Do ZMA products keep anyone else AWAKE?

D

de49152

Awards
My wife and I have tried ZMA products twice, but we both felt groggy and awake all night. Tried Z-Mass and Abyss. I guess we're just insomniacs, sensitive to the slightest stim. Anyone else?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have had good luck using Lean Dreams. However I'm fairly stim dead. Now I used to have trouble taking any night time formula and sleeping. However my body chemistry is changing and I can sleep on these now.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wife and I have tried ZMA products twice, but we both felt groggy and awake all night. Tried Z-Mass and Abyss. I guess we're just insomniacs, sensitive to the slightest stim. Anyone else?
A typical ZMA product should not contain any stims. Basically, zinc (monomethionine), magnesium (aspartate) and vitamin b6. None of these should keep you awake within the recommended doses.

D

de49152

Awards
A typical ZMA product should not contain any stims. Basically, zinc (monomethionine), magnesium (aspartate) and vitamin b6. None of these should keep you awake within the recommended doses.
I think zinc or B-vitamins may be stimulating for sensitive folks.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I take ZMA usually 1-2 hrs before I go to bed. It is not critical that you take ZMA exactly before you sleep, just as long as you take it at some point in the day on an empty stomach.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think zinc or B-vitamins may be stimulating for sensitive folks.
You are generally right. It is just that the form of zinc that should be used in a ZMA product should be better absorbed than elemental zinc. Besides, if you stay within 40-50mg of zinc daily, you should be fine. As for the B-vitamins, only some of them create problems if they are overdosed for a long period of time.

NAS

NAS

Awards
I found that if I only take a mag/zinc combo i have trouble getting to sleep, but ZMA does not give me any issues

J

Jet

Awards
  • Established
The first few nights I started using ZMA products they kept me awake, but I still woke up feeling more rested than usual. After a few nights, I could fall asleep pretty easily again.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
My Optimum Nutrition ZMA kept me up.

I take it during the day now. :)

B

Bwill

Awards
They keep me up as well. Here is a very good response from a Millennium Sports rep in response to a question I had about ZMK:

For some reason zinc and magnesium products have this effect on a small portion of the population. There are various theories as to why but they are all unsubstantiated. One thing you may try is taking the dose about an hour before dinner. This may help out. If not then move the dose more towards the middle of the day.

As a last ditch effort you might try taking the product until you go to bowel tolerance and then cut the dose back. For instance try taking 5 tablets one night and then 6 tablets the next night. See if you can saturate your system and then cut the dose back to normal. Loose stool will be the sign that you are saturated with magnesium. If the loose stool takes a while to subside just take a calcium tablet, a glass of milk or other high calium food or product and it will stop the loose stool. You might be really mineral deficient for some reason.

Let me know how it goes.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
i tried z-mass by cytodtne a long time ago and i could not sleep for the life of me. i have used dymatize's z-force a few times and i think it is a great product. plus its one of the best deals out there, like $9 a month and i was amazed at how affective it was for me. i highly recommend looking into to it if you are looking for a zma product that works. just my two cents though.

S

sixpack9675

Awards
I find im sleeping better, have been taking for 3wks

jezzab05

jezzab05

Awards
i find it 'keeps me up' from about 5 am ...... but we are probably on different thought tracks here

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
ZMA has always worked great for me, deeper sleep, and fall asleep faster, leading to better recovery

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never noticed any problem with ZMA keeping me up, although sometimes I've found that GABA actually makes me sleep poorer.
define "poorer"?

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
This is yet another example of how supplements can work SO DIFFERENTLY for different people. :)

Magnesium alone taken before bed will knock me out, but I'll wake up 5 hours later.

L-Arginine, L-ornithine, L-lysine will knock me out, but I'm up 3 hours later.

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed something similar with myself. But it does not apply to ZMA only. If I take anything that aids in sleep or relaxation and do not go to sleep right away, it will have an adverse effect on me. For instance, if I take 2 Tylenol PMs (just a for instance) and stay up through the grogginess, I will have the hardest time getting to sleep. Same goes for ZMA, phenibut and a couple other things I've tried. Although the effects were not nearly as prevalent as with others, it still kept me from sleeping comfortably...

Now on the other hand, if I go right to bed after taking it, lights out.

D

DeathDealer

Awards
When I first took it it kept me awake most of the night. I thought, "this is crap! it's supposed to help you sleep, but it does the opposite". I quit taking it for a while. I decided to try it again, and this time I take it an hour before I sleep, and then right before I sleep I drink a protein shake with whey and casien. Now I sleep like a baby and have relly interesting dreams. I don't know if it's the timing, or the protein shake, but something has changed for me.