Pain killers/Anti Inflams

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Basically it's come down to working through the pain and agony of a bad lower back. to the point where it can become crippling to walk. In the past i've used Motrin 800mg, Naproxin, Flexerall, Celebrex, Advil, aleve etc etc

Motrin works somewhat but it eats my stomach up

Naproxin really never worked well

Celebrex worked but it's too damn expensive to keep up under my medical plan.

Anyone know of anything I can talk to my doctor about that won't eat my stomach lining and possibly has a generic version to keep the cost down? I'm tired of trying new crap all the time with little to no success.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Tramadol

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
bro i know is hard but is better to stop training and do some physical therapy , long use NSAID`S ruin your system

nelix

Awards
  • Established
bro i know is hard but is better to stop training and do some physical therapy , long use NSAID`S ruin your system
I agree with that, also killing the pain makes it harder for you to avoid further damaging the injury.

That said, sometimes pain can be so crippling that avoiding it will cause atrophy and a person to never recover.

I like tramadol... Lidocain patch's are good.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That said, sometimes pain can be so crippling that avoiding it will cause atrophy and a person to never recover.
That's the problem i'm facing. I've done just about everything under the sun to make it better besides surgery and that ain't happening. I only use these things when I have to. Days off from the gym I don't use and days at the gym I work other body parts I don't use. If i'm having a rough day at work to where i'm out on my feet or in and out of the car a lot I will use something to help with the pain...You get my point.

the use isn't for daily pain.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Oh man, your between a rock and a hard place. Any NSAID will generally have the same effect on you as mortin. Cox-2 inhibitors have similar sides (stomach ulcers, bleeding disorders), and recent research has linked them to heart disease. Vioxx was pulled from the market, and eventually I predict that the others will too. Opiates work great, but the addiction potential and sides IMO aren't worth it. Tramadol is not a controlled substance, but it has dependency issues similar to that of codeine. I would suggest maybe some physical therapy where they can use vibration, electro-pulse, and stretching methods. Some guys I work out with swear by chiropractors. May also want to look into some natural medicine doctors that can also do adjustments similar to chiropractics. Anyway, good luck.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
If possible treat the cause rather than masking the effects. Maybe lilpsychs suggestions will better treat the cause.

supaman

Awards
Basically it's come down to working through the pain and agony of a bad lower back. to the point where it can become crippling to walk. In the past i've used Motrin 800mg, Naproxin, Flexerall, Celebrex, Advil, aleve etc etc

Anyone know of anything I can talk to my doctor about that won't eat my stomach lining and possibly has a generic version to keep the cost down? I'm tired of trying new crap all the time with little to no success.
SuperCissusRX! It also heals stomach ulcers....so there you go.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's the problem i'm facing. I've done just about everything under the sun to make it better besides surgery and that ain't happening. I only use these things when I have to. Days off from the gym I don't use and days at the gym I work other body parts I don't use. If i'm having a rough day at work to where i'm out on my feet or in and out of the car a lot I will use something to help with the pain...You get my point.

the use isn't for daily pain.
i dont know if this is even allowed for me to recomend any more (if so just edit) but have you thought about peptides or one of the tropins to help speed recovery and healing, maybe oratropin??? im sure you saw the many succesfull logs regarding its use in this manner....

i like the idea of high dose, high extract cissus as well, stuff is what saves my ligements and joints, and i have HORRIBLE joints.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This has been an issue since I was Airborne in the army stemming from a hard hit on the ground... I've been to many doctors and had countless xrays and MRI's done. The treatment is surgery (fusing my back) the pain in the back has led to an increased atrophy in the lumbar muscles and just continues to get worse.

The idea is to use anti inflams and pain killers long enough to build the muscle groups back up to aid in the recovery of the spine.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hitting the ground like a sack of potatoe's sucks! I know!

Bro - If surgery is the only way to fix this, you have a better chance at a fuller recovery if done so now. If you wait, more than just your back may be in trouble. You will punch yourself in the balls if you wait until you're in your 40-50's, when the human body cannot heal like it used too.

Regardless bro, let me know if i can help with anything PT related. And for the sake of your back, stop whacking off! LOL!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They'll be burying me before I will stop that!

As far as the surgery? I have met no person who has gone under the knife and came out better off than they went in. Everyone of them had said they should of just delt with it. We're talking numbers in the 20's that I personally know. I had simple out patient surgery last year to remove lipomas and they ****ed that up... bad. You think i want them ****ing with my spine?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My next stop is a chiropractor but that wont be until jan when my new health plan kicks in.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established

You should be on a PPI or H2blocker at all times while on an NSAID. The Naprosyn + Prilosec combo has worked wonders for me.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was on prilosec but came off because of my medical plan =40 dollars for a month on all scripts with no generic alt. That's why I changed my plan.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
I was on prilosec but came off because of my medical plan =40 dollars for a month on all scripts with no generic alt. That's why I changed my plan.
You can get get 42 tabs of Prilosec for $9.99 (OTC) and hit one of the bulk places and you can get a good size aleve for pretty cheap. Thing is, if you have pretty bad refulx or stomach issues, some recommend prilosec BID, can be costly.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
Hey Jay--
From an old guy who's had back issues in the past, I can give you some advice regarding your workouts, whether you take some time off from the gym or not. Now these things are semi-obvious and you may already be doing them, but if not...
#1. Never do another squat or deadlift in your life. I know that pisses you young guys off, but it's absolutely necessary if you ever acquire serious back probs. All I do for my lower half is Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Hammy Curls, and Calf Raises.
#2. When your back recovers a bit, add in some unweighted Roman Chairs (hyper-extensions). This will do wonders for the stabilizers in your lower back. But be careful -- never drop all the way down, with your head pointing straight at the floor (especially on the 45* chairs). Keep the muscles under constant tension, even if it means you can only do a handful of reps at first.
#3. If you don't already have a good ab program, find one. Along with the hyper-extensions, this will totally strengthen your trunk area and take some strain off your spine. And chicks dig abs.
#4. If you do cardio (everyone should), keep it low impact. Recumbant stationery bike is my fav. And it doesn't strain your lower back, like an upright bike can.

You can recover from these things without surgery -- I did. But it took me over a year, so be patient. Best of luck, bro.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Hey Jay--
From an old guy who's had back issues in the past, I can give you some advice regarding your workouts, whether you take some time off from the gym or not. Now these things are semi-obvious and you may already be doing them, but if not...
#1. Never do another squat or deadlift in your life. I know that pisses you young guys off, but it's absolutely necessary if you ever acquire serious back probs. All I do for my lower half is Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Hammy Curls, and Calf Raises.

You can recover from these things without surgery -- I did. But it took me over a year, so be patient. Best of luck, bro.
I totally agree with this. Surgery should be the VERy last resort and done only when absolutely necessary. SOmetime, we justneed to shut it down for a bit and not jump back too soon. It's hard but that is what I have seen work.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the help guys. Deerdeer, I was on the 40mg prilosec and they were about to bump it up. I am taking the OTC right now but at 20mg doses until Jan 5th.

This brings me to another point... Choosing health care. It is damn hard to make sure you're getting what it is that you'll need the most and at the best cost. My new plan will be 100 dollars less a month and provide better coverage. It pays to look around, ask questions and compare all aspects. I gave up half way decent eye coverage but the savings allow me to purchase eye and dental coverage now. Go figure.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hitting the ground like a sack of potatoe's sucks! I know!

Bro - If surgery is the only way to fix this, you have a better chance at a fuller recovery if done so now. If you wait, more than just your back may be in trouble. You will punch yourself in the balls if you wait until you're in your 40-50's, when the human body cannot heal like it used too.

Regardless bro, let me know if i can help with anything PT related. And for the sake of your back, stop whacking off! LOL!

You might as well take him out back shoot him.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I might have missed this, but how did the problem start/originate from the beginning ? You landed on your back from being airborne ?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was leapfrogging with another soldier on the drop and I lost air about 40-50 feet off the ground and hit like a sack of bricks. This was with a full combat load so when I hit it fractured my back.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help guys. Deerdeer, I was on the 40mg prilosec and they were about to bump it up. I am taking the OTC right now but at 20mg doses until Jan 5th.
QUOTE]

I hear alot of people are having trouble with United Health. heard good things about Blue Cross Blue Shield. However, anyone who is military affiliated, great care at VA systems, atleast in New England.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never made a VA claim but I have my medical history...I think im going to file. Oh, I changed my plan to blue cross.

PHATTBUZZ67

Awards
Wow bro sounds like u hae some serious issues with ur back I was 16 wen I had to have lower back surgery due to a herniated disc they removerd a little and was fine til about a month ago im 24 now and having a little pressure being put on the nerve again i work threw the pain no big deal u know gotta be mind or pain right anyways I just try to stay away from squats deadlifts and try to avoid excercises like military presses also the chiropractor is a god send get some ultra sound done and look into investing into a tens device gotta luv it hope this helps bro

Last edited:
AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
have you tried enzymes for pain and inflamation? like wobenzyme and serraflayzyme. these have helped me greatly and surpassed the results i have gotten from cissus in the past.

Blk98Bird

Awards
This has been an issue since I was Airborne in the army stemming from a hard hit on the ground... I've been to many doctors and had countless xrays and MRI's done. The treatment is surgery (fusing my back) the pain in the back has led to an increased atrophy in the lumbar muscles and just continues to get worse.

The idea is to use anti inflams and pain killers long enough to build the muscle groups back up to aid in the recovery of the spine.
My boss actually just had a spinal fusion done about a month ago and is currently recovering very well. He had some problems with the discs and they needed to be ground down and drained. Also, he let the problem go so long that there was nerve damage so his leg has been constantly numb for a good 15-20 years or so ago. The surgery did NOT fix this.

I know you don't want surgery now and that's understandable but I can tell you that he tried acupuncture, chiros, pain meds, physical therapy, etc. and it never truly fixed the problem. Have you been told that this is recoverable if you do manage to build up the muscles around the area?

You can bear it out for a while if you want but if you start feeling symptoms of numbness or minor loss of feeling even, then I would immediately get the surgery before the damage is irreversible like his.

Hope this isn't downer news, but I don't want to see you deal with some of the same stuff he's had to :(.

tattoopierced1

have you tried going to a good chiropractor as well as taking some meds? This may prove to be your best bet outside of surgery.