Muira puama -- how does it work?

bigskinny

Does anyone know how muira puama increases libido... dopamine or testosterone increase?

chim_chim

Awards
My subjective impression is dopamine. It works so quickly that it seems unlikely that it is an acute testosterone increase. I can feel it in 30-60 minutes.

If it is working through dopamine, it is a mild and mostly side-effect free dopaminergic. It doesn't cause anxiety, or feeling spaced-out, or nasal congestion.

It works great with cabergoline, if you can track some down.

I use Nutraplanet's 12:1 extract, and it is my favorite OTC libido booster. I know that some people say that you have to use muira puama days to feel an effect, but my experience is that it is very quick.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My subjective impression is dopamine. It works so quickly that it seems unlikely that it is an acute testosterone increase. I can feel it in 30-60 minutes.

If it is working through dopamine, it is a mild and mostly side-effect free dopaminergic. It doesn't cause anxiety, or feeling spaced-out, or nasal congestion.

It works great with cabergoline, if you can track some down.

I use Nutraplanet's 12:1 extract, and it is my favorite OTC libido booster. I know that some people say that you have to use muira puama days to feel an effect, but my experience is that it is very quick.
I tend to agree.

I definitely feel it within 45 minutes.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i didnt notice any increase taking powerfull?

i dunno..

chim_chim

Awards
I should add, there are other mechanisms for libido besides dopamine and testosterone. I remember GHB, back when it was legal, as having crazy effects on the libido. You could literally have sex for hours. Anyway, GHB was noted for suppressing dopamine, and then causing a dopamine surge about 3 hours later, so this effect was not at all from increased dopamine. GHB also stimulated prolactin release, which would be counter to what you expect for a prosexual effect.

The science on libido is still not very advanced, I think.

I'm pretty familiar with different dopaminergic drugs/supplements, and muira puama is doing _something_ along those lines, but it is not strictly analogous to any of them. I mentioned cabergoline before. My favorite side-effect free dopaminergic is Sinemet, which is straight L-Dopa with a decarboxylase inhibitor. You can find this pretty readily at overseas pharmacies, and Powerfull (and the bulk 1-Carboxy at Nutraplanet) is supposed to be an herbal version of this.

Maca makes a great addition to muira puama, by the way.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I tend to agree.

I definitely feel it within 45 minutes.
dsade...i have nutra's bulk MP. If i cap this (with 00) how many caps a day do you suggest and at what time? (i workout at 4:00)

thanks in advance

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Everything you need to know!

Does anyone know how muira puama increases libido... dopamine or testosterone increase?
Muira Puama by Ray Sahelian, M.D. (2007). http://www.raysahelian.com/muirapuama.html.

(one of my fav resources...)

Muira Puama root and bark : What the Research Says...

In 1990, at the Institute of Sexology in Paris, France, a clinical study with 262 patients complaining of lack of sexual desire demonstrated muira puama extract to be effective. Within two weeks, at a daily dose of 1 to 1.5 grams of muira puama 4:1 extract, 62% of patients with loss of libido claimed that the treatment was helpful. I found this study mentioned all over the internet, but could not find an official Medline mention.

In 2000, researchers at the Institute of Sexology published another study. The effectiveness of a herbal formulation of muira puama and Ginkgo biloba was assessed in 202 healthy women complaining of low sex drive. Various aspects of their sex life were rated before and after 1 month of treatment. Statistically significant improvements occurred in frequency of sexual desires, sexual intercourse, and sexual fantasies, as well as in satisfaction with sex life, intensity of sexual desires, excitement of fantasies, ability to reach orgasm, and intensity of orgasm. Reported tolerability of the muira puama and ginkgo combination was good.

Recently, muira puama has been gaining in popularity in the US where herbalists are using it for sex, menstrual cramps and PMS, and central nervous system disorders. Muira puama has been traditionally known as a nerve tonic. Amazonian natives use traditional remedies prepared with muira puama roots for treating various central nervous system conditions, including those associated with aging.

Muira Pauma: Mechamism of Action:

The root and bark of muira puama are rich in free long-chain fatty acids, essential oils, plant sterols, coumarin, lupeol, and a new alkaloid named "muirapuamine." Because of its various constituents, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact chemicals in muira puama responsible for its sex boosting effects. One study in rabbits indicates that muira puama has the ability to relax the corpus cavernosa of the penis, thus allowing for engorgement. Another study indicates that muira puama may block an enzyme known as acetylcholinesterase. By blocking the activity of this enzyme, more acetylcholine is available in the central nervous system, which may be helpful in Alzheimer's disease. Acetylcholine is involved in memory, and it also helps dilate blood vessels in the genital region.

Additional benefits of Muira Puama:

In my clinical experience, I find that muira puama increases energy and also has mild mood-enhancing properties. However little research is available to confirm these findings. I base my findings on my personal experience taking it myself, and also feedback from patients I have recommended to take muira puama. New research shows muira puama has antioxidant properties, too, protecting the brain from damage.

Availability of Muira Puama:

Muira puama is available in various dosages and extracts. It's difficult to give exact dosage recommendations since each herbal supplier or vitamin company may have a different way of presenting the final product. Also, muira puama is available in various potencies, including a 4 to 1 extract. Thus, it becomes complicated when recommending exact dosages.

Muira Puama Side Effects:

One of the most common side effects of muira puama when used in high doses is insomnia. This is because of the alertness muira puama produces, and, logically, if you are too alert when you go to bed, you are likely to toss and turn in bed. Limit your daily intake of muira puama to one capsule and take a day off every 2 or 3 days.

Muira Puama Research Update:

Clinical toxicology study of an herbal medicinal extract of Paullinia cupana, Trichilia catigua, Ptychopetalum olacoides ( muira puama )and Zingiber officinale ( Catuama ) in healthy volunteers.
Phytother Res. 2005 Jan;19(1):54-7.
In Brazil, a herbal medicinal extract named Catuama containing a mixture of Paullinia cupana (guarana; Sapindaceae), Trichilia catigua (catuaba; Meliaceae), Ptychopetalum olacoides (muirapuama; Olacaceae) and Zingiber officinale (ginger; Zingiberaceae) is used as a body stimulant, energetic, tonic and aphrodisiac. The present study investigated the chronic administration of 25 mL Catuama twice a day during 28 days for any toxic effect on healthy human volunteers of both sexes. No severe adverse reactions or haematological and biochemical changes were reported.

Memory retrieval improvement by Ptychopetalum olacoides - muira puama - in young and aging mice.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2004 Dec;95(2-3):199-203.
Amazonian peoples use traditional remedies prepared with muira puama roots for treating various age-related conditions. This study shows that a single intraperitoneally (i.p.) administration of muira puama ethanol extract improved memory retrieval in step-down inhibitory avoidance,, without interfering with acquisition or consolidation in adult (2.5-month-old) mice. Consistently with its traditional use, the data suggest that muira puama facilitates memory retrieval. Although the antioxidant and acetylcholinesterase inhibitory properties previously described for this extract may be of relevance, the molecular mechanism(s) underlying the improvement in memory retrieval here reported merit further scrutiny.

Neuroprotective effects of Ptychopetalum olacoides Bentham (Muira puama) on oxygen and glucose deprivation induced damage in rat hippocampal slices.
BLife Sci. 2004 Aug 27;75(15):1897-906.
Alcoholic infusions of Ptychopetalum olacoides Bentham ( muira puama ) are used in traditional medicine by patients presenting age associated symptoms and those recovering from stroke. The aim of this study is to evaluate the neuroprotective properties of muira puama ethanol extract using hippocampal slices from Wistar rats exposed to oxygen and glucose deprivation (OGD, followed by reoxygenation). The OGD ischemic condition significantly impaired cellular viability, and increased free radicals generation. In non-OGD slices, incubation with Muira puama increased (approximately 40%) mitochondrial activity, without affecting free radicals levels. In comparison to OGD controls, slices incubated with Muira puama during and after OGD exposure had significantly increased cellular viability. In addition, at this same concentration, Muira puama prevented the increase of free radicals content induced by OGD. In view of the fact that respiratory chain inhibition and increased generation of free radicals are major consequences of the ischemic injury, this study suggests that muira puama contains useful neuroprotective compounds and, therefore, deserves further scrutiny.

Ptychopetalum olacoides ( muira puama ), a traditional Amazonian "nerve tonic", possesses anticholinesterase activity.
Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):645-50.
Amazonian communities use traditional remedies prepared with muira puama roots for treating various central nervous system conditions, including those associated with aging. The fact that muira puama ethanol extract has been found to facilitate memory retrieval in the step down procedure in young and aged mice prompt us to evaluate its effects on anticholinesterase activity in memory relevant brain areas. Muira puama significantly inhibited anticholinesterase activity in vitro in a dose- and time-dependent manner in rat frontal cortex, hippocampus and striatum; a significant inhibition was also found in these same brain areas of aged (14 months) mice after acute administration of muira puama. We propose that such anticholinesterase inhibitory activity is a neurochemical correlate of a number of therapeutic properties traditionally claimed for muira puama, particularly those associated with cognition.

Anxiogenic properties of Ptychopetalum olacoides Benth.
Phytother Res. 2002 May;16(3):223-6.
Alcohol infusions of roots of Ptychopetalum olacoides Benth, known as Marapuama or Muira puama, are used in the Brazilian Amazon as a 'nerve tonic'. Over the years muira puama has been found increasingly in phytoformulations and regarded as a stimulant, claimed to enhance physical and mental performances. This study determined that a muira puama ethanol extract decreased exploratory behavior in the hole-board test, without interfering with locomotion or motor coordination. The data are comparable to that obtained with pentylenetetrazol, suggesting an anxiogenic effect of muira puama.

The relaxation of isolated rabbit corpus cavernosum by the herbal medicine Catuama (ginger, muira puama, and others) and its constituents.
Phytother Res. 2001 Aug;15(5):416-21.muira puama research, muira puama nitric oxide, muira puama erectile.
The effects of the Brazilian herbal medicine Catuama and each of its plant constituents (Paullinia cupana, Trichilia catigua, Zingiber officinalis and Ptychopetalum olacoides- muira puama) were investigated on rabbit corpus cavernosum (RbCC) using a bioassay cascade. Catuama caused short-lived and dose-dependent relaxations. Neither the nitric oxide synthesis inhibitor N(omega)-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester nor the soluble guanylate cyclase inhibitor ODQ significantly affected the Catuama-induced relaxations. Similarly, the selective ATP-dependent K(+) channel (K(ATP)) blocker glibenclamide, the muscarinic receptor antagonist atropine and the voltage-dependent Na(+) channel blocker tetrodotoxin all failed to affect significantly the Catuama-induced relaxations. These results indicate that the relaxations induced by Catuama- muira puama involve neither nitric oxide release nor K(ATP) channel activation. The extracts of P. cupana, Z. officinalis and muira puama caused short-lived and dose-dependent RbCC relaxations, whereas T. catigua evoked long-lasting relaxations which were occasionally preceded by a brief contractile effect. The extract of P. cupana was the most active in relaxing RbCC strips. The infusion of ODQ had no significant effect on the P. cupana- and Z. officinalis-induced relaxations but reduced by >50% those evoked by muira puama and T. catigua. Incubations of RbCC with Catuama caused increases of cAMP levels. Incubations of RbCC with P. cupana extract increased the cAMP levels by 200% whereas higher doses caused smaller increases in the nucleotide levels. The extracts of Z. officinalis and muira puama caused smaller increases of the cAMP levels compared with the P. cupana extract, whereas T. catigua did not increase the levels of this nucleotide above the basal values. Our results show that of the four extracts assayed, P. cupana was the most effective, indicating that it is the main extract responsible for the relaxing effect of Catuama on rabbit cavernosal tissue.

Muira Puama by Ray Sahelian, M.D. (2007). http://www.raysahelian.com/muirapuama.html.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dsade...i have nutra's bulk MP. If i cap this (with 00) how many caps a day do you suggest and at what time? (i workout at 4:00)

thanks in advance
I think a 00 will give you around 450mg tamped. Timing and dosage depends on your goals.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I think a 00 will give you around 450mg tamped. Timing and dosage depends on your goals.
Goals:
*Lose a little bodyfat*
*maintain/gain LBM
(probably sounds familiar)

Im currently using the following:

*BA
*MAN CLOUT
*XTEND
*LEUCINE (PWO)
*CISSUS
*ELASTAMINE

thanks again

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
I am guessing by wanting to cap MP it must taste like sh!t. How much (teaspoon example) is a serving.

I take 2g MACA per day and notice bigger loads but desire change. Also, the load size is also accompanied with it being thick like glue. When I shoot it looks like I havent drank any water in a week.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The MP really is not horrible tasting. It would go down fine mixed with tea.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought it had a weird pine-like taste the one time I tried to parachute it...I obviously did it wrong b/c the mp spilled in my mouth and I was choking on it, lol.

I prefer it capped. And FWIIW, I figured it was ~400mg - 450mg per 00 cap as well.

de49152

Awards
I just capped 400mg... will see what happens.

New question-- is MP safe and/or effective for WOMEN? My wife wants in.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just capped 400mg... will see what happens.

New question-- is MP safe and/or effective for WOMEN? My wife wants in.
a very enthusiastic YES.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everybody's different. I respond quite well to three to four grams a day.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What makes you say it doesn't work? Your links don't say that.

Yes they say their is no scientific proof.

Here is a portion of what one of the links says,

"Since no double-blind studies of muira puama have been reported at all, use of this herb has to be regarded as entirely speculative. (For more information on why double-blind studies are essential, see Why Does This Database Rely on Double-blind Studies? )"

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
That's not the same thing as saying it doesn't work. Not trying to argue. I'm just sayin'.

bigskinny

Y"Since no double-blind studies of muira puama have been reported at all, use of this herb has to be regarded as entirely speculative. (For more information on why double-blind studies are essential, see Why Does This Database Rely on Double-blind Studies? )"
Yeah, this just means it hasn't been proven, not that it doesn't work.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
If it does increase dopamine, does that mean it also releases GH? That would be another nice benefit :)

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
I`m sorry to post a question in such and old thread.

I`m sure most of the posters are already dead.

However,I have started using Muira Puama a few days ago and the results are great!

I was just wondering if the effect wares off later on?

Should I take this herb only once in a few days or can I take it every day for libido maintenance?

juliustroctus

juliustroctus

Awards
You should take it every day you need it., it is a gabaa antaganist.., which will increase gaba receptors as the body always tries to find balance..therefore is good in the long term but just as life -dont go to extremes-using it every single day

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You should take it every day you need it., it is a gabaa antaganist.., which will increase gaba receptors as the body always tries to find balance..therefore is good in the long term but just as life -dont go to extremes-using it every single day
Are you sure? I knew Mucuna pruriens acted on Gaba receptors. I did not realize Muira puama did the same?