timing studies have clearly shown, when amino acids are ingested Pre-Workout and Post-Workout, their rate of uptake into our muscle is increased. The improved uptake is largely due to increased blood flow during exercise.

WhazUpDoc

Awards
Thanks for all of the advice guys. This is my first time to incorporate BA into my routine and I'm hoping it will give my endurance a boost