Whey Protein Vs. BCAA

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

Whey Protein Vs. BCAA

I am trying to increase my recovery time, and DOMS. I was wondering if I started supplement with BCAA, would I see a increase in my recovery time over supplementing with just whey protein. I am looking at Scivation Xtend. I currently use ON 100% whey, drink about 6 scoops a day. Thanks

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You use 6 servings of whey per day?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

Yeah I drink 3 shakes, 2 scoops = 6 scoops. I sometimes drink more it just really depends. But I would like to try scivation xtend, and see if it works better.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MEH89 View Post
    Yeah I drink 3 shakes, 2 scoops = 6 scoops. I sometimes drink more it just really depends. But I would like to try scivation xtend, and see if it works better.
    That is too much protein from one source. BCAAs are one of my top-3 supplements, but you should address your nutrition first.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

Protein sources, eggs, milk, chicken, beef, and alot of protein powder. I get alot of protein, dont count calories, protein, carbs, or anything. But I know I get alot, and I way only 160 pounds. I think I get close to 300 grams of protein everyday. I going to have to start cutting weight soon. Thats why I want the BCAA's. I was thinking there more efficent than whey protein. Mark
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Protein sources, eggs, milk, chicken, beef, and alot of protein powder. I get alot of protein, dont count calories, protein, carbs, or anything. But I know I get alot, and I way only 160 pounds. I think I get close to 300 grams of protein everyday. I going to have to start cutting weight soon. Thats why I want the BCAA's. I was thinking there more efficent than whey protein. Mark
    They are more anti-catabolic, which is ideal for cutting. Also, switch to a slower digesting form of protein powder such as MPI, Micellar Casein, or Egg.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.07%

Yea, thats a lot of shakes. I would cut down to 1 or 2 shakes. Make sure one is post work-out. Get protein from other sources. Chicken, steak, tuna etc. BCAA's are still a great idea. They will help your recovery time and Xtend is one of the best. What is your diet like though? Read around for dosing of BCAA's. Personally, I like to fill a gallon jug with water and 4-6 scoops of Xtend and drink throughout the day. Then I make a smaller one that I take to the gym.

Edit: I'm too slow and he answered my diet question.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

I have what I think is a very sound nutritional regiment. I have a super fast metabolism. I need to be around 152 lbs here soon, I gain weight very easy latley, which is good, and bad. I have to make weight in March, so I cant get to heavy. I am trying to cut out some calories, and want to start using BCAA,s because low calories, anti catabolic, good for energy, and recovery. Plus I can drink pre, during, post workout. Mark

Breakfast- protein shake, eggs, oats, banana
    snack-protein shake, bagel, nuts
    lunch- beef, brown rice
    pre workout- nothing, sometimes a protein shake
    post workout- carbs, protein shake
    dinner- sometimes whatever mom makes, but mostly chicken, or beef, potato, or pasta, veg.
    bedtime- protein, milk, anpb
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

300 grams of protein?? lol, no one in their right mind needs that much protein a day to build muscle.

I think the amounts of protein people eat on these fitness forums is WAY overkill.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.07%

I would grab some xtend and cut back on the shakes. One after your workout should be enough. Maybe one before your go to bed also. Drink water all the time and you won't feel the need to drink 100 shakes a day.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

Thanks guys for the replies. I just got that deal on Nutraplanet, for Scivation Xtend. The one with two 1000+ gram tubs, plus one 300+ gram tub for 75 dallors.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.07%

Thanks guys for the replies. I just got that deal on Nutraplanet, for Scivation Xtend. The one with two 1000+ gram tubs, plus one 300+ gram tub for 75 dallors.
    Thats a great deal. I just got my three tubs a few days ago. What flavors did you choose?
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.3%

Quote Originally Posted by AM07 View Post
    300 grams of protein?? lol, no one in their right mind needs that much protein a day to build muscle.

I think the amounts of protein people eat on these fitness forums is WAY overkill.
    I agree 100%. With the costs of whey I don't know how someone could afford to drink that many shakes. Real food is always better. That said, a protein drink first thing in the morning and PWO is the only time I use them.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

I got Watermelon, and Lemonade in the larger tubs, and a small tub with Orange. I was going to get grape but I read some where that it tasted just like dimetapp, the cough syrup.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.87%

Gsrhtch,
    I am taking it that your in the Marine Corps, as a Sgt. I have a few question for you, since I leave for MCRD Parris Island in May. Mark
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.07%

Gsrhtch,
    I am taking it that your in the Marine Corps, as a Sgt. I have a few question for you, since I leave for MCRD Parris Island in May. Mark
    Ask away. PM me whenever you want. I'm always willing to answer questions.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.74%

i'd say that yeah, your recovery time will be quicker if you add the bcaa's

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whey protein vs whole food after hard workout
    By chris9394 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM