Supplement Advice

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I am just getting back into lifting after a long absence, and I am just overwhelmed when it comes to supplements.

(To give you an idea as to just how long its been Creatine Monohydrate was still new when I stopped lifting)

There are a lot of new products available, and I am especially confused with the all of the available products that effect your hormone production.

Right now I am taking Whey protein and creatine.

I was thinking of adding Animal Pump or NoXplode along with Gaspari Nutritions Halodrol-50. I am also curious about Anabolic Xtremes Mass FX, and Hyperdrol X2.

I am 29 and things like liver toxicity are a bit more important to me than they were when I was 17, so with that in mind I am looking forward to reading any and all responses.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I am just getting back into lifting after a long absence, and I am just overwhelmed when it comes to supplements.

(To give you an idea as to just how long its been Creatine Monohydrate was still new when I stopped lifting)

There are a lot of new products available, and I am especially confused with the all of the available products that effect your hormone production.

Right now I am taking Whey protein and creatine.

I was thinking of adding Animal Pump or NoXplode along with Gaspari Nutritions Halodrol-50. I am also curious about Anabolic Xtremes Mass FX, and Hyperdrol X2.

I am 29 and things like liver toxicity are a bit more important to me than they were when I was 17, so with that in mind I am looking forward to reading any and all responses.
Stay with creatine and whey. The other things you mentioned are way too advanced for some one basically new to training. Halodrol is a steroid, don't even touch it. Don't make the mistake of thinking that supplements will get you to where you want to go faster than you would without them. Diet and training must be in order first. You have to build up to using these anabolic supplements, because if you don't have anything to start with, then its impossible to improve upon it. Thats exactly what supplements are; they don't give you anything, they improve whats already in place. Get your program together first. If a great physique came easy, every one would have one.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Stay with creatine and whey. The other things you mentioned are way too advanced for some one basically new to training. Halodrol is a steroid, don't even touch it. Don't make the mistake of thinking that supplements will get you to where you want to go faster than you would without them. Diet and training must be in order first. You have to build up to using these anabolic supplements, because if you don't have anything to start with, then its impossible to improve upon it. Thats exactly what supplements are; they don't give you anything, they improve whats already in place. Get your program together first. If a great physique came easy, every one would have one.
Personally I would try to stay away from creatines that have stims in them. I would get you some good ole tried and true monohydrate. Maybe in a few months you can move on to stims.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses.

I have my program down to a science, but I am still working out the kinks with my diet.

What brands of creatine and whey protein would you recommend?

Thanks again for your responses.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses.

I have my program down to a science, but I am still working out the kinks with my diet.

What brands of creatine and whey protein would you recommend?

Thanks again for your responses.
There are a ton of reasonably priced priced proteins out there. You have to look at the label and figure out how the cals, carbs etc... will fit into your diet. Some proteins are geared towards low carb diets and some are more geared towards weight gainers. This is something you might find educational to research on your own. It will help you a lot.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

tattoopierced1

Stay away from the majority of stuff at this point since your just getting into lifting. Just stick with a good whey protein, creatine, and some BCAAs and you'll be good for a while. Really focus on your diet rather than supplementation at this point.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Stay away from the majority of stuff at this point since your just getting into lifting. Just stick with a good whey protein, creatine, and some BCAAs and you'll be good for a while. Really focus on your diet rather than supplementation at this point.
Exactly! You don't want to get to the point where you become dependent on things like this. Most of the gains I have made I contribute to my diet in it's entirety.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
My short term dieting goal is to lose about 15 lbs. of fat. For the time being my diet is high protein/low carb/low to moderate fat. I haven't been back at it long enough to work out the proper ratio. I am hoping with my current routine that I can keep the calories at or around 2,000.

Monday: Chest

5 sets flat bench 12-15 reps
3 sets incline dumbell press 10 reps
3 sets flys 12-15 reps
3 sets dumbell/barbell pullovers 10 reps
5 sets pushups

Tuesday - cardio

brisk walk-jog

Wednesday - Back
5 sets dumbell rows 12-15 reps
3 sets front lat pulldowns 10 reps
3 sets rear lat pulldowns 10 reps
3 sets seated rows 10 reps

Thursday - Shoulders
Military Press - 5 sets of 15 reps
side, front, and rear dumbell raises - 3 sets of 10 each

cardio - brisk walk in morning

Friday - Biceps and Triceps

seated dumbell curls - 5 sets of 15
concentration curls - 3 sets of 10
seated hammer curls - 3 sets of 10
preacher curls- 3 sets of 10
lying presses - 3 sets of 10
triceps kickback - 5 sets of 15
triceps pushdowns - 5 sets of 15
bench dips- 3 sets of 10

Saturday - cardio

brisk walk in morning

Obviously I am not doing some very important excercises like deadlifts, squats, standing dumbell and barbell work, and shrugs. I can no longer do these excercises because of two spine injuries I sustained several years back, the risk of aggrivating the injuries is much lower if I avoid such movements.

For legs I will be stuck with doing movements like leg curls and so forth on my shoulder days.

So in essence my short term goals are to reduce body fat while increasing lean muscle mass (Sorry I should have included this info much sooner)

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My short term dieting goal is to lose about 15 lbs. of fat. For the time being my diet is high protein/low carb/low to moderate fat. I haven't been back at it long enough to work out the proper ratio. I am hoping with my current routine that I can keep the calories at or around 2,000.

Monday: Chest

5 sets flat bench 12-15 reps
3 sets incline dumbell press 10 reps
3 sets flys 12-15 reps
3 sets dumbell/barbell pullovers 10 reps
5 sets pushups

Tuesday - cardio

brisk walk-jog

Wednesday - Back
5 sets dumbell rows 12-15 reps
3 sets front lat pulldowns 10 reps
3 sets rear lat pulldowns 10 reps
3 sets seated rows 10 reps

Thursday - Shoulders
Military Press - 5 sets of 15 reps
side, front, and rear dumbell raises - 3 sets of 10 each

cardio - brisk walk in morning

Friday - Biceps and Triceps

seated dumbell curls - 5 sets of 15
concentration curls - 3 sets of 10
seated hammer curls - 3 sets of 10
preacher curls- 3 sets of 10
lying presses - 3 sets of 10
triceps kickback - 5 sets of 15
triceps pushdowns - 5 sets of 15
bench dips- 3 sets of 10

Saturday - cardio

brisk walk in morning

Obviously I am not doing some very important excercises like deadlifts, squats, standing dumbell and barbell work, and shrugs. You may have also noticed that I can no longer do these excercises because of two spine injuries I sustained several years back, the risk of aggrivating the injuries is much lower if I avoid such movements.

For legs I will be stuck with doing movements like leg curls and so forth on my shoulder days.

So in essence my short term goals are to reduce body fat while increasing lean muscle mass (Sorry I should have included this info much sooner)
Well, You definitely want to stay above 10-12 reps if you are attempting to lose weight. Keep in mind if you are sort of new to lifting, you will be building muscle too, and you may get scattered results from a scale.

tattoopierced1

its best to use a combination of scale and clothes feel when determining a recomp IMO.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
its best to use a combination of scale and clothes feel when determining a recomp IMO.
This is a good way to gauge as well. If you are truly losing weight, your clothes will feel bigger. What are your stats by the way?

BeastMode

BeastMode

Awards
think about some up right rows on shoulder day, a little less set volume on chest + arms days. you dont want to risk overtraining, instead of incorporating all of those exercises into one days worth of work, vary the selection of the exercises from arm/chest day to the next time you do arms or chest and you will probably see better results

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
This is a good way to gauge as well. If you are truly losing weight, your clothes will feel bigger. What are your stats by the way?
nearly 6'2
weight 255
chest 48
waist 38
arms 17

I do not know my body fat at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was 18-20%

I trained religiously for 6 years, but had to stop when work got to be too much.

Like you said I am primarily going to let the way my clothes fit be the judge of my progress.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
think about some up right rows on shoulder day, a little less set volume on chest + arms days. you dont want to risk overtraining, instead of incorporating all of those exercises into one days worth of work, vary the selection of the exercises from arm/chest day to the next time you do arms or chest and you will probably see better results
Good point, this program is pretty similar to what I was doing when I was at a much more advanced state than I am at the moment. So far so good though, my muscles respond to training very quickly.

Variation in my program is something that is never very far from my mind. Pre- back injuries I would generally go from periods of heavy lifting to periods of high reps low weight to get through plateaus. However, this go around I will probably have to focus more on keeping the reps fairly high, the weight fairly low, and keeping my body guessing.

DIALEDIN

DIALEDIN

Awards
Sorry not into prohormones - but the NO and creatine can work well for some folks good luck