Beta-Alanine @ 10g daily

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Another user turned me onto this, and although I've only been doing this for a few days, the results have far surpassed my expectations. He recommended to dose at 10g daily, and that it was optimal to take in ~1g every hour.

Beforehand, I was dosing around 1.8g twice daily (Body Octane). Dosages were at least 5 hours apart, usually pre-workout and again before bed.

Thanks to that user, and NP's bulk powder, I upped my dosage to around 4g pre-workout, and I toss down ~1/4 teaspoon (nearly 1g BA) every hour or so afterwards, until I reach 10 grams for the day. I'm about 3 or 4 days into doing so, and my endurance has noticably increased. My workouts have stayed similiar, and other supplementation and food intake the same, but I have noticed an unmistakable increase in endurance.

If you have the bulk powder, I definitly recommend trying it. Placebo effect has always been strong in me, but I've played around with dosages enough to know what could be placebo and what is definitly improving my endurance. I'm normally slightly sore as well from previous workouts during the week, but none to report as of yet. Definitly give it a shot if you don't already!

scrappydog

Awards
I was using 2-6g/day and also found 10 to be better.
Poliquin suggests 10g for what it's worth.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
As cheap as this stuff is, it'd be easy to afford high doses like this (4.19 cents per gram at 500g bulk). I've been using 4g pre-lift and 3g pre cardio, I think I'll start going to around 12g total throughout the day and see what happens.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
As cheap as this stuff is, it'd be easy to afford high doses like this (4.19 cents per gram at 500g bulk). I've been using 4g pre-lift and 3g pre cardio, I think I'll start going to around 12g total throughout the day and see what happens.
Cardio was where I felt the signifigant increase since I increased my dosage. Don't have much to report as to changes in lifting (hasn't been enough time), but I felt stronger throughout my sessions, noticably.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Very cool. Good to hear real world feedback on these recommendations. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
how's the taste?
Absolutely zero taste, with all honesty. That makes dosing 6-8 times a day easier. The texture is that of white sugar, but there is literally no taste whatsoever. Doesn't clump, or anything worth mentioning that would be bothersome (NP's bulk powder). Personally, I just take a small swig of water and toss the 1/4tsp into my mouth (yes, i eat the teaspoon as well, makes me feel manly). The easiest of bulk powders I've ever worked with, without a doubt.

tattoopierced1

i'd be scared of what my skin would feel like with that much.. 2g makes my skin all tingly to the point where it is sometimes uncomfortable... might have to try the 1g every hour thing sometime though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'd be scared of what my skin would feel like with that much.. 2g makes my skin all tingly to the point where it is sometimes uncomfortable... might have to try the 1g every hour thing sometime though.
I have noticed the tingles only when I take it on an empty-stomach. I have been taking 4g BA and 2g Citrulline for a while and it has given me some great endurance.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
For most people, the niacin flush subsides over the course of a few weeks or so. I still feel a light flushness when I dose around 3-4g at a single time. At 1g around every hour, I don't notice a thing. I'm sure you already knew this as well - the flush is completely harmless (is actually beneficial.. brings toxins to the top capellaries of the skin for RIDDANCE!)

tattoopierced1

I have noticed the tingles only when I take it on an empty-stomach. I have been taking 4g BA and 2g Citrulline for a while and it has given me some great endurance.
I'll be trying out some BA then added to my Xtend before I roll tomorrow..... pretty hyped up, get to roll with a 260lb BJJ purple belt that also takes Sambo... I need my endurance for tomorrow....

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Ah yes, touche. I too only notice the flush if taken without food.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I'll be trying out some BA then added to my Xtend before I roll tomorrow..... pretty hyped up, get to roll with a 260lb BJJ purple belt that also takes Sambo... I need my endurance for tomorrow....
I don't mean to demotivate you, but BA takes time for it's endurance effects to really become harnessed. Works with carnosine levels, which need to be built up in the body (some weeks). Sort of like creatine, for example... needs time to accustom. You may gain some endurance immediately(placebo or not), but BA really comes to fruition in the longer run, over the course of a few months. There, it's exactly the OPPOSITE of creatine.. in terms of results that is.

tattoopierced1

I don't mean to demotivate you, but BA takes time for it's endurance effects to really become harnessed. Works with carnosine levels, which need to be built up in the body (some weeks). Sort of like creatine, for example... needs time to accustom. You may gain some endurance immediately(placebo or not), but BA really comes to fruition in the longer run, over the course of a few months. There, it's exactly the OPPOSITE of creatine.. in terms of results that is.
i realize that, which is why I am going to start seeing if it helps starting tomorrow...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is a great stack for BJJ. Throw in some SuperCarb and you have the same thing that I use.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
A 50/50 mix of creatine mono and beta alanine at 10g each per day is supposed to be a killer combo. Anyone wanna try this? I will be soon as soon as my nutraplanet order arrives, but I won't be able to report for a while with any real results.

I'm just guessing here, but if you get the tingling you're "overloading" the transport system used for beta alanine. The smaller doses like 8 times a day helps to avoid this.

However Poliquin mentions this dosing protocol as well:

How much should you take?

Here is a protocol that works for most individuals:

* 10 caps each 20 and 40 minutes into the workout on training days
* 10 caps at breakfast, 10 caps at lunch on non-training days

(each cap contains 400mg BA and 350mg CM)

Perhaps a combo could be tried of small frequent doses plus ones peri-workout.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression that for BA to be really effective it had to be taken spread out throughout the day, not just in one or two big doses? I personally love the stuff. When I started taking it, I was using Biotest's extended release version, three times a day. I cut back once the effects were in full swing to 4 grams a day, and didn't see any drop in performance. I just take bulk BA a few times a day, now. I might try going up to ten gr or above, just to see, but everything I've read about it has said that once you've become "saturated" or however it's put, that it isn't going to do anything to take more..

BA is one of my favorite supps. The sudden boost in endurance in biking and lifting was plain weird. Never had a supp make THAT much difference before, and the way it just kicked in one day freaked me out.

tattoopierced1

couldnt find the answer for this, so here it goes. I make up 30oz of water with 30g BCAAs that I sip on throughout the day, I make this up in advance and let it sit in the fridge. I want to mix in 10g of BA in it, but didnt know if the BA would be OK if pre mixed and possibly sat for a few hours. I know its fine with BCAAs, but wasnt for sure and dont remember reading anything on BA.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to clear this up:

Poliquin's Law

Recommended dose of any supplement x 10 = Poliquin's Dose

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I've been dosing ~10g daily for a good few days now, maybe 4 or 5, and it it's effects became even more apparant for myself today. Had my longer run day of the week, and endurance was definitly up by far. My workouts are fairly similiar, at least runs wise, so I can really feel the difference from last week to this week. If you have the NP bulk powder, you must give this a try! Lots of fun!

Kilo1636

Kilo1636

Awards
Since BA causes such a great increase in endurance/strength, does it drop greatly after use is discontinued? if so, would it help to gradually stop taking it over several weeks?