Best protein/BCAA dosing protocol ?

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
Currently I take whey in the morning, with a full meal replacement style shake (oats, egg, blueberries).

Then I take 1 whey shake prior to working out.

1 serving BCAAs during workout, and 1 serving after.

What does everyone think or what do you do?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My protocol is 20g BCAA+5g Leucine. I add 20 oz of water and drink half ~20 minutes before training. Once I get to the gym, I refill it t 20 oz and drink the rest throughout training.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
My protocol is 20g BCAA+5g Leucine. I add 20 oz of water and drink half ~20 minutes before training. Once I get to the gym, I refill it t 20 oz and drink the rest throughout training.
Do you take in protein powder at all?

2 scoops is about 10 grams, so 1 serving during and 1 after is similar to what you are doing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Do you take in protein powder at all?

2 scoops is about 20 grams, so 1 serving during and 1 after is similar to what you are doing.
You are consuming ~14g of BCAA, while I am using 25g (in addition to SuperCarb and BA). I only use protein after I lift and it is an egg/casein blend. I eschew whey these days for slower digesting proteins.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sold on the post workout simple sugar thing, maybe I should give it a try though. I'll look into supercarb on my next order.

I usually consume my whey WITH other protein (milk, egg, soymilk, whatever) unless its right at workout, so I don't really think its much of a concern one way or the other as far as fast absorption.

You are right about 14g, I had a mind typo. I also get the 5g in the whey shake prior to workout though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not sold on the post workout simple sugar thing, maybe I should give it a try though. I'll look into supercarb on my next order.

I usually consume my whey WITH other protein (milk, egg, soymilk, whatever) unless its right at workout, so I don't really think its much of a concern one way or the other as far as fast absorption.

You are right about 14g, I had a mind typo. I also get the 5g in the whey shake prior to workout though.
Peptide-bound and free-form AA have much different physiological effects (e.g. arginine). I don't use high GI carbs post-WO, but I like to use simple carbs. SuperCarb is a very low GI simple carb and adds a little extra sweetness to my diluted pre-WO drink.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Buy some "Fruit Chillers" from the local supermarket for the carbs.

Watch out for soy products? Aren't they suspected of raising Estrogen levels?