5-HTP vs. L-Tryptophan

bigskinny

I have been trying both of these for anxiety/insomnia, and I've noticed 5-HTP sometimes increases anxiety, and L-Tryptophan works much better for me. Don't they do the same thing? Anyone else?

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
I have been trying both of these for anxiety/insomnia, and I've noticed 5-HTP sometimes increases anxiety, and L-Tryptophan works much better for me. Don't they do the same thing? Anyone else?
Tryptophan is the precursor to 5-htp. Many times the majority of 5-htp will get converted to serotonin in the gut instead of the brain, which is what you don't want. From my personal experience, its best to take tryptophan for this reason alone.

hcso37

Awards
Just get a cheap bottle of 3mg Serotonin it will put you into a deep sleep faster than waiting for the tryptophan to convert into serotonin

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin at 1.5mg works good for me to keep me in a deep sleep. To get there i use GABA at 4g, great stuff, dont fear the slight flush, tingly, shortness of breath, only last 30sec-a minute or 2, yes i know i used alot of commas...hha
Neurobalance was good when i used it, failr pricey but no doubt worked, every other day as tolerance builds up.
Phenibut is popular but give a hangover feeling the next day.
Theanine is supposed to help relax you not to a large degree but may help with your daytime anxiety.
I actually have a bit of anxiety and can not slow my brain down sometimes, especially on test days and talking/meeting new people and constantly wondering what people are thinking of me, just general anxiety.
I use FocusXT before work sometimes as it helps keep my mind right but not really slow me down, as its not supposed too.
Somnidren is getting many good reviews for sleep aid thus far, by Millenium Sports(sp?)
Theres tons of combos and ideas people will throw at you but remember
___---****You are messing with brain chemicals and neurotransmiters so remeber that if you take soemthing even though it may work at the moment the sides later may be harmful*****

I used Melatonin and 5HTP for about a month on and off maybe 3-4 days a week at night and sometimes i took 5HTP in the afternoon...I def had some increae in depression and lack of feeling/slugish/no drive when i came "off" those things. I wont touch 5HTP again, its useless IMO. Melatonin is ok i have tons for cheap as heck so i use it 1-2 weeks then off 2+ weeks.
Sorry bout the length im bored and was just searching like a madman for all kinds of stuff in the future for me.
Peace.