AAKG lowers testosterone?

1. Registered User
    Answers

AAKG lowers testosterone?

I have recently purchased a tub of AAKG powder. After the purchase, I have read that AAKG lowers the body's testosterone levels. Is an accurate statement? If it is, i will be returning the AAKG as soon as it arrives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  224 lbs.
    Answers

Ive never read or heard about that effect from AAKG...where did you see that and how reliable is your info source?
  3. Registered User
    Answers

i read it in a customer review on nutritionstand.com. I know thats not the most reliable of sources, but i just wanted to clear that up.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

With out a publsihed study I would be warry.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

This is news to me. I'll keep a watchful eye to the mags though.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Answers

bump
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

L-Arginine increases prolactin secretion from the pituitary. This can cause lowered testosterone levels.

I don't know about the alpha-ketoglutarate.

Prolactin Response to Arginine in Normal Subjects and in Patients with Hyperthyroidism

T. ONISHI, F. ITOH*, K. MIYAI, K. IZUMI*, K. SHIMA and Y. KUMAHARA
    * The Central Laboratory for Clinical Investigation, Osaka University Hospital, Dojima, Fukushima-ku, Osaka, Japan and Department of Internal Medicine, National Osaka Hospital Higashi-ku, Osaka, Japan

The effect of arginine on serum prolactin concentrations was studied in 18 normal subjects and in 7 patients with hyperthyroidism. In normal subjects, arginine infusion produced an increase of serum prolactin at least 6 ng/ml from the baseline, and the mean peak level (25.2 3.3 ng/ml, mean SE) was significantly higher than the basal level (8.6 5.2 ng/ml, P < 0.001). There was no significant difference in the peak levels between sexes. Unlike prolactin, concomitant serum thyrotropin levels did not change after the arginine infusion. In hyperthyroid patients, the increment of serum prolactin after arginine infusion at 30 min (3.9 1.5 ng/ml) was significantly lower than that of the normal controls which were matched by age and sex (17.1 4.4 ng/ml, P < 0.05). After treatment when these patients were euthyroid, the increment of prolactin after arginine infusion at 30 min was significantly increased (16.3 4.3 ng/ml, P < 0.05) and had reached the level of the control subjects. These data indicate that the prolactin response to arginine in hyperthyroidism is diminished.
    Celtic Labs Rep
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Stahl7639 View Post
    I have recently purchased a tub of AAKG powder. After the purchase, I have read that AAKG lowers the body's testosterone levels. Is an accurate statement? If it is, i will be returning the AAKG as soon as it arrives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a form of arginine specifically, two arginine molecules attached to an alpha-ketoglutarate molecule. Arginine is an amino acid and alpha-ketoglutarate is a form of another amino acid (a glutamine precursor), which may have a glutamine-sparing effect in muscle tissue, leading to more available glutamine. It’s believed that this formulation basically improves arginine’s absorption, thereby increasing your nitric-oxide (NO) production even more. As we know, arginine is a precursor of nitric oxide, which is responsible for vasodilation.

I never heard Arginine lows T but I read about Prolactin
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Melatonin lowers testosterone?
    By Delita420 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
  3. Does Massive Eating Lower Testosterone?
    By Quinc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
  4. Insect spray may lower testosterone levels in men
    By 200wannabe in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM