Creatine without sugar

A

adolescent686

Awards
I finished up a couple tubs of prolab's mono creatine. worked for me, but it's got a lot of sugar (31g per serving). Why do you even need sugar in creatine? what are some good creatine brands that DON'T contain sugar?

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
Sugar helps transport creatine but you need a ridiculous amount of sugar for that, so I think the whole glucose transport is bogus. The creatine mono I got from prolab doesn't contain any sugar and it's dirt cheap or hit up nutraplanet.com

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I might not be the most well versed in this area but I believe that monohydrate needs sugar to allow it to enter into the muscles or to "work."

more of a bump than a reply. Other forms of creatine supposedly do not require sugar like mono but I don't want to say too much more for fear of being wrong.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The sugar causes an insulin response which carries the creatine molecule into your muscle cells. Although absorption is possible with sugar, the sugar will increase the amount that is absorbed. There are different forms of creatine though that do not rely on a glucose transport. Creatine Ethyl Ester for example supposable has a higher rate of absorption due to a chemical bond with another molecule. Tricreatine Malate also is bonded, but it is bonded to a sodium molecule i believe which will increase its transportation. Personally I have tried all three types of creatine listed above and found a mixture of tricreatine and creatine ethyl ester to be very nice and effective pre workout with little or no carbohydrates. Keep in mind though that you will not gain as much weight off of these because you will not hold as much water.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
I take it without sugar and get great gains. I'm an endo so I got to watch my sugar fat cals, you know the drill..

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I take Mono with Dextrose and waxy maize after working out. throw in some BCAA's and thats tasty.