Calcium free pre-bed protein?

1. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Calcium free pre-bed protein?

Any ideas for a good calcium free prebed protein? You shouldn't take calcium with ZMA (ZMK for me ) and i want to find something that is slow digestion/absorption like casein, but calcium free.

Any ideas?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I buy gallon jugs of egg whites, and have the equivalent of 10 egg whites before bed. I think thats calcium free.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.71%

I take my zmk an hour before bed and then put the shake on might night stand and chug it right before I fall asleep.
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.45%

Just take the Zinc product an hour before bed and consume the shake before your head hits the pillow.
  5. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    I buy gallon jugs of egg whites, and have the equivalent of 10 egg whites before bed. I think thats calcium free.
    eggs are, but they also go thru the system in about an hour.

Anyone know what soy's digestion time is? or maybe that gemma or buckwheat proteins?
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I don't eat closer than 3 hours before bed, insulin blocks night time gh release, I just make sure my last meal is fatty. A few BCAA before bed if I have been training. Since doing this I sleep much better and I am more motivated at breakfast. Not for every type of body though I guess.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.3%

I eat tuna right out of the can, with either pepper or mustard. I also take my Zinc 30 minutes to an hour before I eat it. Tuna is not the slowest, but I have it with some flax and fish oil to slow it down.
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.3%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    eggs are, but they also go thru the system in about an hour.

Anyone know what soy's digestion time is? or maybe that gemma or buckwheat proteins?
    Soy is pretty fast. Eggs whites go through your system in an hour, but the yolks are slow digesting, if I'm not mistaken.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.29%

Interesting. I though egg whites were one of the slower digesting proteins. I'll have to do some reading.
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.3%

I'm pretty sure I'm right about that, but I will conceed I could be wrong.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.98%

Anyone know what soy's digestion time is?

Soy?!?!?! Ewwww! Why would you want soy?! Soy sucks in comparison to whey protein. Of course that still leaves you with the whole calcium problem.........
    Like mentioned above, take the ZMK on an empty stomach an hour or so before your normal pre bed shake and you should be fine.
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76%

Interesting. I though egg whites were one of the slower digesting proteins. I'll have to do some reading.
    I think it is slower in a way of process of breakdown where there is fat content in the yolk.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.56%

I would think that ZMK, since it's not coated would digest within the hour. It shouldn't be an issue.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.76%

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Just take the Zinc product an hour before bed and consume the shake before your head hits the pillow.
    This is what I do, or I run a solid food meal. Maybe some Tuna, Beef, or Chicken with some veggies and healthy fat.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.62%

egg protein + a little fiber
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.98%

Quote Originally Posted by arjun4 View Post
    egg protein + a little fiber
    X2 !!

Good advice arjun4! I think most of us could stand to use some more fiber in our diets. It helps slow down the digestion process and allows our bodies to get more protein out of the food (due to sitting in the digestive system longer) than if it were taken without the fiber.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    I don't eat closer than 3 hours before bed, insulin blocks night time gh release, I just make sure my last meal is fatty. A few BCAA before bed if I have been training. Since doing this I sleep much better and I am more motivated at breakfast. Not for every type of body though I guess.
    im not 100% on this but i think just protien and fats can be taken without causing a spike in insulin, I think it requires a carb to reall y jump insulin production.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.13%

^ really?

but for an 18 yr old whose bulking, which one is more detrimental? going wihtout food for 10 hrs or not getting the night time GH release?
  19. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

Quote Originally Posted by kanny View Post
    ^ really?

but for an 18 yr old whose bulking, which one is more detrimental? going wihtout food for 10 hrs or not getting the night time GH release?
    its so small of a difference that if you tried each for a month you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you really want the best of both, mix 15-20g of BCAAs into water, drink some before you go to bed, and then some each time you wake up to pee
  20. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.78%

Where can you buy gallon jugs of egg whites??? I have to buy the little cartons from wal-mart...

I want the gallon jugs!!!
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

its so small of a difference that if you tried each for a month you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you really want the best of both, mix 15-20g of BCAAs into water, drink some before you go to bed, and then some each time you wake up to pee
    You can use egg protein with some EFAs (almond butter has been my vice lately). Another option is whole foods; tuna with some avocado and seasonings is a good idea.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.98%

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    im not 100% on this but i think just protien and fats can be taken without causing a spike in insulin, I think it requires a carb to reall y jump insulin production.
    If your saying that protein and fats cause no insulin production, that's incorrect..........but if you meant that protein and fats cause less of an insulin response than carbs (especially high GI carbs) then, yes, you are correct. I thought someone might read that and think that consuming only protein and fats would cause zero insulin response and figure that that wouldn't interfere with GH release which just ins't the case. However, to reiterate another posters point above, the difference between no food overnight and having a GH response and having food during the night and lowering ones GH response, the difference most likely isn't big enough to worry about. Sleeping till you normally wake with zero food consumption during those hours won't cause all or most of your hard earned muscle to dwindle away. I believe the majority of the GH release occurs during the REM portion of sleep which is typically 3-4 hours after falling asleep. Let's not forget that food isn't the sole ingredient in the muscle building/recovery process and that uninterupted rest (when important hormones are released and recovery takes place) is just as important as what and when we eat. Bottom line though, as long as you are getting a solid 7-8 hours of sleep a night, one needn't worry about not consuming food during that time or immediately pre-bed. Just make sure to adhere to your diet (calories and macros) during the day and you'll be fine.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Topfueljunkie View Post
    If your saying that protein and fats cause no insulin production, that's incorrect..........but if you meant that protein and fats cause less of an insulin response than carbs (especially high GI carbs) then, yes, you are correct. I thought someone might read that and think that consuming only protein and fats would cause zero insulin response and figure that that wouldn't interfere with GH release which just ins't the case. However, to reiterate another posters point above, the difference between no food overnight and having a GH response and having food during the night and lowering ones GH response, the difference most likely isn't big enough to worry about. Sleeping till you normally wake with zero food consumption during those hours won't cause all or most of your hard earned muscle to dwindle away. I believe the majority of the GH release occurs during the REM portion of sleep which is typically 3-4 hours after falling asleep. Let's not forget that food isn't the sole ingredient in the muscle building/recovery process and that uninterupted rest (when important hormones are released and recovery takes place) is just as important as what and when we eat. Bottom line though, as long as you are getting a solid 7-8 hours of sleep a night, one needn't worry about not consuming food during that time or immediately pre-bed. Just make sure to adhere to your diet (calories and macros) during the day and you'll be fine.
    no I thought the word spike and JUMP made my intentions clear... guess not really. no I was just saying that they dont casue an increase enough to really interfere. Carbs are what are going to cause the largest spike in insulin release. I dont think anything beyond a prebed shake in water with a lil oil or efa's is neccesary. the point you made above is very valid that its justas important to keep the gh release and other hormonal outputs going during night then wake up to refeed.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pre-bed Casein Protein ?
    By thahotboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 01:35 AM
  2. Pre-bed Shake
    By quigley in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 09:33 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
  4. Replies: 14