Something for stress?

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys recommend to relieve stress/anxiety (non-script)? I want something really effective. I need something to more or less calm me down, but not hinder my function in school and such. Anyone have any tried and true supplements that have worked for them?

DIALEDIN

DIALEDIN

Awards
Hello I recently published a book that addresses that question - I have included a chapter below - if you want to know more, the book is called DIALED IN -
http:/stores.lulu.com/ryan4748

Good luck to you
Chapter 9 –
TECHNIQUES FOR RELAXATION

How Do I Relax? Easier Said Than Done - Until Now!

“Having some quiet time in your life, I think, is hugely important.”
Mariel Hemingway

Supplementation Support

In my research and from personal use I have found the following supplements to be helpful with sleeping difficulties: melatonin, green tea, theanine, and 5-HTP.
Melatonin is a natural brain hormone regulated by light. It is essential for normal sleep and wakefulness cycling, especially as you age. Melatonin secreted by the pineal gland regulates oxytocin produced by the pituitary gland, which in turn regulates testosterone secretion from the testicles. Note that if you are taking beta-blockers (often used in the treatment of high blood pressure), they can reduce the amount of melatonin secreted by the brain. Melatonin is available in supplement form, and can be taken 30 minutes before bedtime to reset your internal clock and help you establish a normal sleeping schedule. It is often used by people who travel across time zones and shift workers that need to reset their internal clocks. However, it can be used for people with insomnia to help you get to sleep. It is not suitable for prolonged, regular use to get to sleep.
Naturally caffeine free green tea can be taken to help you relax before sleep. The amino acid in the green tea that creates a relaxing effect is called theanine. This amino acid is also available in supplement form. Theanine in its free form amino acid state is called L-theanine (gamma-ethylamino-L-glutamic acid). It is found almost exclusively in tea plants. If you have recently consumed coffee or an energy drink, this amino acid will counteract the effects of caffeine on the nervous system by creating a state of deep relaxation and mental alertness. L-theanine has a significant effect on improving memory and learning ability. It might also influence emotions, due to its effects on the release of dopamine, and affect the regulation of blood pressure. L-theanine reduces stress and anxiety, however does not have a sedative effect. It can help reduce stress without causing sleepiness.
5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is derived from the amino acid tryptophan. It helps improve sleep patterns and promotes the body's production of serotonin. (For more information on serotonin, reference Appendix C3 Hormone Reference). It is known for putting people to sleep after eating a lot of Thanksgiving turkey since tryptophan is one of the amino acids in the profile of turkey meat. However, in those situations overeating and alcohol consumption are the primary causes of tiredness. 5-HTP should be taken before bedtime on an empty stomach to be effective.

Is hormone support prior to sleep effective?
One of the best ways to stimulate natural hormone secretion is through a supplement for hormonal support containing arginine pyroglutamate and lysine monohydrochloride. When taken on an empty stomach at bed time, these supplements can increase biologically active Human Growth Hormone (HGH) levels.
ZMA (zinc monomethionine aspartate and magnesium aspartate) is another similar, commonly used supplement. ZMA is a unique anabolic mineral support formula containing highly bioavailable forms of these minerals. ZMA is a supplement developed by Victor Conte (founder of BALCO Laboratories, Burlingame, California). ”ZMA" is trademarked by SNAC Systems Inc. ZMA is a blend of zinc and magnesium, and vitamin B-6 is added for absorption. Studies suggest that ZMA raises testosterone and IGF-1 levels, which aid gains in muscle size and strength. Studies have also suggested that it increases the quality of sleep. Some people have reported that ZMA causes vivid dreams.

Many people suffer from a deficiency in zinc and magnesium. USDA studies have shown that less than 70% of Americans get enough zinc, and less than 40% get enough magnesium. People who exercise use up these minerals at a faster rate, and therefore might be in greater need of supplementation. Low levels of zinc and magnesium negatively effect muscle growth.

ZMA is different from multivitamins that also contains these minerals because it uses a different form of zinc, combined with magnesium and vitamin B6 or pyridoxine. Do not take ZMA together with calcium supplements since calcium prevents the absorption of zinc. For this reason whey and casein proteins, which include calcium, should also be avoided near bedtime if you are taking ZMA. ZMA should be taken on an empty stomach at bedtime, two to three hours after consuming your last meal. Alternately, take ZMA on an empty stomach 30 minutes to an hour before consuming your last meal of the day.

Relaxation Techniques

Give your body time to get ready to shut down, by relaxing in the last two hours before sleep. Establish a ritual to prepare for sleep. Starting two to three hours before bed, write a list of activities to do the next day and prioritize each of them. You might find it helpful to listen to calm music or relaxation tapes. Frank Zane offers CDs such as “relax to the max” and “sleep waves” that are an excellent aide in relaxation. www,frankzane.com There are also devices that synchronize light pulses with relaxing music or nature sounds, accompanied by verbal instructions to help slowly relax you. These devices fit like glasses over your eyes and attach to a tape or CD player to provide relaxation.
Eat your last whole food meal at least two to three hours before bedtime. Do not include carbohydrates if you choose to consume a meal in the evening, which might keep you awake. Do not drink water within two to three hours of bedtime to reduce the chance of waking in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Avoid working out late in the evening if it causes you to feel charged up and therefore makes it more difficult to get to sleep. Make sure you avoid upsetting conflicts and arguments if you are going to sleep soon.

“I like music to soothe me.”
Helen Reddy

Avoiding Overtraining

Symptoms of overtraining include full body tiredness that slowly builds up and can cause injury. If you are training too often, too intensely, not getting enough sleep, or not getting sufficient nutrition and supplementation, you might be over training. You might experience loss of muscle mass/size, feel weak, and mentally lose your desire to exercise. You will reach a plateau in your fat loss progress. Inability to sleep or waking up exhausted with a racing heart beat can also be symptoms of overtraining. Monitor your morning resting heart rate to confirm that you are not suffering from overtraining. If you have exceeded your normal resting heart rate by 10% or more, you have likely over trained and need to reevaluate your program. You should already monitor your heart rate and know what is normal for you. Refer to Chapter 7 Your Plan for Physical Training for more detail regarding a resting heart rate check.
Below are several changes you can adopt to help resolve problems with your physical training program.
 For Weight Training: Reduce the amount of weight you are using in training by 5-10%. Similarly reduce the number or sets or reps executed. Take an extra day or two of rest. This will not set you back on your routine, rather it will actually help in recovery as you evaluate your current capabilities. Change the time of day that you work out or the length of the workout. For example, a two hour workout with weights, ab routines, and cardio might be too much at once for you.
 For Cardio Training: Lower the duration of your training by 25-50%. Reduce your target heart rate range. For example, if your heart rate is operating in the 70-80% of maximum) range during aerobic training, limit this to the 60-70% range. Slow down and seek to improve at a slower rate. You need to be able to recover before exercising again. Decrease the frequency of cardio workouts temporarily.

Ultimately, you need to be able to listen to your body and understand how it reacts to the stress placed on it. Follow the program carefully and evaluate the feedback signs from your body. For example, you will likely become more tired than usual when traveling (for vacation or on a business trip), so do not attempt the largest weights and the toughest workout you can possibly perform. You need to be able to consistently and slowly progress, and realistically appreciate how much your body can handle. Sometimes you will underachieve, while other times you will push yourself too hard, and have to slow down and find an appropriate balance to optimize your improvements.
Your progress will be reversed without sufficient recovery time. This includes sleep each night and recuperation on rest days. Your body can not handle going to the gym daily for more than five to six days a week. In fact, I rarely go to the gym more than three days in a row, and when lifting heavy weights only go every other day. If you feel sluggish, rather than drag yourself through your training, adjust your schedule so you can enjoy rejuvenating workouts after proper recovery.

Have a Massage

Personally, I was very impressed with the benefits of massage for both stress relief and recovery from injury. I had been working out with weights for about a year when I injured a rotator cuff muscle in my shoulder. A massage therapist discovered that my rotary cuff injury had caused my pec muscle to overcompensate by engaging only a few strands of muscle fiber across my upper chest. Since the rest of the muscle was not engaging properly, I had remained at 35 lb dumbbell presses for several weeks. The massage therapist was able to massage the deep tissues of my pec. Within a couple weeks my full pec was engaging during exercise, and six weeks later I was back to my normal 70 to 90 lb dumbbell presses.
When the therapist massaged my biceps, they discovered a knot. Using a proper technique to apply pressure, the knot soon melted away. This dramatically improved the blood flow and allowed my loosened muscles to feel great and perform better than ever.
Benefits of massage:
 improves blood circulation,
 helps stretch tight muscles for greater flexibility (as does stretching),
 works knots of scar tissue out of muscles,
 increases the number of muscle fibers employed in exercise, and
 reduces overall mental stress.

A massage therapist might discover knots of hard muscle tissue that are causing your workouts to be less effective than possible. Massaging these abnormalities out of muscles can provide greater endurance and prevent soreness from turning into a major injury. In some cases, these hardened bands of muscle might be the only muscle fibers receiving messages from the brain to contract during weight lifting. Over time this will cause uneven usage and growth of the muscle, and could cause out of balance conditions and undue stress on portions of the overall muscle.

What types of massage are there?
There are several types of Massage. The sports massage is one of the best for helping to loosen tight muscles. Another popular massage is the deep tissue massage, which provides a rougher working of the muscles to break up any problematic areas of tight muscles, such as scar tissue. A more generally soothing massage is the Swedish massage, which focuses more on relaxing your body.
Drink additional water on the day of a massage to help flush out lactic acid and impurities that get worked lose from the muscles. I do not recommend working out with weights on the same day that you have had a massage.

How often should I have a massage?
This will depend on how intense your workouts are and your budget. If you are performing weight training, I recommend a Swedish or sports massage at least once a month. Unless you are at the advanced level of fitness, only have a deep tissue massage when you feel your body really needs relief from the chronic soreness of tight muscles or knots. More advanced weight training and active athletes such as body builders might benefit from more frequent massages.
Chapter 9 Summary:
Relaxation Techniques

Turn to supplementation support if you are having occasional trouble sleeping. Several relaxation techniques can prepare you for a good night’s sleep. Be aware of the symptoms of over training and take appropriate actions to avoid it.

Treat yourself to a massage. A massage therapist might discover knots of hard muscle tissue that diminish the effectiveness of your workouts. Massaging these abnormalities out of muscles can provide greater endurance and prevent soreness from developing into a major injury.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
MST's ZMK and Somnidren-GH, or USPLabs PowerFULL.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also think about Reset AD, and some adaptogens like Rhodiola Rosea, Bacopa Monnieri, and some Theanine.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
daytime

If I didn't mention before, I want something to relieve stress during the day. I am not really stressed during the night and sleep quite well.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Somnidren works great for this, you could also look into just plain phenibut, as that gives some good stress relief. i also seem to handle stress better on Activate Xtreme, and i believe the Rhodiola has a lot to do with this, so maybe look into some bulk RR

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
I take 5-HTP to relieve stress/anxiety...makes me feel really relaxed...love it! :thumbsup:

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
6grams or more of fish oil a day. It makes me happy and relaxed.

I read somewhere that it increases serotonin production in the brain.

Serotonin calms you down. :)

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Nothing OTC works better for me than some phenibut.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also look at SAMe

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of SAMe Dsade I read somewhere that was explaining about SAMe...but also stated taking St. John's Wart along with 5-HTP can have greater relaxing, anti-depressing affects...any take on that?

- I would assume so logically but I just frown on greatly manipulating serotonin like this...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Serotonergics freak me out...bad experience with St. John's Wort. 5-HTP in low doses is ok, and Tryptophan seems to do me good. SSRIs absolutely cause me to FREAK out.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
I don't think its meant for treating stress but yesterday i tried ALCAR for the first time in bulk form. about 700mg in some juice and i felt pretty damn stress free. also fish oil as stated above.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think a ot of the difficulty in recommending some kind of panacea is that peoples' stress levels increase for a variety of reasons. Oddly enough, my internal stress levels go through the roof if I have nothing to do...no problem to solve...while others stress out due to internal dialogues, external pressures, imagined wrongs, memories, etc. as well as neurochemical imbalances (OCD).

Other than adaptogenics and fish oil, there are none that are really cure alls.

madmakmitch

Awards
i tried st johns wort no good i took it for 1month and it made me depressed same is the best for stress and anxiety works very well im also on 10 mgs of lexepro

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
Maca and trib help me with stress. I'm always in a much better mood when I take them. The original Powerfull put me in a fantastic mood as well. ALCAR gave me energy, but not a whole lot of calming. Get your B vitamins, they help the body make most of it's stress fighting chemicals.

There are many amino acids that are supposed to help stress. Tryptophan is a great option like Dsade said. I use it at night and I notice the effect lasts the rest of the day.

Speaking of which, I would really listen about the supplememnts for better sleep; a good night's sleep sets the tone for the rest of tomarrow and is really where the body will recover and prepare itself to handle stress again the next day. If your body is not rested fully, stress will hit you much harder; while on the other hand if rested, it will deal with it better and leave you calmer all day.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Magnesium helps to calm as well. You can take it during the day, just don't take too much for your GI st one time.

Last edited:
Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Serotonergics freak me out...bad experience with St. John's Wort. 5-HTP in low doses is ok, and Tryptophan seems to do me good. SSRIs absolutely cause me to FREAK out.
My one time experiment with St. Johns Wort was probably the worst experience I have had with a herbal.Will never try that one again.

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
I was taking 5-HTP 50mgs with B6 in it 5x/wk for 3 months and felt really great mentally/stress free/relaxed and NEVER once got depressed from it. I used to take paxil and wellbutrin (not at the same time) and wellbutrin made me extremely agitated all the time over the littlest things and paxil made me very anxious and seriously suicidal/depressed. That was the worst experience I have ever endured and you guys saying depression from St. John's was your worst...I'm just going to throw my bottle of it out the window regardless if everyone responds differently! haha

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
i read somewhere that st john's wort affects the heart..theanine works great for me..mine is more of a social anxiety..relora did nothing for me..bacopa def has promise but i never tried it..you can find a 40% extract cheap(pm me if you need help)