Oatmeal + protein technique - AnabolicMinds.com

Oatmeal + protein technique

  1. New Member
    xxRowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    84

    Reputation

    Oatmeal + protein technique


    I am new to this site and have literally read about 50 threads in the last 2 days. I have been jotting down a lot of notes on what is said here. I am certainly happy to find this website. However, I have searched for about the last two hours and can't find a post that I ran across. There was a discussion about how to mix raw oats into Nectar protein, where one of you simply pours oats into your mouth and then takes a sip of your Nectar protein shake. That sounds like a great idea, and was going to try it. I just wanted to make sure I remembered it correctly. It's ok to eat the oats raw w/o cooking them first? I think that you said that you blend them first. Is that correct? For the last year or so I have simply mixed Blueberry Pom juice with Syntha-6 post work-out. I know this is a little heavy on carbs and this other idea sounds better and also may taste better. Opinions or clarification anyone?

  2. Advanced Member
    rysigpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    933
    Rep Power
    586

    Reputation

    You have two options:

    1.Make oatmeal in the microwave like you normally would. (add water and nuke). Then scoop in your desired amount of protein and maybe add some splenda if you so desire. Mix the cooked oatmeal and protein together....you may have to add some water to get it to a nice consistancy. ENJOY! It is yummy with most all well flavored protein powders.

    2. Grind oats up as fine as you can using a coffee bean grinder, blender or food processor. Then in a shaker you can combine your protein powder and ground oats. NOTE: to know the carb content of the oats you must weigh them out....grinding them makes it more dense (more can fit into a 1/2 cup). So just get a digital scale and use that... fairly cheap at wally world.
  3. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rysigpi View Post
    You have two options:

    1.Make oatmeal in the microwave like you normally would. (add water and nuke). Then scoop in your desired amount of protein and maybe add some splenda if you so desire. Mix the cooked oatmeal and protein together....you may have to add some water to get it to a nice consistancy. ENJOY! It is yummy with most all well flavored protein powders.

    2. Grind oats up as fine as you can using a coffee bean grinder, blender or food processor. Then in a shaker you can combine your protein powder and ground oats. NOTE: to know the carb content of the oats you must weigh them out....grinding them makes it more dense (more can fit into a 1/2 cup). So just get a digital scale and use that... fairly cheap at wally world.

    Nice posting. The combination of nectar and oats might be an aquired taste. I personally have tried oats with milk with All The Whey Cinnamon Bun flavor. It taste pretty good but be sure to have enough milk or water in the mix. Without the right amount of milk or water, the protien may feel very powdery when your trying to eat it the oats. Good luck.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    jezzab05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    129

    Reputation

    1 tbsp oats with acacia honey poured over it....try it
  5. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rysigpi View Post
    You have two options:

    1.Make oatmeal in the microwave like you normally would. (add water and nuke). Then scoop in your desired amount of protein and maybe add some splenda if you so desire. Mix the cooked oatmeal and protein together....you may have to add some water to get it to a nice consistancy. ENJOY! It is yummy with most all well flavored protein powders.

    2. Grind oats up as fine as you can using a coffee bean grinder, blender or food processor. Then in a shaker you can combine your protein powder and ground oats. NOTE: to know the carb content of the oats you must weigh them out....grinding them makes it more dense (more can fit into a 1/2 cup). So just get a digital scale and use that... fairly cheap at wally world.
    I use option 1 every day for breakfast. I also like to add some chopped walnuts for some good fats, and to bring the nutrient ratios to 40/40/20.

    My recipe is 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 1 cup water, 5 minutes in microwave at 1/2 power. Then, after it has cooled for just a bit I add a scoop and a half of whey protein and about three crushed walnut halves. It comes to 400 calories at 40/40/20.

    However, I have some comments about #2. If you grind up your oats, you are going to increase the surface area greatly, and therefore increase the rate that it gets digested... which would probably cause the glycemic index of your oats to go higher and higher. You will not want that, but rather have your carbs digested slowly until your next meal.
  6. New Member
    Gator Alum 03's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    314

    Reputation

    1/2 cup oats, 2 tbsp peanut butter, egg protein, 2 splenda's = delicousssssssssssss
  7. Banned
    MuscleGuyinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,106
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    I'm gonna try these.
  8. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Alum 03 View Post
    1/2 cup oats, 2 tbsp peanut butter, egg protein, 2 splenda's = delicousssssssssssss
    Yea, thats basically the same recipe as mine... Though, I usually use about 1/2 tbsp peanut butter than that, since 2 tbsp is about 200 calories, and would kick my nutrients to around 33/33/33.
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimalG View Post
    However, I have some comments about #2. If you grind up your oats, you are going to increase the surface area greatly, and therefore increase the rate that it gets digested... which would probably cause the glycemic index of your oats to go higher and higher. You will not want that, but rather have your carbs digested slowly until your next meal.
    As much as I hear this I sure would like to see the data to support this.

    It's still a complex carb, isn't it? Quantify the increase in GI and quantify the impact on the rate of glucose/glycogen update as well as any impact on adipose. Just curious to see this to support that claim.

    IMHO if you have no need to sweat this.
  10. Senior Member
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimalG View Post
    ...
    However, I have some comments about #2. If you grind up your oats, you are going to increase the surface area greatly, and therefore increase the rate that it gets digested... which would probably cause the glycemic index of your oats to go higher and higher. You will not want that, but rather have your carbs digested slowly until your next meal.
    Actually there was a study, I think posted here by Bobo, that found that decreasing particle size does increase the GI for both Wheat and Corn but not Oats. Oats maintained the same GI no matter whether they where whole, ground or powder.
  11. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    As much as I hear this I sure would like to see the data to support this.

    It's still a complex carb, isn't it? Quantify the increase in GI and quantify the impact on the rate of glucose/glycogen update as well as any impact on adipose. Just curious to see this to support that claim.

    IMHO if you have no need to sweat this.
    In general, when you make carbs like oats easier to digest, such as cooking them longer, grinding them or flattening them down more (like instant oats), you increase the glycemic load because they are able to be digested much more quickly. This increases your insulin response more rapidly.

    See page 2485 in this PDF from the Journal of the American Medical Association:

    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/292/20/2482.pdf

    Instant Oatmeal: Glycemic index of 117
    Steel cut oats: Glycemic Index of 50

    On a side note, I think standard 'old fashioned' oats are a good middle ground between steel cut (30 minute cooking time) and instant (baby food mush)
  12. Advanced Member
    rysigpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    933
    Rep Power
    586

    Reputation

    Was the "instant oatmeal" the kiddie variety that is all sugared down?
  13. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimalG View Post
    In general, when you make carbs like oats easier to digest, such as cooking them longer, grinding them or flattening them down more (like instant oats), you increase the glycemic load because they are able to be digested much more quickly. This increases your insulin response more rapidly.

    See page 2485 in this PDF from the Journal of the American Medical Association:

    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/292/20/2482.pdf

    Instant Oatmeal: Glycemic index of 117
    Steel cut oats: Glycemic Index of 50

    On a side note, I think standard 'old fashioned' oats are a good middle ground between steel cut (30 minute cooking time) and instant (baby food mush)
    "Care was taken to minimize changes that might effect glycemic index, such as cooking time, reheating, freezing or overrippening"

    But does grinding effect the glycemic index? And what are the differences in the glycemic index between cooking times, reheating, freezing, etc. I am not arguing that there is a change, but I am challenged to see where there is documentation that quantifies the change. Actually I am not arguing, just discussing

    So where would raw ground steel cut oats fall in the index?

    I use raw ground oats only in my (pre and) post workout shakes and it is likely the best of both worlds in as far as a complex carb and a GI in this particular application. JMO
  14. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    But does grinding effect the glycemic index? And what are the differences in the glycemic index between cooking times, reheating, freezing, etc. I am not arguing that there is a change, but I am challenged to see where there is documentation that quantifies the change. Actually I am not arguing, just discussing

    So where would raw ground steel cut oats fall in the index?
    Yea, grinding would effect the glycemic index.

    I would love to know how much cooking times affected the GI, but it would depend on the carb that you are cooking. Cooking white rice for 20 minutes probably would affect GI more than cooking brown rice for 20 minutes, because brown rice remains a hard grain for so much longer.

    It would depend on how well ground they are.... Just imagine your carb sitting in a bowl of water. How long would it take for them to become mush? THings like brown rice and steel cut oats will sit there for a long time before they start to dissolve into mush. Well cooked white rice and most breads will become mush pretty quickly. Thats the same thing happening in your stomach.

    I think that mildly ground steel cut oats would have a very low glycemic index....
  15. Senior Member
    wrasslin116's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Power
    875

    Reputation

    I usualy mix my shake then pour the oats in, let it soften then eat/drink it.. tastes pretty good.
  16. New Member
    jezzab05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    129

    Reputation

    1 tbsp honey (eucalyptus is lush)
    1 tbsp nat pb
    1 cup oats
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 banana
    cup or two of milk
    and blitz it up.

    Heaven after a w/o. I thought them squats had actually killed me one day
  17. Senior Member
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    Reputation

    Arrow


    Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

    Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

    University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

    When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. Insulin responses were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal. The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

    Originally posted by Bobo at: Does blending oats in shake make it more glycemic?
  18. Jet
    Jet is offline
    New Member
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    258

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

    Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

    University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

    When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. Insulin responses were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal. The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

    Originally posted by Bobo at: Does blending oats in shake make it more glycemic?
    Thanks for digging that up, I've been mixing ground oats in my shakes pre and post workout ever since I read some old posts by Bobo, but was starting to forget whether the GI was completely unaffected
  19. New Member
    xxRowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    84

    Reputation

    Thanks for all of the input. Definitely answered the question. Will now put to good use.
  20. Registered User
    Big BAMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,409
    Rep Power
    1302

    Reputation

    my morning shake, 1cup uncooked oatmeal, 1 banana, 1tablespoon natty pnutbutter, 60g protein universal nutrition, 2cups milk, couple of ice cubes. and three minutes in a blender. tasty!
  21. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Big BAMA View Post
    my morning shake, 1cup uncooked oatmeal, 1 banana, 1tablespoon natty pnutbutter, 60g protein universal nutrition, 2cups milk, couple of ice cubes. and three minutes in a blender. tasty!
    Wow!

    1 cup oatmeal = 300 cal
    1 banana = 100 cal
    1 tbs peanutbutter = 100 cal
    60g protein universal nutrition = 240 cal?
    2 cups milk (skim) = 180 cal

    Almost 1000 calories using skim milk! Wow.
  22. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Thanks for digging that up, I've been mixing ground oats in my shakes pre and post workout ever since I read some old posts by Bobo, but was starting to forget whether the GI was completely unaffected
    Yeah, thanks datBtrue. Same boat here.
  23. Registered User
    Big BAMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,409
    Rep Power
    1302

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimalG View Post
    Wow!

    1 cup oatmeal = 300 cal
    1 banana = 100 cal
    1 tbs peanutbutter = 100 cal
    60g protein universal nutrition = 240 cal?
    2 cups milk (skim) = 180 cal

    Almost 1000 calories using skim milk! Wow.
    Yep, Sure is and if you're gonna get big you gotta get the cal's someway. why not let it taste good? How many cal's a day do you eat?
  24. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Big BAMA View Post
    Yep, Sure is and if you're gonna get big you gotta get the cal's someway. why not let it taste good? How many cal's a day do you eat?
    3400-3600

    I usually don't ingest 1000 calories in one sitting though. :-)
  25. Registered User
    Big BAMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,409
    Rep Power
    1302

    Reputation

    But it taste soooooo good!
    Think about it. Most weight gainers are about 600-1000 cal's in one sitting and mostly sugar. This ain't. plus it fills me up till my mid morning snack.
  26. New Member
    TheAnimalG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    176

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Big BAMA View Post
    But it taste soooooo good!
    Think about it. Most weight gainers are about 600-1000 cal's in one sitting and mostly sugar. This ain't. plus it fills me up till my mid morning snack.
    :-) I didn't say that you shouldn't do it! If it works for you, then great! I started out as a fat guy, so I'm not able to get away with eating that many calories in a single sitting.
  27. Senior Member
    AnonyMoose's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    768

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Alum 03 View Post
    1/2 cup oats, 2 tbsp peanut butter, egg protein, 2 splenda's = delicousssssssssssss

    natty pb with oatmeal rocks!
  28. Senior Member
    heebs10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Power
    1153

    Reputation

    i eat most of my oats raw. so easy if u get the individual packets, even better when they have the dried fruit pieces in it. i think i tastes good stright out of the package dry. i can take it with me in the car or wherever, sip on a protein shake and im all good.
  29. On the Rag & it Roks
    spaceclown's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    253

    Reputation

    I use a that annoying as seen on TV Magic Bullet and grind my oats to a fine powder. Throw it in a shaker with a couple scoops of whey and am good to go. If I am out I put 2 scoops whey, oat powder (was 1/2 cup before blending), some dry milk into a shaker and roll. All you need to do is add water when you need a shake.

    http://www.buythebullet.com/
  30. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    603

    Reputation

    I like:

    2 cups skim milk = 180
    1 scoop protein = 110 cal
    3/4 cup oats = 250cal
    1 tablespoon EVOO = 120 cal

    Tastes fine to me at about 650 calories. And probably the cheapest thing you can eat/drink on a budget.
  31. Senior Member
    asianbabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,616
    Rep Power
    1807

    Reputation

    Every morning I do oats and whey.

    If I'm in a good mood I'll make pancakes.

    Take about 2 mins.. Boil some water, ground up your oats, mix together, add in whey, mix again. Eat.

    To avoid clumps, you could try add a little bit of room temperature water first, OR use a electric blender/mixer thing.
  32. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceclown View Post
    I use a that annoying as seen on TV Magic Bullet and grind my oats to a fine powder. Throw it in a shaker with a couple scoops of whey and am good to go. If I am out I put 2 scoops whey, oat powder (was 1/2 cup before blending), some dry milk into a shaker and roll. All you need to do is add water when you need a shake.

    http://www.buythebullet.com/
    seriously though the bullet is a BB shake drinkers dream machine, using the big cup i just toss in all my crap take it of screw on a lip and drink.... plus it works and a processor grinder juicer..... frickin awesome little contraption.... sorry just get excited bout silly stuff that works so well.
  33. Senior Member
    asianbabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,616
    Rep Power
    1807

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    seriously though the bullet is a BB shake drinkers dream machine, using the big cup i just toss in all my crap take it of screw on a lip and drink.... plus it works and a processor grinder juicer..... frickin awesome little contraption.... sorry just get excited bout silly stuff that works so well.
    I had one of those and loved it. Then it broke.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Recees Pieces Oatmeal (mucho protein)
    By mindgamerst in forum Recipes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM
  2. Protein oatmeal?
    By WarcraftJJS in forum Recipes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
  3. Mixing Oatmeal and Protein Powder
    By Pzough in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
  4. Protein Packaged Oatmeal
    By 99sscamaroma in forum Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in