New guy here

Giuntoc

Awards
I am getting ready to hopefully go to the marines officer candidates school this summer and am looking to figure out what kind of supplements would be pertinant for me to take. I know that it is going to drop my **** in the dirt if I do not train hard. I was taking those Animal Packs but wanted to see if anyone else thought they were worth the cost. Out side of that if there is anything that will help with running and maybe muscle recovery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
Age, stats, current 3 mile run time, how many pullups can you do?

Giuntoc

Awards
Have not timed myself yet on the 3 mile run, pullups I can do the twenty. 21 years old, senior in college, not enlisted.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hope those are dead hang pullups...And I do mean dead hang. Get an accurate run time. In essence: to run a 285 PFT you need 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches in 2 min. and a run time of 20:30 or better if I am correct. That would be what I would shoot for if I were going to OCS. Your placement in your class has much grander implications in your career than you would think.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
I hope those are dead hang pullups...And I do mean dead hang. Get an accurate run time. In essence: to run a 285 PFT you need 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches in 2 min. and a run time of 20:30 or better if I am correct. That would be what I would shoot for if I were going to OCS. Your placement in your class has much grander implications in your career than you would think.
By dead hang he means coming to a complete dead hang, then bringing your chin above the bar, then coming back down to a complete dead hang, repeat. I'm not doubting you can do 20 because its not extremely hard but they won't count them if you don't come all the way back down.

As far as supplements go, Until you are through OCS I wouldn't do anything to crazy. You won't have anything to take during OCS but food and water and you don't want to have your body relying on supplements you were taking pre OCS. I would stick to a good multi, protein, fish oil, BCAA's and maybe some creatine. Try to stay away from stims because again you won't have access to them in OCS.

A perfect 3mile is 18min. That should be your goal regardless. You might never reach it but shoot for it anyways.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
From what I know, it doesn't impact your MOS at all. It is to the best of my knowledge that 100% of your placement is earned through TBS. OCS in the larger part has been the gateway to TBS, at least from what I've been informed about. This does not mean you shouldn't strive to work to be the best you can absolutely be however (of course), as the slackers in the platoon get the boot out real quick.

For the most part, the other posters are absolutely correct. You won't be taking any sort of supplements at OCS. I too train for Quantico, but I'd be all for taking recovery supplements, as they have worked wonders for myself. Nothing spectacular, but supplements that will allow you to train harder and more often. I'm big on preparing, and I want to go into OCS the best I can possibly be.

The few things I would recommend would be endurance compounds, which in turn work double to increase your recovery. My favorite supplement is called BodyOctane, made by "MAN". It contains two compounds proven to improve endurance and recovery - Beta-Alanine and Citrulline Malate. I wouldn't recommend much else beside whey protein (sometimes it's hard to eat after a killer run). You won't become dependant on it, but you'll rather reap the benefits and be able to train harder and longer... you'll keep your results too. There is no supplement to make endurance training easier - it's going to be difficult no madder what. A proper diet is basically the only thing that will truely improve your abilities... make sure it's as clean and as beneficial as possible.

Personally, I've been separating my runs and my lifts... I use the Runnersworld.com "Smart Coach" running program (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) and I utilize many Crossfit.com weight lifting workouts. Definitly check those out.
And feel free to PM me with any questions about OCS. I completed PLC Juniors this past summer, and I'm looking forward to getting down there for Seniors this summer. In case you don't know about it - MarineOCS.com is a great site to read through for additional info. The site provided me with invaluable info before my first trip, and I've got so much more to go through before I head out. So much information/great people there... definitly an amazing site.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In reference to the placement I didnt mean it would affect MOS but I was under the impression that it affect promotion rate for O's one way or another. I am enlisted so I cant say I know this for sure.

I'd throw in 5g glutamine pre/post workout with your shakes to help speed recovery and offset DOMS. Everything else reccomended would be a good idea to intesify your training to prepare you.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
By dead hang he means coming to a complete dead hang, then bringing your chin above the bar, then coming back down to a complete dead hang, repeat. I'm not doubting you can do 20 because its not extremely hard but they won't count them if you don't come all the way back down.

As far as supplements go, Until you are through OCS I wouldn't do anything to crazy. You won't have anything to take during OCS but food and water and you don't want to have your body relying on supplements you were taking pre OCS. I would stick to a good multi, protein, fish oil, BCAA's and maybe some creatine. Try to stay away from stims because again you won't have access to them in OCS.

A perfect 3mile is 18min. That should be your goal regardless. You might never reach it but shoot for it anyways.
I only offered the 285 goal becuase for myself I can kill 28 pullups and do 100 crunches in less than a minute but I am not a runner so a 285 is my personal goal. A 300 is always an awesome accomplishment. Not to hijack but SGTp what do you think of the new CFT that we are gonna have to do directly after the PFT?

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
I only offered the 285 goal becuase for myself I can kill 28 pullups and do 100 crunches in less than a minute but I am not a runner so a 285 is my personal goal. A 300 is always an awesome accomplishment. Not to hijack but SGTp what do you think of the new CFT that we are gonna have to do directly after the PFT?
I've heard it will augment the current PFT but its in the air right now. It sounds like fun alone but after a PFT...lol I work for the ACC that sends out all of the MARADMINS and ALMARS so I'll let you know when we get some concrete details.

Giuntoc

Awards
This is off topic. When should I start looking at an M.O.S. sheet, I wanted to do crash fire but the OSO said that is an enlisted job. I know that I do not want to do law, do you guys have any suggestions on jobs to look at doing.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
This is off topic. When should I start looking at an M.O.S. sheet, I wanted to do crash fire but the OSO said that is an enlisted job. I know that I do not want to do law, do you guys have any suggestions on jobs to look at doing.
Check out MarineOCS.com for all your officer related questions, as there is a plethora of info there that will cover any info you need (and then some).
As an Officer (if OCS is completed), you don't exactly get to "choose" your MOS at the whim of a finger. You have to earn it... you compete for slots in a school that follows OCS, the 6-month "The Basic School". These number of slots varies - it's what the USMC needs at the time. For example, out of a class of say (I'm making up numbers here) 100, there may be 25 Infantry Officer slots. It is very competative, and there are no guarentees. It's even more up-in-the-air with a "spread the quality" system the military imposes. If you contract with an OSO to become a candidate, you choose to enter into either a ground, aviation, or law contract. Aside from choosing that, you have to rightfully earn everything else.

In other words, don't put too much time into planning MOS future just yet. If you want to become a U.S. Marine, and an Officer of Marines, contract for OCS. Do plan for the future, but don't get too ahead of yourself. That is basically the best advice I can give. You need to truely want to be a Marine, much more than having a specific MOS, to get the job in the first place.

Again, check out MarineOCS.com for additional info, or even stop by/call an Officer Selection Office (OSO) for additional info. An OSO is essentially a recruiter for Officer Candidates. And don't hesistate to hit me up for any info about OCS - I'll be glad to answer whatever I can.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've heard it will augment the current PFT but its in the air right now. It sounds like fun alone but after a PFT...lol I work for the ACC that sends out all of the MARADMINS and ALMARS so I'll let you know when we get some concrete details.
Appreiciate it. Right after a PFT is gonna make or break people. I am all strength and speed so I dont think it will affect me too much. As long as the run doesnt totally tap me. My running endurance has been keeping me out of the 280 range for the past 5 years. No matter how much I run I can break under a 21:00. Oh well. My fit reps speak for them selves so I am OK. Thanks for the info though.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Highlanda...can we assume your commissioned?

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
Appreiciate it. Right after a PFT is gonna make or break people. I am all strength and speed so I dont think it will affect me too much. As long as the run doesnt totally tap me. My running endurance has been keeping me out of the 280 range for the past 5 years. No matter how much I run I can break under a 21:00. Oh well. My fit reps speak for them selves so I am OK. Thanks for the info though.
I'm currently recovering from foot reconstructive surgery. Hopefully after I heal I will be able to run. I have 9 months to recover so I should be fine. Anything lower than 25min, after I recover, will be fine with me. Both feet have been reconstructed. Left one was about 2 years ago and just recently the right one.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Highlanda...can we assume your commissioned?
No, not yet - I have to make my second of two phases at OCS this summer AND THEN return back to college to get my degree before I finally get the bars. The wait is incredibly antagonizing, and will be even moreso when if I complete OCS in it's entirety (with completion of Seniors) and then need to crank out another semester of school...heh getting ahead of myself though.
I'm just a "freakin' daggone nastie little candidate! Freakin' NASTIES!" lol

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently recovering from foot reconstructive surgery. Hopefully after I heal I will be able to run. I have 9 months to recover so I should be fine. Anything lower than 25min, after I recover, will be fine with me. Both feet have been reconstructed. Left one was about 2 years ago and just recently the right one.
Light speed to recovery SGT P, we hope everything heals well