Calcium free pre-bed protein? - AnabolicMinds.com

Calcium free pre-bed protein?

  1. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Calcium free pre-bed protein?


    Any ideas for a good calcium free prebed protein? You shouldn't take calcium with ZMA (ZMK for me ) and i want to find something that is slow digestion/absorption like casein, but calcium free.

    Any ideas?
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

  2. RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1986

    Reputation

    I buy gallon jugs of egg whites, and have the equivalent of 10 egg whites before bed. I think thats calcium free.
  3. Ev52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    33134

    Reputation

    I take my zmk an hour before bed and then put the shake on might night stand and chug it right before I fall asleep.
    •   
       

  4. Cub
    Cub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Just take the Zinc product an hour before bed and consume the shake before your head hits the pillow.
  5. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    I buy gallon jugs of egg whites, and have the equivalent of 10 egg whites before bed. I think thats calcium free.
    eggs are, but they also go thru the system in about an hour.


    Anyone know what soy's digestion time is? or maybe that gemma or buckwheat proteins?
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    754

    Reputation

    I don't eat closer than 3 hours before bed, insulin blocks night time gh release, I just make sure my last meal is fatty. A few BCAA before bed if I have been training. Since doing this I sleep much better and I am more motivated at breakfast. Not for every type of body though I guess.
  7. Dancebot 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    30561

    Reputation

    I eat tuna right out of the can, with either pepper or mustard. I also take my Zinc 30 minutes to an hour before I eat it. Tuna is not the slowest, but I have it with some flax and fish oil to slow it down.
  8. Dancebot 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    30561

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    eggs are, but they also go thru the system in about an hour.


    Anyone know what soy's digestion time is? or maybe that gemma or buckwheat proteins?
    Soy is pretty fast. Eggs whites go through your system in an hour, but the yolks are slow digesting, if I'm not mistaken.
  9. RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1986

    Reputation

    Interesting. I though egg whites were one of the slower digesting proteins. I'll have to do some reading.
  10. Dancebot 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    30561

    Reputation

    I'm pretty sure I'm right about that, but I will conceed I could be wrong.
  11. Topfueljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    120

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

    Anyone know what soy's digestion time is?

    Soy?!?!?! Ewwww! Why would you want soy?! Soy sucks in comparison to whey protein. Of course that still leaves you with the whole calcium problem.........
    Like mentioned above, take the ZMK on an empty stomach an hour or so before your normal pre bed shake and you should be fine.
  12. liquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    Rep Power
    75829

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Interesting. I though egg whites were one of the slower digesting proteins. I'll have to do some reading.
    I think it is slower in a way of process of breakdown where there is fat content in the yolk.
  13. LT*
    LT*'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    44
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    293

    Reputation

    I would think that ZMK, since it's not coated would digest within the hour. It shouldn't be an issue.
  14. amadorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Just take the Zinc product an hour before bed and consume the shake before your head hits the pillow.
    This is what I do, or I run a solid food meal. Maybe some Tuna, Beef, or Chicken with some veggies and healthy fat.
  15. arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    204

    Reputation

    egg protein + a little fiber
  16. Topfueljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    120

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by arjun4 View Post
    egg protein + a little fiber
    X2 !!

    Good advice arjun4! I think most of us could stand to use some more fiber in our diets. It helps slow down the digestion process and allows our bodies to get more protein out of the food (due to sitting in the digestive system longer) than if it were taken without the fiber.
  17. poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    I don't eat closer than 3 hours before bed, insulin blocks night time gh release, I just make sure my last meal is fatty. A few BCAA before bed if I have been training. Since doing this I sleep much better and I am more motivated at breakfast. Not for every type of body though I guess.
    im not 100% on this but i think just protien and fats can be taken without causing a spike in insulin, I think it requires a carb to reall y jump insulin production.
  18. kanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    105

    Reputation

    ^ really?

    but for an 18 yr old whose bulking, which one is more detrimental? going wihtout food for 10 hrs or not getting the night time GH release?
  19. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kanny View Post
    ^ really?

    but for an 18 yr old whose bulking, which one is more detrimental? going wihtout food for 10 hrs or not getting the night time GH release?
    its so small of a difference that if you tried each for a month you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you really want the best of both, mix 15-20g of BCAAs into water, drink some before you go to bed, and then some each time you wake up to pee
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  20. IntensePump's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    275

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    I buy gallon jugs of egg whites, and have the equivalent of 10 egg whites before bed. I think thats calcium free.
    Where can you buy gallon jugs of egg whites??? I have to buy the little cartons from wal-mart...

    I want the gallon jugs!!!
  21. Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,008
    Rep Power
    917970

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    its so small of a difference that if you tried each for a month you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you really want the best of both, mix 15-20g of BCAAs into water, drink some before you go to bed, and then some each time you wake up to pee
    You can use egg protein with some EFAs (almond butter has been my vice lately). Another option is whole foods; tuna with some avocado and seasonings is a good idea.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. Topfueljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    120

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    im not 100% on this but i think just protien and fats can be taken without causing a spike in insulin, I think it requires a carb to reall y jump insulin production.
    If your saying that protein and fats cause no insulin production, that's incorrect..........but if you meant that protein and fats cause less of an insulin response than carbs (especially high GI carbs) then, yes, you are correct. I thought someone might read that and think that consuming only protein and fats would cause zero insulin response and figure that that wouldn't interfere with GH release which just ins't the case. However, to reiterate another posters point above, the difference between no food overnight and having a GH response and having food during the night and lowering ones GH response, the difference most likely isn't big enough to worry about. Sleeping till you normally wake with zero food consumption during those hours won't cause all or most of your hard earned muscle to dwindle away. I believe the majority of the GH release occurs during the REM portion of sleep which is typically 3-4 hours after falling asleep. Let's not forget that food isn't the sole ingredient in the muscle building/recovery process and that uninterupted rest (when important hormones are released and recovery takes place) is just as important as what and when we eat. Bottom line though, as long as you are getting a solid 7-8 hours of sleep a night, one needn't worry about not consuming food during that time or immediately pre-bed. Just make sure to adhere to your diet (calories and macros) during the day and you'll be fine.
  23. poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Topfueljunkie View Post
    If your saying that protein and fats cause no insulin production, that's incorrect..........but if you meant that protein and fats cause less of an insulin response than carbs (especially high GI carbs) then, yes, you are correct. I thought someone might read that and think that consuming only protein and fats would cause zero insulin response and figure that that wouldn't interfere with GH release which just ins't the case. However, to reiterate another posters point above, the difference between no food overnight and having a GH response and having food during the night and lowering ones GH response, the difference most likely isn't big enough to worry about. Sleeping till you normally wake with zero food consumption during those hours won't cause all or most of your hard earned muscle to dwindle away. I believe the majority of the GH release occurs during the REM portion of sleep which is typically 3-4 hours after falling asleep. Let's not forget that food isn't the sole ingredient in the muscle building/recovery process and that uninterupted rest (when important hormones are released and recovery takes place) is just as important as what and when we eat. Bottom line though, as long as you are getting a solid 7-8 hours of sleep a night, one needn't worry about not consuming food during that time or immediately pre-bed. Just make sure to adhere to your diet (calories and macros) during the day and you'll be fine.
    no I thought the word spike and JUMP made my intentions clear... guess not really. no I was just saying that they dont casue an increase enough to really interfere. Carbs are what are going to cause the largest spike in insulin release. I dont think anything beyond a prebed shake in water with a lil oil or efa's is neccesary. the point you made above is very valid that its justas important to keep the gh release and other hormonal outputs going during night then wake up to refeed.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Pre-bed Casein Protein ?
    By thahotboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 12:35 AM
  2. Pre-bed Shake
    By quigley in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 08:33 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 07:48 PM
  5. POWERFUL: Pre-bed dose
    By Rostam in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in