Suntheanine?

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Hey quick question, I've tried melatonin for sleeping and for relaxation and i love the product i usually take about 3-4mg before bed and it works wonders, but i was wondering if any1 has tried Suntheanine... b/c it is supposedly very close to melatonin with the same effects. Is it worth the $ or would you guys stay with melatonin.

-Thnx Matt

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey quick question, I've tried melatonin for sleeping and for relaxation and i love the product i usually take about 3-4mg before bed and it works wonders, but i was wondering if any1 has tried Suntheanine... b/c it is supposedly very close to melatonin with the same effects. Is it worth the $ or would you guys stay with melatonin.

-Thnx Matt
If melatonin works for you, you might want to stick to it. It is just that some user's may have a problem to find the particular dose that works for them. Anything from 150mcg to 10mg (or higher for therapeutic purposes). If the dose is not right, the right outcome will remain elusive. Besides, melatonin is a hormone and has a risk of overdosing.

L-Theanine, for me, though is a rather cool and versatile compound. Suntheanine is a brand, just like Forslean is a brand of Forskolin. Here is part of a post I contributed in a different thread:

Theanine constitutes about half the amino acids in tea (you get about 20-60mg per cup of tea!). Theanine gives tea its taste. L-Theanine supplementation can provide benefits such as reduced anxiety, improved cognitive abilities, neuroprotective support, improvement in mood, lowered blood pressure, reduced cholesterol levels, anti-carcinogenic and antioxidant effects, enhancement of the immune system, and weight loss.

L-Theanine's most important benefits, though, are in the area of the brain. After ingestion, L-Theanine is absorbed in the intestine and is then carried by an amino acid transporter beyond the blood-brain barrier. Structurally, L-theanine is similar to glutamic acid. This means that it competes with glutamic acid in terms of binding to glutamate receptors, thereby protecting against glutamate neurotoxicity. Furthermore, this competition with glutamic acid produces an increase in serotonin and dopamine levels in certain areas of the brain, leads to an increase in GABA, as well as an increase in the level of the so-called brain alpha wave activity (a state of being very relaxed while being awake. This is typically the state just before dropping off to sleep). The increase in alpha wave activity in the brain is measurable after about 30 minutes of L-Theanine supplementation, with the full effect setting in after about 40 minutes.
(Brain beta wave activity, on the other hand, is related to high stress periods).

Besides, L-Theanine also neutralizes the anxiety-promoting or stimulant effects of caffeine. This might help explain why green tea (which contains some caffeine but lots of theanine) also produces a relaxing and calming effect, in spite of the caffeine content.

Some students use L-Theanine while preparing for, and during, examinations. That way, they optimize their cognitive function and cut stress during the examination itself. Some professionals use it during interviews to remain calm, alert, and concentrated. As a sleep aid, it is also highly effective.

Theanine is non-toxic, even in large doses. To develop serious problems, you would need to consume 5g/kg. This translates to 500 grammes for a 100kg (210 lb) athlete!

Anyway, the recommended dose is 200 mg two to three times daily. It tastes mild and mixes well in water.

One of my favourite supplements :thumbsup:

Melatonin is also a multi-functional compound. It is very valuable for people who travel a lot and experience jet-lags; for individuals on night duty; and as a general sleep aid, especially for older folks (melatonin secretion by the pineal gland falls with age). Dosage, however, is not as clear cut as with L-Theanine. It can vary from 150mcg to about 10mg for different people.

verner

verner

Team Nutra Ninja Monkey Trainer
Awards
  • Established
Well said, StrategicMove. I have used theanine many times with favorable results. Whe looking to buy, stick with products that do not use the Suntheanine name. Suntheanine is the copyrighted name, so you can pay up to 3x the amount of regular theanine, for the same thing.

solidwon

Awards
Theanine is effective in a very subtle manner. I have a rather stressful job at times and theanine seems to give me a thicker skin when it comes to dealing with as shole customers.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Theanine is effective in a very subtle manner. I have a rather stressful job at times and theanine seems to give me a thicker skin when it comes to dealing with as shole customers.
This is dead on. You have to diagnose your problem...is it stress not allowing you to fall asleep? Is it the inability to remain asleep? Is it getting sleep, but not feeling refreshed?

Theanine is a good stacker compound, IMO...allowing you to relax and let the day wind away. For me it is not ENOUGH to knock me out, but stacked with various compounds (ZMT, Melatonin, etc.) it definitely helps with my sleep quality.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
..I have used theanine many times with favorable results...
Yep! There are tonnes of positive feedback on this amazing compound :D

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
:p

Thnx every1 great feedback. I'll have to try it out.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established

-Thnx Matt
i take both together with great results. you don't have to pay for suntheanine - buy l-theanine.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i take both together with great results. you don't have to pay for suntheanine - buy l-theanine.
Correct, as long as you are sure of the quality :D

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Suntryptophan just doesn't have that same ring.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
If I am not mistaken, this is Suntheanine from NOW Foods.

http://www.taiyointernational.com/Suntheanine/Suntheanine_Index.asp

Suntheanine®

The Award-Winning, Patented Dietary Ingredient for Stress and Well-Being
It has been estimated that nearly 65 percent of the adult population experiences some form of stress, and these numbers are continually rising. Since ancient times, it has been said that drinking green tea induces relaxation. A pioneer in the science of green tea, Taiyo found this relaxation effect to be due to the presence of the amino acid L-theanine. Suntheanine is the trade name for Taiyo's patented, pure form L-theanine.

NP has l-theanine

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/theanine-90-caps.html

and if you search on suntheanine at np you'll get the above product for theanine.

hope this helps.

moose

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.taiyointernational.com/Suntheanine/Suntheanine_Index.asp

Suntheanine®

The Award-Winning, Patented Dietary Ingredient for Stress and Well-Being
It has been estimated that nearly 65 percent of the adult population experiences some form of stress, and these numbers are continually rising. Since ancient times, it has been said that drinking green tea induces relaxation. A pioneer in the science of green tea, Taiyo found this relaxation effect to be due to the presence of the amino acid L-theanine. Suntheanine is the trade name for Taiyo's patented, pure form L-theanine.

NP has l-theanine

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/theanine-90-caps.html

and if you search on suntheanine at np you'll get the above product for theanine.

hope this helps.

moose
I am familiar with Suntheanine and L-Theanine. As a matter of fact, I have always bought NOW Foods Theanine (Suntheanine). My question in Post #13 referred to your recommendation in Post #10: "you don't have to pay for suntheanine - buy l-theanine". It sounded as if NutraPlanet stocked plain, non-branded L-Theanine, and not the Suntheanine brand :D

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I am familiar with Suntheanine and L-Theanine. As a matter of fact, I have always bought NOW Foods Theanine (Suntheanine). My question in Post #13 referred to your recommendation in Post #10: "you don't have to pay for suntheanine - buy l-theanine". It sounded as if NutraPlanet stocked plain, non-branded L-Theanine, and not the Suntheanine brand :D
maybe desade can help or correct me on this as i am not in the supplement industry per se. but anyone product with l-theanine will contain suntheanine. the l-theanine has to be supplied to the company to market their product. suntheanine is not only a substance but a patented trademark on producing the l-theanine. hence, any l-theanine is suntheanine.

i believe - i do stand to be corrected.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
maybe desade can help or correct me on this as i am not in the supplement industry per se. but anyone product with l-theanine will contain suntheanine. the l-theanine has to be supplied to the company to market their product. suntheanine is not only a substance but a patented trademark on producing the l-theanine. hence, any l-theanine is suntheanine.

i believe - i do stand to be corrected.
L-Theanine is not necessarily Suntheanine®. Strictly, Suntheanine® is the name of an enzymatic technology patented by Taiyo Kagaku, I believe, a pioneer in Green Tea Extract. Suntheanine® refers both to the name of the technology as well as to the product (synthesized 100% pure L-Theanine). So, you can obtain L-Theanine that is not necessarily Suntheanine®.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
L-Theanine is not necessarily Suntheanine®. Strictly, Suntheanine® is the name of an enzymatic technology patented by Taiyo Kagaku, I believe, a pioneer in Green Tea Extract. Suntheanine® refers both to the name of the technology as well as to the product (synthesized 100% pure L-Theanine). So, you can obtain L-Theanine that is not necessarily Suntheanine®.

so if the label contents of the now product at np indicates suntheanine l-theanine you are getting synthesized 100% pure L-Theanine - hence the same product. correct?

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to bust in...I just picked some of the NOW brand up today from NP. Does this stack well with stims before studying/work? Recomend any good stacks?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so if the label contents of the now product at np indicates suntheanine l-theanine you are getting synthesized 100% pure L-Theanine - hence the same product. correct?
Yes, if the label says Suntheanine®, then you should expect synthesized 100% pure L-Theanine.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry to bust in...I just picked some of the NOW brand up today from NP. Does this stack well with stims before studying/work? Recomend any good stacks?
Hi whata! L-Theanine is deemed by many to have important nootropic properties, especially due to its structural similarity to glutamic acid (and binding to glutamate receptors), its boost of brain serotonin and dopamine levels leading to increased GABA levels and alpha wave activity, its neuroprotective and cognitive-enhancement properties, and so on. Instead of stacking it with caffeine-type stimulants, I would prefer to combine it with compounds like Rhodiola, Ashwaganda, and Fulvic acid, to name a few. These compounds have significant adaptogenic properties, enhance ATP levels, boost cognition and focus, as well as other health benefits.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I like Theanine a lot but the only difference I have noted between Suntheanine and regular bulk is that you might have to take a little more of the bulk to equal Suntheanine's effectiveness...but not like double or triple the amount.

Udder than that, I just wish the price would come down so I could buy it by the kilo.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like Theanine a lot but the only difference I have noted between Suntheanine and regular bulk is that you might have to take a little more of the bulk to equal Suntheanine's effectiveness...but not like double or triple the amount.

Udder than that, I just wish the price would come down so I could buy it by the kilo.
Yep! Part of the price is the unique extraction technology that guarantees 100% pure L-Theanine. Like you pointed out, it shows in the potency.

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
Hi whata! L-Theanine is deemed by many to have important nootropic properties, especially due to its structural similarity to glutamic acid (and binding to glutamate receptors), its boost of brain serotonin and dopamine levels leading to increased GABA levels and alpha wave activity, its neuroprotective and cognitive-enhancement properties, and so on. Instead of stacking it with caffeine-type stimulants, I would prefer to combine it with compounds like Rhodiola, Ashwaganda, and Fulvic acid, to name a few. These compounds have significant adaptogenic properties, enhance ATP levels, boost cognition and focus, as well as other health benefits.
Let's see...I have Reset, Relora, Melatonin, Bulk Rhodiola, Muira Puima, an old bottle of Dsade's GHV, a little Clear Edge, some Shred XS, and some Adrenaline. Looks like I have some experimenting to do. Muira, Reset, Theanine , Relora, Melatonin might make a nice pre-bed stack. Thanks for the response, Strat!

Edit: After some digging I also have some bulk GABA, Piracetam, and ZMA. ZMA doesn't exactly agree with my GI tract though. I can make some fun stacks!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Technically to sell Theanine, you cannot call it L-Theanine. The company has a patent on the process to yield pure L isomer. They also hold the patent on the only recognized test method, which is how they qualify the extracts, which is why if you sell something called L-Theanine, you are implying it has been verified by their patented process.

There theoretically is other pure L-Theanines on the market...but the best way to sell bulk is to simply sell "Theanine".

Cost is relatively low for bulk material...around 1/3 of the cost of the Suntheanine material.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let's see...I have Reset, Relora, Melatonin, Bulk Rhodiola, Muira Puima, an old bottle of Dsade's GHV, a little Clear Edge, some Shred XS, and some Adrenaline. Looks like I have some experimenting to do. Muira, Reset, Theanine , Relora, Melatonin might make a nice pre-bed stack. Thanks for the response, Strat!

Edit: After some digging I also have some bulk GABA, Piracetam, and ZMA. ZMA doesn't exactly agree with my GI tract though. I can make some fun stacks!
Just do it, Whata! :thumbsup:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26