Protein shakes

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
So I got what looks like a protein shake mix, a bazillion grams of protein in each daily prep. :) . With the huge list of high -quantity amino acids, L this, L that, I guess I probably dont need to supplement tabs of those with it? My question is:

My ultimate goal is to lose BF, but increasing lean tissue is something that is going to help that, so how would someone like me who is still trying to control calories (1600-1800 day at the moment) include this stuff in a program?

Well I looked at the instructions and its for 4 scoops to make 32 fl oz. Looked at the calorie content, and thought about it. One scoop and 8 oz of water makes about a 300 cal supplement which is convenient. However I wouldn't want more than one of those in my day just now, would I?

Would workout days make a difference?

How would I know when to eventually increase it to 2 a day?

I tried one today with lunch and I felt so full like someone hit me in the front! I bet it would be better when the late afternoon hungries get me.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So I got what looks like a protein shake mix, a bazillion grams of protein in each daily prep. :) . With the huge list of high -quantity amino acids, L this, L that, I guess I probably dont need to supplement tabs of those with it? My question is:

My ultimate goal is to lose BF, but increasing lean tissue is something that is going to help that, so how would someone like me who is still trying to control calories (1600-1800 day at the moment) include this stuff in a program?

Well I looked at the instructions and its for 4 scoops to make 32 fl oz. Looked at the calorie content, and thought about it. One scoop and 8 oz of water makes about a 300 cal supplement which is convenient. However I wouldn't want more than one of those in my day just now, would I?

Would workout days make a difference?

How would I know when to eventually increase it to 2 a day?

I tried one today with lunch and I felt so full like someone hit me in the front! I bet it would be better when the late afternoon hungries get me.
My girlfriend drinks Muscle Milk Light. She only drinks one a day as a snack. When you are on such a strict diet it is not a good idea to drink more than one a day. You need to eat high protein meals, just lower your carbs, moderate calories, and workout like crazy. Just not to the point that you feel overtired or over trained. Caffeine is a good thing too when used moderately.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Are you doing mostly cardio? Are you incorporating circuit training into your program at all?

Would you be comfortable telling us your stats? Weight and height and age?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
what you have sounds like a weight gainer.4 scoops = 1200 cals.
hold this till you run a bulk and go out and get some regular protein. even on a cut you need protein to save the muscle while losing the fat.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what you have sounds like a weight gainer.4 scoops = 1200 cals.
hold this till you run a bulk and go out and get some regular protein. even on a cut you need protein to save the muscle while losing the fat.
The idea of girls bulking scares me lol.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Last edited:
Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
lol. I was telling my workmates last spring about my routines at the Y, being sore, etc, and they said "what you trying to do, beat them up?" haha.

let me get my 2 threads posted here. BRB to edit.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/81570-bassgirls-program.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/81484-expected-calorie-intakes-2.html#post1140360

Well, I would recommend getting a shake that is a little lighter on the cals. Taking it when you wake up in the morning, and then after you workout. Make sure you are eating meals that have decent amounts of protein. For a female I would say 1 gram per lb of bodyweight. Consuming protein immediately upon waking will help hold on to muscle while losing fat though. Among a lot of other things. Hope this is helping you.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Well, I would recommend getting a shake that is a little lighter on the cals. Taking it when you wake up in the morning, and then after you workout. Make sure you are eating meals that have decent amounts of protein. For a female I would say 1 gram per lb of bodyweight. Consuming protein immediately upon waking will help hold on to muscle while losing fat though. Among a lot of other things. Hope this is helping you.
This is sound advice. Especially on a cut, it is important to get whole foods because they make you feel full longer. The shakes are less important except that they usually have a high protein to calorie ratio. First thing in the morning and post workout are the best times. And a regular protein powder should have around 24-26 grams of protein and no more than 150 cals per scoop. Anything more than that is a weight gainer or just a crappy protein formula.

You could also look at a BCAA mix. I've heard a lot of guys say they replace their whey protein with BCAAs on a cut because that does away with a bunch of cals but the BCAAs help maintain the muscle they have through a major calorie deficit. That could help too.