EAA's (Bulk) and BCAA's (Cut) Right?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I was doing searches here on AM but could not find a good thread (only about 5) that gave a good answer about this subject. EAA's are useful on a bulk and BCAA's on a cut right?

In one of the threads, strategicmove said that EAA's mixed with L-Leucine would the best of both worlds. What do you think?

I know a lot of people take BCAA's daily regardless of what 'cycle' (cut, Bulk) they are on.

Would combining them both just be a waste of AA's?

I had an idea of taking 20g of BCAA's on a Cardio day and 15g of EAA's Post-Workout on lifting days.

Watcha think?

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Both can be good for cutting or bulking.

I've seen "pulsing" done with these for workout nutrition: 40g BCAAs during workout, 15g EAA post workout, then 15 minutes later your normal hydrolysed whey/carb drink.

If you want to gain weight, I'm not as familiar with EAAs, but for BCAAs 0.44g/kg bwt is the number to go by. So a 200 lb guy would use about 40g a day, taken between meals. 20-40g can also be taken during the workout in addition to this. If on a budget just go with 20-40g during a workout, but don't waste your time with less than 20g.

EAAs between meals can also be useful but I don't know as much about it. Combining with leucine would be nice for extra benefit.

If you use BCAAs they're supposed to be a 4:1:1 ratio, so I'd buy some bulk leucine and bulk BCAAs and mix them to get that ratio. The great thing is when you mix it up right it ends up BCAAs running you about $32/kg since leucine is cheaper. So cheaper AND more effective....good combo :)

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Both can be good for cutting or bulking.

I've seen "pulsing" done with these for workout nutrition: 40g BCAAs during workout, 15g EAA post workout, then 15 minutes later your normal hydrolysed whey/carb drink.

If you want to gain weight, I'm not as familiar with EAAs, but for BCAAs 0.44g/kg bwt is the number to go by. So a 200 lb guy would use about 40g a day, taken between meals. 20-40g can also be taken during the workout in addition to this. If on a budget just go with 20-40g during a workout, but don't waste your time with less than 20g.

EAAs between meals can also be useful but I don't know as much about it. Combining with leucine would be nice for extra benefit.

If you use BCAAs they're supposed to be a 4:1:1 ratio, so I'd buy some bulk leucine and bulk BCAAs and mix them to get that ratio. The great thing is when you mix it up right it ends up BCAAs running you about $32/kg since leucine is cheaper. So cheaper AND more effective....good combo :)
Man, that is a lot of money though for BCAA's and Leucine. Im not gonna add EAA's due to the extremly high cost.

I'll just take 30g of BCAA's mixed wiith 10g Leucine Daily during the Summer. Thats when I would lose the most muscle is when Im riding bikes, playing baseball, and running around.
Im thinking of adding 10g BCAA's to Xtend for better taste and more BCAA's. I'll have to look at the numbers.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
If you are concerned about cost, just go with whey. seriously. About half the real experts with literature evaluation behind them still recommended protein from food and whey.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Not the cheapest thing at full doses per day and with workouts, at probably up to 2kg/month or about $65/mo. However 1 kg could probably get you the 40g dose during workouts for around $32/mo. Not bad if you ask me. (that's with 6 workouts a week at 40g each to use 1kg of BCAAs per month for just workout doses).

But hell, it works!

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Not the cheapest thing at full doses per day and with workouts, at probably up to 2kg/month or about $65/mo. However 1 kg could probably get you the 40g dose during workouts for around $32/mo. Not bad if you ask me. (that's with 6 workouts a week at 40g each to use 1kg of BCAAs per month for just workout doses).

But hell, it works!
I only workout 3 days a week so thats a great deal then.
$17/month for 40g/Workout. Thats affordable.

Here's a plan I just made up:

(Lifting)
-4 Scoops Xtend
-15g BCAA's
-5g Leucine
(During Workout)

-5g Leucine
-5g Creatine
(Post-Workout)

(Off Day)
-2 Scoops Extend
-10g BCAA's
-5g Leucine
(Throughout Day)

5g Creatine
(Morning)

That would cost $30/month but I would be taking them everyday just less on off days.

I like your idea and all the information you gave me. Thanks a lot.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
If you are concerned about cost, just go with whey. seriously. About half the real experts with literature evaluation behind them still recommended protein from food and whey.
You make a good point here though. Although, BCAA's are metabolized(sp?) in the muscles. I'm not sure about whey.

I have the food, my mom buys tons of it. And I only take 1-2 shakes/day.

Do you take BCAA's?

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Whey is awesome............IF you tolerate it.

It's actually fairly common for people to not tolerate whey well. Some probably develop a sensitivity from consuming so much of it day in and day out, and some just might not tolerate it well because of it being dairy-derived (some note mucus production). BCAAs are pretty hypoallergenic since they're aminos.

The other issue is whey pre or during workout. It does require SOME digestion and digestion is shut down during a workout. Something like BCAAs, EAAs, or a highly hydrolysed whey won't require this and is more effective DURING or immediately before. After the workout whey works fine.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Whey is awesome............IF you tolerate it.
It's actually fairly common for people to not tolerate whey well. Some probably develop a sensitivity from consuming so much of it day in and day out, and some just might not tolerate it well because of it being dairy-derived (some note mucus production). BCAAs are pretty hypoallergenic since they're aminos.

The other issue is whey pre or during workout. It does require SOME digestion and digestion is shut down during a workout. Something like BCAAs, EAAs, or a highly hydrolysed whey won't require this and is more effective DURING or immediately before. After the workout whey works fine.

That is the thing..I dont think I can tolerate it at all. I've been taking whey for the past 2 days..and had some stomach problems. Im going to take some today and see what happens.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I'm going on a cut in the spring and have 500g of BCAA's and I planned to take 10g during my cardio. Is that enough, or should I bump it up to 20g per run?

JBerto

Awards
  • Established
BCAAs before or after Cardio?

I'm going on a cut in the spring and have 500g of BCAA's and I planned to take 10g during my cardio. Is that enough, or should I bump it up to 20g per run?
i'm goint on cut too. To avoid catabolism due cardio, we must take the BCAA before or after the morning cardio??

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
10g should do the job quite well.
Awesome. Why do so many people take 20-50g per day though?

i'm goint on cut too. To avoid catabolism due cardio, we must take the BCAA before or after the morning cardio??
I'm going to start sipping on them 10 minutes before I go on my run and then take 5g of Leucine when I am done.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
And what about taking 6gr.EAAs + 35gr.Carbs after cardio?

It seems its the best combo to avoid catabolism after exercise:
http://www.the-aps.org/press/journal/04/7.htm
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/96/2/674
Well I could buy some of those too.

My PWO meal for the cut will be:

-Wheat Bagel (40g)
-4 eggs

Hour Later:

-Chicken breast
-2 Slices Wheat Bread

There a lots of studies out there..I may buy some EAA's. I dont know right now. Leucine makes up a lot of the EAA's total.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. Why do so many people take 20-50g per day though?
10g before cardio is enough, but yeah, 0.44g/kg bwt of 4:1:1 ratio BCAAs (leucine:isoleucine:valine) per day divided up between meals is a great way to keep muscle, recovery better, and feel better when cutting. I was referring to just a dose pre-cardio to reduce catabolism and to also reduce cortisol so you have a better cortisol:testosterone ratio to keep more muscle.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
10g before cardio is enough, but yeah, 0.44g/kg bwt of 4:1:1 ratio BCAAs (leucine:isoleucine:valine) per day divided up between meals is a great way to keep muscle, recovery better, and feel better when cutting. I was referring to just a dose pre-cardio to reduce catabolism and to also reduce cortisol so you have a better cortisol:testosterone ratio to keep more muscle.
Alright I see what you mean. So then since i would weigh around 170 during my cut I would want to take roughly 35g daily for better recovery and feeling better while cutting right?

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Alright I see what you mean. So then since i would weigh around 170 during my cut I would want to take roughly 35g daily for better recovery and feeling better while cutting right?

Yup. I find it's great for retaining muscle. BCAAs are also used to reduce mental fatigue, which is never bad when cutting :)

Bulk BCAAs are usually a 2:1:1 ratio. So you have to buy some bulk leucine to add to it to get the 4:1:1 ratio. This is awesome because leucine is cheaper than BCAAs, so it actually drops the cost/kilo down to like $32 for BCAAs. Nice.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Yup. I find it's great for retaining muscle. BCAAs are also used to reduce mental fatigue, which is never bad when cutting :)

Bulk BCAAs are usually a 2:1:1 ratio. So you have to buy some bulk leucine to add to it to get the 4:1:1 ratio. This is awesome because leucine is cheaper than BCAAs, so it actually drops the cost/kilo down to like $32 for BCAAs. Nice.
Yea that really is an added benefit.

During the summer I want to Bulk up again. (more of a lean bulk) but cannot find a good supplments protocol. (my diet is planned out already)
Lifting

5g Creatine Monohydrate
(Pre-Workout)

-Crystal Light
-20g BCAA's
(During Workout)

-5g Leucine
-5g Creatine
-10g EAA's
(Post-Workout)

Off Day

-Crystal Light
-20g BCAA's
(Throughout Day)

5g Creatine
5g EAA's
(Morning)

5g Leucine
5g EAA's
(Night Time)

I also have 2 protein shakes in my diet through the day. At those dosages for 8 weeks..it would cost me about $117 for everything. Is this too much. I think it is..but those are basically the basics.

Any input..(this is for my bulk and not the cut)