How much protein do you eat @ each meal ?

How much protein do you eat at each meal ?

• Total voters

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I've heard the claim that you are not supposed to eat more than 30g of protein per meal. This number varies but is around that, but is within the ballpark. I've heard the theories about keeping the dosing small for maximum absorption, etc, etc.............

I eat upwards of 50-70g at times for each meal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the 30 number is based on egg protein plasma levels. if you eat anything over 25g of eggs in one seating, protein plasma levels don't go any higher, and its all gone in a little over an hour. but thats just eggs, and taken solo. using beef instead, and with fiber, carbs + fat, the digestion takes longer so its released into blood slower too

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I think my protien consumption varies sometimes. Sometimes Ill go as high as 60 grams and sometimes as low as 30. I try to aim for 40g per meal however. 5 meal x 40g = 200 grams. Thats the average. Ill go higher most of the time.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I really don't ever eat anything lower than 50g. The reason for this is b/c I don't always have access to eat protein all the time, so I just eat larger portions to compensate potentially longer time intervals between meals.

I usually eat about every 4-4.5 hrs @ 50g+ of protein, instead of ever 2-3 hrs.

The egg thing is interesting Easy. When I was using Egg protein awhile ago I'd have 60g shakes of egg protein.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats the downside of eggs solo, and the plus side of blends. you can get a variety of proteins in a blend so some are faster than others. The problem with the study of course is that it was eggs solo (I believe sunny side up or hard boiled, cant recall) with no other food. a shake should be pretty close to that tho, if you have nothing else with it. I should try and find that study, but i'm lazy

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
This is also too why I use digestive enzymes at every meal is b/c of my high protein meals.

Being lactose intolerant sucks c0ck.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
if i had more than ~30 grams of egg protein i would be leaving a pretty rank cloud behind me.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
The way I figured it out for me, is to find the total number of calories per day I should be getting then figuring out what kind of macro split I want to be on...say 40/40/20. Then divide by the MINIMUM number of meals I will get per day...say 6 (maybe up to 8). Then whatever that number is, I aim for a MINIMUM (just in case I end up having fewer than six meals per day) of that amount of protein per meal.

For me that's around 45 or so.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
50g protein every 2-3 hours. My macros are 65% fat/30%pro/5%carbs during the week. I usually eat very little protein on the weekends, maybe like 10-15% of my daily cal intake.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I try to get 40g per meal. You figure a steak or a decent size chicken breast is 40g at least. How much protein in a krystal?

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
40g fts, as far as I've been informed thats the most an average 200ib BBer can digest at a time without anabolic steroids or some sort of other effective up regulator of protein synthesis.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Well I was watching that movie markus ruhl made 'Big and loving it' or something like that.. He says he tries to eat 50grams at every meal.. I think like 7 or 8 meals a day. SOmetimes he takes 100 if he skips a meal..

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
milligrams ? Is that a typo ?
I hope so. :lol:

BTW, why is the title of this thread green on my UserCP? There's only one other thread like that and I figured Bobo did it for that one.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is that new or has it always been that way for non-gold members?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being lactose intolerant sucks c0ck.
I hear ya. I'm not totaly but anything over 1% and I bind up and its a terrible stomach ache for hours and even days. Even if its 1% or under I really have to watch how much I take it.

I have a huge range no less than 25gr, but no more than 60gr. Even with a digestive enzyme anything over 60 is hard on the old gut.....and enviorment :fart:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
ideally, if I could eat whenever, whereever, I'd probably do 30g-35g every meal.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
60g for breakfast, 30g for snack, 30g lunch, 25g snack, 30g pre WO, 50g post WO, 40g dinner, 20g before bed.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Depends - anywhere from 8-55g hehe but I eat 6 times a day, with three higher protein meals and three smaller snacks which are therefore also lower in protein

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
I have 4 meals per day at about 30 g, and snacks at about 10 g each, for a total of 6 meals per day.

jezzab05

jezzab05

Awards
i shoot for 25-30g with meals, and around 50g post w/o. I eat about 6-7 small meals through the day so plenty of space to get the protein in.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
i shoot for 25-30g with meals, and around 50g post w/o. I eat about 6-7 small meals through the day so plenty of space to get the protein in.
I try to keep it right at around 30-40 grams per meal usually 35 x 6 meals a day. That seems to work out best. I think the not being able to digest more than 40 grams or whatever a meal is bogus. I've heard it said that the more you weigh, and the more frequent you consume higher amounts of protein, the easier it is for your body to absorb and digest such amounts. Also the higher levels of stress put on your body during training also plays an important role in such as well. I've seen in the cost of redemption video that Ronnie takes in 80-90 grams of protein per sitting. That was from his morning protein shake. He was also eating 2 cups of liquid egg whites, whatever that amounts too.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Around 50 grams per meal works for me. A lot of people subscribe to the 30-35 grams per serving approach because they don't know any better. Those studies weren't done of physically active males who carry a good amount of muscle. I also don't recommend the Ronnie Coleman approach of ingesting 80+ because not everybody's stomach can handle that for 5-6 meals a day every day.

warvictim

warvictim

Banned
Awards
I eat 50 grams of protein in the morning, 60 at night and 9 oz. of chicken for lunch, i think thats about 50 grs. of protein

unsoberx

I think my protien consumption varies sometimes. Sometimes Ill go as high as 60 grams and sometimes as low as 30. I try to aim for 40g per meal however. 5 meal x 40g = 200 grams. Thats the average. Ill go higher most of the time.

pushinweightw

Awards
  • Established
I aim for 50g per feeding. When I hit up buffets or fast food joints its in the 100-125 range(this is not often but never really poses an issue as far as digestion goes).

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
i think that depends if its on an empty stomach or with a meal...

"at one time" doesnt really count with a large meal imo, cos you have song a long transition through the gi tract

i go for 40-50 per meal... depends on how many times i eat per day. my farts def let me know when ive eaten too much... i can get away with 60-70 sometimes with no problem.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i'll put 40 down however it can be lower or higher by ten depending on how i go about it.

to support your initial claim - i did read once, although i can't reference it, that the liver can only support 33-35 grams to digest at a time. so you may have heard correct.

ciao!

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I've heard the claim that you are not supposed to eat more than 30g of protein per meal. This number varies but is around that, but is within the ballpark. I've heard the theories about keeping the dosing small for maximum absorption, etc, etc.............

I eat upwards of 50-70g at times for each meal.
What exactly do you eat to get that much protein? ...especially since you cant have milk?

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
well i eat upwards towards 60-90 afterworkout because i heard the body can fully digest more protein after a workout and 40-50 for the rest of my meals, but i try to blast my body with food immediatly post workout within 5 minutes of finishing working out i take 100gr WMS and 60-90 100%amino whey from healthy n fit. then about 30 minutes after that ill scarf down either some steak or chicken breasts

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
reap - there's an article posted today at all the whey about protien and the kidneys. . .

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
could u point out the link

sorry - not at site but part of their newsletter distribution via email - here follows:

PROTEIN INTAKE SAFE

Help with daily protein equations

It's usually recommended that our daily intake of protein should be about .8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight per day. If that's not confusing, many experts have recommended as much as 1.5 – 2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day for athletes. While it's well recognized that athletes need more protein, imposing daily limits has been attached to fears of kidney toxicity. All this can leave protein lovers with lots of questions.

For those who are loading up on protein for muscle volume; improved hair, skin and nails; weight loss help, or just because they love and crave protein, new research offers encouraging guidance. Researches at the University of Cincinnati tested people in groups ranging from 25-40 years old and from 55-70 years of age. They compared kidney function for both age groups on a low protein diet - .5 grams per kilogram per day, against people of both age groups on a high protein diet – 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram per day. No changes in kidney function were found. Higher protein intake was associated with a slightly higher urine acidity, but all within normal range.

Whey protein is a smart choice for your health. Mixing whey protein with non-fat milk can help keep you PH balanced; drinking whey protein with water will help keep your kidneys well flushed and balanced. It's just that simple - no matter what your age.

What becomes complicated here is doing the conversion calculation. One kilogram = 2.2 lbs, so divide your body weight by 2.2, and you're already half way there. We don't know how athletic you are, but we've put grams per servings on our labels where it's easy to see.

The protein choice is easy even if the calculation is not!!

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
Ok - here is some good info i found at vinces ms.

30 grams of protein is probaly the maximum that you can absorb at one time, so don't waste it. You can always have more later. It is more important to keep you protein/nitrogen levels adequate througout the day, rather than in surges. Critics will claim that extra protein will just turn to fat. It's not that simple and it would contradict the thoroughly doccumented fat loss of the high-protein Atkins diet.
After digestion and breakdown of protein, the various free amino acids can be activated for muscle synthesis by their specific enzymes plus one of the energizing phosphate compounds - either ATP [adenosine triphosphate] or AMP [adenosine monophosphate].
If not needed for muscle synthesis, the process of deamination in the liver will remove nitrogen from the amino acid turning it into a keto-acid which makes it available for other body functions. These keto-acids can be either glycogenic [carbohydrate forming] or ketogenic [fat forming]. The majority of amino acids, if not used for muscle or other body protein synthesis, become glycogenic.
So, if your consume 40 grams of a "quick" protein like whey, and your body can only use 30 grams for muscle and other body protein synthesis at that particular time, some of the "extra" grams of protein can be turned into carbs by your body which will then convert to glucose. If you are on a high-protien / low-carb diet, you probably could use some glucose to refill the glycogen stores in your liver and muscles, which means that it probably would not spike your insulin or be stored as body fat.
A big complaint against high-protein diets [Atkins] is that you do not have enough glucose. The same critics claim that the small amount of possible protein derived glucose will make you fat. Which is it? An extra 10 grams of protein, that possibly will be converted through a complex process into glucose, cannot be compared to a bagel that has 51 grams of high-glycemic carbs that convert directly to glucose.

i don't know if a link is appropriate because they are a supp company so i'll defer for now.