Medicine recall
Level: Consumer Class: I
Reference: RN-2007-0691 Date agreed: 22 October 2007
Product: VPX 'No Shotgun' & BSN 'Cell Mass' Body Building Powders
Batch number: All batches
Sponsor: Crestkey Pty Ltd
Phone: 02 6281 6999 Elite Physique
Reason: These products contain traces of the prescription drug coumarin

Letters are expected to be dispatched by the sponsor within two working days of the agreed date.

ADVICE TO CONSUMERS:

If you have a container of VPX: NO SHOTGUN or BSN: CELL MASS do not use it. Return it to the place of purchase for a refund
Recall notices are expected to appear in the Canberra Times on Monday 29 October 2007
Classification system:

Class I defects are potentially life-threatening or could cause a serious risk to health.

Class II defects could cause illness or mistreatment, but are not Class I.

Class III defects may not pose a significant hazard to health, but withdrawal may be initiated for other reasons.

Class I & II recalls are considered to be safety related recalls.

All credit goes to Cakedonkey for this find

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I wonder if this will expand to other Cinnamon type extract products...........

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure a lot of companies just mix crap in a dirty basement, then send it out to a packaging place.

If legal supps like this crap are tainted, I can't imagine what is in some of those 'prohormones' that you guys are using that were manuf. in China.

12STEP

Awards
  • Established
sweet i think i got two containers laying around somewhere. i could get my money back and get some more expired betagen

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If not the NO Explode, then could this be the fall of BSN? Lol this stuff is priceless!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Not so much BSN, but this concerns me that BSN with such a big name is pulling stuff like this, what other companies and what is 'really' in them makes me hesitant.

The NO-XPLODE was just neglected ingredients.

This prescription crap is a bit more serious.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't know what to believe anymore. People will say and believe anything nowadays, especially on the Internet.

I'm gonna research this Coumarin.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Check it out on wikipedia, it's a toxin that will effect the liver and kidneys and is a potent rat poison! WTF!?

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
[edit]

for all of you that want to know:
"Coumarin toxicity
Coumarin is often found in tobacco products and artificial vanilla substitutes, though it has been banned as a food additive in numerous countries since the mid-20th century because it is moderately toxic to the liver and kidneys, with an LD50 of 275 mg/kg - low compared to related compounds. Although only somewhat dangerous to humans, coumarin is a potent rodenticide: rats and other rodents largely metabolize it to 3,4-coumarin epoxide, a toxic compound that can cause internal hemorrhage and death. Humans largely metabolize it to 7-hydroxycoumarin, a compound of lower toxicity.

Coumarin was banned as a food additive in the United States in 1978. OSHA considers this compound to be only a lung-specific carcinogen, and "not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans" [1]. Coumarin was banned as an adulterant in cigarettes by tobacco companies in 1997, but due to the lack of reporting requirements to the US Department of Health and Human Services it was still being used as a flavoring additive in pipe tobacco.[citation needed] Coumarin is currently listed by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) among "Substances Generally Prohibited From Direct Addition or Use as Human Food", according to 21 CFR 189.130 [2][3], but some natural additives containing coumarin (such as sweet woodruff) are allowed "in alcoholic beverages only" (21 CFR 172.510 [4]). In Europe, such beverages are very popular, for example Maiwein (white wine with woodruff) and Żubrówka (vodka flavored with bison grass).

European health agencies have warned against consuming high amounts of cassia bark, one of the four species of cinnamon, because of its coumarin content.[1]

Coumarin should be avoided by people with perfume allergy[2]. Flexitral (Chantilly, VA) has developed an allergen replacement product called Coumane(TM), GRAS"

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I bet all retailers will sell this stuff piss cheap to get rid of it and there will be a big blow out sale which everyone will mad rush to buy it. (stuff currently out).

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Great now that I just finished some No-Xplode about week ago I get this info. Good Times.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am using a spply from a company that is not only GPM approved but has FDA manufacturing facilities. I feel safe with what I use.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always knew BSN was pure crap!. I guess people like the shiny stickers they put on their bottles though(especially the kids).

Thanos

Thanos

Awards
VPX 'No Shotgun' & BSN 'Cell Mass' Body Building Powders
Medicine recall
Level: Consumer Class: I
Reference: RN-2007-0691 Date agreed: 22 October 2007
Product: VPX 'No Shotgun' & BSN 'Cell Mass' Body Building Powders
Batch number: All batches
Sponsor: Crestkey Pty Ltd
Phone: 02 6281 6999 Elite Physique
Reason: These products contain traces of the prescription drug coumarin

Letters are expected to be dispatched by the sponsor within two working days of the agreed date.

ADVICE TO CONSUMERS:

If you have a container of VPX: NO SHOTGUN or BSN: CELL MASS do not use it. Return it to the place of purchase for a refund
Recall notices are expected to appear in the Canberra Times on Monday 29 October 2007
Classification system:

Class I defects are potentially life-threatening or could cause a serious risk to health.

Class II defects could cause illness or mistreatment, but are not Class I.

Class III defects may not pose a significant hazard to health, but withdrawal may be initiated for other reasons.

Class I & II recalls are considered to be safety related recalls.

All credit goes to Cakedonkey for this find
Well i guess there was at least something active in them

akjose

Awards
Does it make a difference that the site that info is from is an australian gov site. Maybe their supply is different from the US's...idk, just wondering.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do not like BSN but i found this take it for what it is worth all the **** with bad or bunk **** is FRUSTRATING i do not know either way but can this all be true or can it be competition working in the shadows through others(agencies) to sting the competition don't know:aargh:

Shotgun Press Release,

"VPX has called the TGA which is the Australian equivalent to our FDA on more than a dozen occasions and they have failed to provide us with any concrete information to indicate that Shotgun tested positive for coumarin. We have also demanded that the TGA provide us with the test results that indicate Shotgun tested positive for coumarin in writing in the correspondence posted below. Again, the TGA gave us the run around. Please read for yourself below.

We then called an Australian supplement distributor who informed us that the TGA retracted the recall, but again the Australian government would not comment on this as you can see in the correspondence below.

We have tested NO Shotgun in house qualitatively and quantitatively with HPLC and IR and have found NO traces of coumarin. We are also having San Rafeal test Shotgun to further verify via third party the absence of coumarin.

Has anyone asked themselves why the Australian Government would randomly test VPX Shotgun? Well, hopefully you guys are smart enough to figure this out on your own. Hint, Shotgun kicks ass and takes huge chunks business away from the competition.

Even if these tests were authentic, one Cinnamon Bun in the mall contains more coumarin that an entire container of Shotgun! Also, coumarin is Schedule IV which is far less than ephedra, steroids, and prohormones. Also, botanical coumarins are excellent to lower blood sugar, blood pressure and a induce a myriad of other health related benefits. Get familiar with Google but don't stop at the third reference!!! Also, the drug Coumadin is taken in amounts of 1 to 10 mgs by patients daily as a blood thinning agent -- Even if these tests were authentic you would have to consume 3000 bottles of Shotgun to equal one 10 mg dosage of Coumadin. These points are all mute because Shotgun does not contain coumarin!"

Rivethead

Rivethead

Awards
Well **** ive been using No-Explode ( just finished first jar ) Nitrix and Cellmass, on high recommendation from a friend. ive gotten some pretty decent gains from it too. What would you guys recommend in its place?

akjose

Awards
Well **** ive been using No-Explode ( just finished first jar ) Nitrix and Cellmass, on high recommendation from a friend. ive gotten some pretty decent gains from it too. What would you guys recommend in its place?
your all good, keep on using it.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
i called my retailer to find out how to return my no shotgun and they told me i was the 6th person to call in about the recall, he also told me that the recall only applied to australia. and not to worry about it. not real sure if he was correct or if he just didnt want to deal with a return but thats what he told me

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Definitely doesn't surprise me with the BSN.....

VPX on the other hand, comes as a surprise. I really like(d) NO-Shotgun for what it was. I also use several other VPX products and am happy with their results. We'll see how this whole situation unfolds. Hopefully VPX is legit and BSN, well who gives a **** about them...

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm sure a lot of companies just mix crap in a dirty basement, then send it out to a packaging place.

If legal supps like this crap are tainted, I can't imagine what is in some of those 'prohormones' that you guys are using that were manuf. in China.
Well I'm hoping for anadrol or dbol contamination.lol I could just imagine how fast sh!t would fly off the shelf if that was the case.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Maybe VPX is putting crack in redline LOL ?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have any concrete, third-party tests for the Coumarin tainting showed up? Moreover, have they been from all batches to show that the QCS of VPX are fubar'd?

People are far too quick to jump the gun on some of these things. If there have been such tests, excuse me.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
Now I understand why ronnie coleman lost the last 2 O`s...

VanitySmurf

VanitySmurf

Awards
Okay just need to clear up a few things. I just came across this article today and was quite concerned having used both the NO Explode and Cellmass products. First I need to make a couple of points:
1. (Not related to this thread). But is the CEM3 stuff for real? Disappointing as I thought I jumped on the Ethyl Ester bandwagon but it appears it is just a monohydrate. Interesting though as I have seen significant improvements but this could be because it is my first time using Creatine. Would be interested if anyone could recommend a good creatine based product.
2. The Coumarin traces found in Cellmass do not pose immediate alarm. Do not quote me on this but I will explain the nature of this recall. I did some calling around and spoke with someone at the therapeutic goods administration office. They said the recall has been issued because in Australia any product that contains even minute traces of coumarin is considered a “prescription medicine”. This means that in Australia these product violate this regulation and should not be sold without a valid medical prescription. In other countries this drug or levels of this drug do not classify it as a prescription based medicine and this may explain why we have not seen anything in the UK or US.

Not sure what is regarded a healthy level but it is clear that the supplement market needs better regulation and this has been enough to turn me off other NO type supplements(and BSN). If anyone has more information please share...by my thoughts now are to stick with a basic supplement stack consisting of:
Protein, Creatine Monohydrate, Green Tea extract and possibly Aginine...no more “mumbo jumbo” mixes though! Would be interested to hear what brands people can recommend at present I like the ON Proteins and Maximuscle have a comprehensive line of products and seem to exhibit traits of a responsible organisation.