Who makes a very high EPA/DHA per cap fish oil these days?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Who makes a very high EPA/DHA per cap fish oil these days?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I just use NOW brand. it's cheap.

Want more EPA/DHA? Just take more capsules.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
now Ultra Omega 3, has 500mg EPA per gel, it is not stocked at the board store though :(
They still have Super EPA, which is almost as good.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I usually use health from the sea flavored liquid, but since the bulk nutraplanet caps have come out I've been using those as the price is right.

NP usually has sans triple strength in stock, but its currently out.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Beverly at Nutraplanet a month for 15.99

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Hell just go with Nutra's bulk caps. 1000 of them for like $23 bucks. (I might be off slightly on the price) You cant go wrong.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
I'll second the NOW Ultra Omega 3, 500mg EPA/250mg DHA per 1,000mg

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Biotest Flameout fishoil is 100% insane.

But go with liquid fishoil like the lemon-lime from Vitamin Shoppe, take like 10g a day, fishburps on it actually taste good.

Medic

Medic

Awards
But go with liquid fishoil like the lemon-lime from Vitamin Shoppe, take like 10g a day, fishburps on it actually taste good.
link to product? cant find it

for the record, I enjoy NOW fish oil liquid - lemon flavor - the most ... 1 TBSP AM with my shake

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think flame out is the only one with a higher (much higher at that) ratio of DHA vs EPA.
Yeah, I think the high EPA/DHA ratio on Flameout is the reason a lot of fish oil megadosers use it. Maybe EPA is more beneficial at very high amounts than DHA or something like that.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think the high EPA/DHA ratio on Flameout is the reason a lot of fish oil megadosers use it. Maybe EPA is more beneficial at very high amounts than DHA or something like that.
Flameout has more DHA than EPA. Much more.
And a tiny amount of CLA for some reason...

And the total fish EPA is not really enough...

Really the product is not all that impressive unless you really need high dose DHA... And that person is not me, as I want EPA.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Purchase a bottle of Fish Oil in liquid form. You'll pay approximately $15-$20 for a 500ml bottle. If you want to achieve the full benefits of Fish Oil then dose it at 40ml. That's the equivalent of 40 capsules. This is the most effective dosage for fat loss and reducing inflammation. One bottle will last 3 weeks.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
Purchase a bottle of Fish Oil in liquid form. You'll pay approximately $15-$20 for a 500ml bottle. If you want to achieve the full benefits of Fish Oil then dose it at 40ml. That's the equivalent of 40 capsules. This is the most effective dosage for fat loss and reducing inflammation. One bottle will last 3 weeks.
This is only recommended for short term dosing ( for example, you are following polquin's recommendations ).

Medic

Medic

Awards
I just picked up a bottle of liquid fish oil today that is 825mg EPA per TEASPOON :p

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
Carlson Cod Liver oil or Nordic Naturals is probably the best way to go in fish oil type products. NOW is right behind them probably

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is only recommended for short term dosing ( for example, you are following polquin's recommendations ).
I've been dosing it this way for a few months now. I'll probably grow gills soon :)

Medic

Medic

Awards
:dl:
Carlson Cod Liver oil or Nordic Naturals is probably the best way to go in fish oil type products. NOW is right behind them probably
I cant say they are the best because I havent tried either; however, I just bought a 16oz Nordic Naturals bottle of fish oil yesterday in lemon flavor. A big bottle is important to me, I cant find NOW fish oil in stores.... and I use these bad boys up quick since I take a tablespoon a day

It has:
  • EPA 825 Mg
  • DHA 550 Mg
^^PER TEASPOON^^. Which is a high dose. 1 TABLESPOON with breakfast will take care of all your EFA needs

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
:dl:

I cant say they are the best because I havent tried either; however, I just bought a 16oz Nordic Naturals bottle of fish oil yesterday in lemon flavor. A big bottle is important to me, I cant find NOW fish oil in stores.... and I use these bad boys up quick since I take a tablespoon a day

It has:
  • EPA 825 Mg
  • DHA 550 Mg
^^PER TEASPOON^^. Which is a high dose. 1 TABLESPOON with breakfast will take care of all your EFA needs

Well the reasoning I say is because I work at a Vitamin Shoppe and customers upon customers tell me these two specific brands have had more of an impact on their health then any other.

Medic

Medic

Awards
Well the reasoning I say is because I work at a Vitamin Shoppe and customers upon customers tell me these two specific brands have had more of an impact on their health then any other.
good news, I'm about to get a job at the vitamin shoppe....i'm writing you a pm.

Look foward to trying out the product.

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
Health from the Sea - liquid, orange flavored :thumbsup:

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
I have been hassling NP to stock it for ages...

I have to buy it from another unnamed store. :(
Sadly enough, I have to do this as well.

You can't beat the NOW Ultra Omega 3 when it has 500mg EPA/250mg DHA per 1,000mg for about $20-22.

Tiny Man

Awards
I'll see about our fish oil being out of stock. For a capsule product it is a very high concentration (the highest I've seen I think, per cap)- but for megadosers the liquid is the way to go (IMO, at least). Fish Fats is an effective way to get EPA/DHA in convenient doses, but Poliquin method is better suited for liquid, where the cost/gram is significantly less.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I loaded up on SAN fish oil months back :)

I'll see about our fish oil being out of stock. For a capsule product it is a very high concentration (the highest I've seen I think, per cap)- but for megadosers the liquid is the way to go (IMO, at least). Fish Fats is an effective way to get EPA/DHA in convenient doses, but Poliquin method is better suited for liquid, where the cost/gram is significantly less.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I went to the sann site and checked it out, pretty awesome, I think the Now product is cheaper with a lot more servs and only a few mg less... But I have no idea about the quality of ether. Care to elaborate on what sets sann about from now ultra omega 3?

Medic

Medic

Awards
I went to the sann site and checked it out, pretty awesome, I think the Now product is cheaper with a lot more servs and only a few mg less... But I have no idea about the quality of ether. Care to elaborate on what sets sann about from now ultra omega 3?
Bro read a few posts up, much easier to just down a tablespoon of fish oil in the AM than pop 10 pills a day. It really doesn't taste that bad and liquids are usually very highly dosed.

Tiny Man

Awards
Sorry, I only just saw your post. Which of the NOW products are we talking about in particular? Right now I unfortunately don't have much time, but I will respond more as soon as some frees up..

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, I only just saw your post. Which of the NOW products are we talking about in particular? Right now I unfortunately don't have much time, but I will respond more as soon as some frees up..
Now Ultra Omega 3
similar numbers, but more servings.

Tiny Man

Awards
Now Ultra Omega 3
similar numbers, but more servings.
I had to pull the prices from another website, because I didn't see this from Nutraplanet. Correct me if I got the wrong products:

NOW Omega-3
100 servings (2 cap)
$6.95
EPA: 360mg
DHA: 240mg

Fish Fats:
60 servings (1 cap)
$16.99

To get the values, we have to calculate some:

From 1350mg, we have 43% EPA, 22% DHA, 10% SDA (16:4), and then some vit. E on the side (10IU).

That yields:
EPA: 580.5mg
DHA: 297mg
SDA: 135mg

SDA is a less commonly known FA, and worth pausing for a moment to consider. SDA means stearidonic acid, part of the omega-3 acids, is an EPA/DHA precursor. The interesting part of SDA is that it comes from a renewable source - from sources such as flaxseed, spirulina, and certain other plants. Because it can be grown, instead of harvested (like fish), the system will last a lot longer; while sadly, fish will not (depletion hasn't had the effects seen so much, but it will). This property alone makes SDA interesting. As for conversion, we see roughly a 1:.3:.07 EPA:SDA:ALA ratio 1.

EPA/DHA + .3*SDA = 580.5mg + 297mg + 135mg*.3 (conversion to EPA) = total

So basically, you have a higher concentration (about 580 + 300 + 45 or so), and 5x the vitamin E power - 10IU as compared to 2IU. I'm about to sleep, and didn't do the price per gram, but it's a straightforward calculation.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Now Ultra Omega 3
180 caps for 22 bucks.
Per Cap:
Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1.0g (1,000mg) †
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 750mg †
Eicosapentaenoic (EPA) 500mg †
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 250mg †

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now Ultra Omega 3
180 caps for 22 bucks.
Per Cap:
Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1.0g (1,000mg) †
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 750mg †
Eicosapentaenoic (EPA) 500mg †
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 250mg †
This is truly loaded with EPA/DHA. Amazing how they go all that in one softgel.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
NOW's fish oil isn't a very high quality fish oil, isn't molecullary distilled, and therefore probably contains amounts of mercury and other toxins fish injest.

I recommend Cooper Complete as the best price wise fish oil out there. Especially for cardiovascular benefits.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
NOW's fish oil isn't a very high quality fish oil, isn't molecullary distilled, and therefore probably contains amounts of mercury and other toxins fish injest.

Are you sure of this?

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure of this?
Yes, they don't process it to high standards like other companies. They do run batch tests in order to see if toxins are making it into the products, but never filter or distill it. I would rather take something that is the purest form of fish oil compared to something that is just tested to make sure it isn't bad.

That is another reason why their price is cheaper than a lot of companies out there.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, they don't process it to high standards like other companies. They do run batch tests in order to see if toxins are making it into the products, but never filter or distill it. I would rather take something that is the purest form of fish oil compared to something that is just tested to make sure it isn't bad.

That is another reason why their price is cheaper than a lot of companies out there.
You sound sure. This is a surprise, as I thought NOW Foods would have a much higher standard than you described. Although I like NOW Foods and get some supplements from them (at NP), I source my fish oil elsewhere. The source says it has the purest EPA-DHA fish oil in the world and has received the highest rating awarded by an independent organization called the International Fish Oil Society. In any case, I do not think one's fish oil must be the purest in the world. It just needs to meet strict conditions relating to stability (fish oil turns rancid quickly), purity, and consistency in EPA/DHA ratios.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
My bottle of NOW Ultra Omega-3 says "Molecularly distilled" on the label.

nelix

Awards
  • Established

I recommend Cooper Complete as the best price wise fish oil out there. Especially for cardiovascular benefits.

That's not what the label reads, IMHO NOW foods has a very good reputation, care to backup your claims with a source?
I can't imagine how they can fit that much EPA/DHA in one capsule without distilling...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
~~~~

Tiny Man

Awards
That's not what the label reads, IMHO NOW foods has a very good reputation, care to backup your claims with a source?
I can't imagine how they can fit that much EPA/DHA in one capsule without distilling...
I was looking. I think they distill some of their fish oils, but not all. I found products that advertised molecularly distilled, and some did not - and there was a price difference between the two (for the same caps/servings).

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I was looking. I think they distill some of their fish oils, but not all. I found products that advertised molecularly distilled, and some did not - and there was a price difference between the two (for the same caps/servings).
I was just going off of what I learned a year or 2 ago when I was first researching fish oils. If they do now distill their fish oils then I am mistaken, and my apologies.

Tiny Man

Awards
I was just going off of what I learned a year or 2 ago when I was first researching fish oils. If they do now distill their fish oils then I am mistaken, and my apologies.
From what I briefly looked at, it looks like you can buy them either way - it just costs a few dollars more for the distilled version (and is most arguably, worth it)?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Omega guard hish very high in epa and dha and is tripple distilled.