Beta-Alanine, comments??

hendrix91870

hendrix91870

Awards
I want to start using beta-alanine, but i'd like to get some feedback on what people think about it. If anyone uses it, i'd like to hear how it works for you.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Love it, staple product at 5g per day. Increases my cardio in both weight training and MMA.

hendrix91870

hendrix91870

Awards
are u suggesting i shouldnt take more than 5 g per day. When do you recommend taking the serving??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are u suggesting i shouldnt take more than 5 g per day. When do you recommend taking the serving??
It is the dose that I have found to have the solid effects while still being very economical. I haven't really dabbled in higher doses for extended periods of time, though.

hendrix91870

hendrix91870

Awards
do u take your serving in the morning, pre-workout or post workout?

hendrix91870

hendrix91870

Awards
so by drinking the rest throughout your workout do you find that helps you get through ur training? or make it more intense

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so by drinking the rest throughout your workout do you find that helps you get through ur training? or make it more intense
Both. My training sessions are generally in the 2 hour ballpark and I like to dose it like this to have a steady stream entering my system and it also helps to keep me hydrated.

hendrix91870

hendrix91870

Awards
very true, i will definitely try that then.

I appreciate it.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I will be loading with 9-10 grams than tapering it to 5-6 grams thew out my cycle.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
5g is on the high end

Dave Pulumbo says its useless if you eat a high enough content of red meat, regardless, I doubt many of us do eat enough red meat.

3g is what I would go with, thats just me though (both from everything I've read on the science and from experience).

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am a vegetarian any how which I feel a lot better when I stoped eating animals 4 - 5 years ago. So for me it is very critical any how. I am going with 9 because I am not doing it all in 2 dosages etc. I am spreading out 3:3:3 ratio than when I cut it down to 5 I will do 2:2:2:1 ratio.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I just finished with IntraXcell and IntraBolic from Athletic Edge Nutrition and loved the BA effect from those products. It was my first experience with Beta Alanine of any kind, so I cannot comment on a bulk version of the product. I've seen a major increase in endurance and recovery which = more intense workouts!!

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
absolute staple....ba is amazing stuff..

dazilla

dazilla

Awards
  • Established
its a staple for me also... I got hooked on this stuff since Body Octane

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
the highest dose used in human studies has been 6.4g......there is no need to go over that.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe it was found to be taken best with carbs, so when loading or even dosing in general I take it with my carbs; usually my post-WO shake and a bit with my carb meals. I do about 4g maintenance and have been on it for a while.

Edit: When I say loading I mean the initial phase when muscular levels of carnitine are starting to rise, you don't need to take massive doses of BA, just take 4-5g for a few weeks and it happens naturally :)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No need to load it. It works a lot better mixed with creatine. I used a creatine product that has it in it at 1 gram per scoop(half serving), and it works great. No need to use more than 2 grams per day. Anything over that is really a waste.

scrappydog

Awards
It's got a higher presence in chicken than red meat. Red meat is creatine.

BA is not useless for grappling. A lot of guys including myself love it for that purpose. Poliquin has his athletes using 10g/day so I would not worry about taking too much. I use 4-6g/day and notice improvement in muscular endurance. I also use citrulline malate and cordygen for mat endurance but if I had to use one thing it would be BA.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
It's got a higher presence in chicken than red meat. Red meat is creatine.

BA is not useless for grappling. A lot of guys including myself love it for that purpose. Poliquin has his athletes using 10g/day so I would not worry about taking too much. I use 4-6g/day and notice improvement in muscular endurance. I also use citrulline malate and cordygen for mat endurance but if I had to use one thing it would be BA.
weird, Pulumbo was saying carnosine is found mostly in red meat.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Both. My training sessions are generally in the 2 hour ballpark and I like to dose it like this to have a steady stream entering my system and it also helps to keep me hydrated.
not to mention the insane skin itching and buring youd get from one glass of 5g BA.... geez even 2g's does me dirty.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
BA is one of the most noticable supps I've ever used. I started out using Biotest's extended release at 6 grams a day, split into three doses. After about two weeks, I had this one day where everything was suddenly easier, and I had more endurance. Was bloody weird. I just use bulk nowadays, I still split it up into a couple doses. I don't really keep track of how much, but I get a couple grams throughout the day.

scrappydog

Awards
... After about two weeks, I had this one day where everything was suddenly easier, and I had more endurance. ..

Exactly what I noticed with training bjj/grappling.
In about 2 weeks one day I just noticed I had much better endurance.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Exactly what I noticed with training bjj/grappling.
In about 2 weeks one day I just noticed I had much better endurance.
I was doing distance bicycling at the time, and same thing, one day hills suddenly meant nothing.:cheers:

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea it makes a difference for cardio, although I notice it only in low-mid intensity cardio. HIIT is balls-to-the-wall , BA might let me push myself harder but it doesn't make it seem easier like I notice with mid-intensity (i.e. 30mins after a workout on the elliptical say)

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
Yea it makes a difference for cardio, although I notice it only in low-mid intensity cardio. HIIT is balls-to-the-wall , BA might let me push myself harder but it doesn't make it seem easier like I notice with mid-intensity (i.e. 30mins after a workout on the elliptical say)
yeah, HIIT is always hard! LOL....that's not going to get any easier. :p

BUT it has allowed me to run faster during my 90% intervals. So, just like you were saying, it doesn't really make HIIT easier but it allows you to push yourself harder :thumbsup: