Whats the best protein shake that doesn't taste like crap?

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
I'm thinking it might have to be chocolate flavored, since my experience with anything vanilla flavored is pretty nasty. So far the only advice I've gathered is not to go with anything muscletech.

Right now I've got a thing of GNC brand Mega MRP Extreme vanilla flavored, and man it tastes so bad I think I might have to throw it out.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Are you looking for a Whey Isolate or a blend?

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
Are you looking for a Whey Isolate or a blend?
I honestly can't say I'm educated as to what that means exactly. I'm just looking for something that can put 15-20 pounds on me within a reasonably short amount of time, like 1-2 months.

I was also recommended something from the NO explode line of products.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've only used two brands for the past two years or so: Anabolic Innovations (I'll miss you peanutbutter whey isolate :( ) and Optimum Nutrition.

Edit: We posted at the same time...Those are lofty goals. Supplements are just that...supplements to your diet and training. I doubt you'll get 20 pounds in 1-2 months off of almost anything (that's hefty even for gear). Diet is going to be key regardless of your goals. Search the bulking forums. There's way more info there than any of us will ever be able to read.

Start by figuring out how many cals you need per day and then search macro nutrients aka macros. Are you an athlete? Why the need for so much weight in such a short amount of time? Bodybuilding is not a sprint, it's more like a marathon (I think I read that here somewhere...I'm not that poetic...it might have been B5150 or BigV :think: )

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Whey Isolate absorbs faster than casein and blended proteins, which is most beneficial post-workout. If you're looking for a protein powder to use in more of a meal replacement or pre-bed scenario, a casein based blend like Xtreme Formulation's Ultra Peptide would be a good choice IMO. That's what I use.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
protein and no xplode definitely wont put 20 pounds on you in 1-2 months. those are steroid results, not protein and NO results.

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
protein and no xplode definitely wont put 20 pounds on you in 1-2 months. those are steroid results, not protein and NO results.
I forgot to tell you guys that I'm only 6'0 150 pounds to begin with though.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I personally prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey...Cookies and Cream flavor. It tasted great so I stuck with it.

Sampson

Banned
Awards
My favorite isolate protein is ISO-100. You can get it from nutraplanet at:

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/dymatize/iso-100-2-lb.html

It takes awesome! It will by no means pack on 15-20lbs in 1-2 months however. With your stats though, if you eat like a damn horse you can probably gain 10 lbs in 2 months. Eating and sleeping are the two most important things. Make sure your getting atleast 8 hrs of sleep a night.

IMO NO products are junk, so I won't even comment on that aspect of the thread.

B1ggie

B1ggie

Awards
Your best bet is Xtreme formulations Ultra peptide. It is an blend of 51% MC and whey isolate. Or Ergo Pharm GF PRO which is an isolate.

For putting on pounds, your best bet is steak protein, and lifting heavy ****!!!!!

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
If your 6'0" and 150 you may want to look at some weight gainers with a little more calories in the protein. For post work out optimum is ok because it has a little hydrolized protein for post-workout. Muscle Milk is another easily available shake that you can use for bed time or MRP and will have a little more calories and some slow digesting casein and dietary fat.

BigAsian

BigAsian

Awards
for bulking up i love ON's Pro Complex Gainer. I like the chocolate and banana is actually really good. ive used this on numerous bulks. its not one of those 1200 calorie gainers more like 620. very easy to drink. 1 shake/day can easily put 1lb/week on you for sure. add that to eating like a horse and creatine mono. if you want to get big your diet has to be in place. 20lbs is a bit crazy for 2months. its taken me all year to put 25lbs lbm on.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
i lifted for a while and didn't use protein shakes even. once i started having protein shakes and a **** load of eggs i gained 10 pounds in two weeks. i went from 150-160. it was a weird ass diet. i had eggs at breakfast eggs at lunch with two turkey sandwiches and then just ate "a lot" haha later in the day. i had decently sized meals but i was by no means eating properly or anything. anyways... whey protein 3-4 times a day could add a good amount of weight on you. i had 1 at breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 post workout, 1 before bed. many suggest casein protein because idk the words for it but whey puts the protein right into your system and casein protein is a longer lasting kind of thing. hopefully you kind of understand it more now?

joelast

joelast

Awards
If you looking to Bulk I would just get some of GNC's bulking product in chocolate, because its hard to messs up chocolate. Just take it like twice a day on top of what you allready eating

As for protein ON whey Double chocolate is good, but there vanilla tastes like ass

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
A cost effective way to bulk is to go to Sam's Club and get the 6lb bag of EAS 100% Whey for $28. They have chocolate and vanilla. Mix that with some Waxy Maize Starch from NutraPlanet and presto, instant weight gainer.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Why recommend GNC products? They are a rip even if you have the finances! Order in bulk from nutraplanet stick with a quality brand such as Optimum nutrition.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why recommend GNC products? They are a rip even if you have the finances! Order in bulk from nutraplanet stick with a quality brand such as Optimum nutrition.
Nutraplanet doesn't sell bulk protein...

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
yea sorry just was a quick reply should have specified

ann1hilate

Awards
strange actually
the guy that works at a gnc near me, honest guy, stops ppl from buying muscletech products and tells em better stuff or even not even shop at the store and buy stuff online

anyways he told me that the GNC Brand Protein is actually made by Optimum Nutrition...

:think:
this claim true? i duno but theres a possiblity maybe, and btw he never recommends buying gnc products either just only the protein because of this claim.. but otherwise he hates gnc and muscletech, nice guy i must say haha

Last edited:
djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What makes Optimum nutrition quality. I came to the conclusion from a friend that worked at mass nutrition for a while that ON which is the same as ABB is decent but not the best. Even the numbers in inventory he told me was not the quickest moving supply.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Are you sure ON and ABB are the same? I wasn't aware of this.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
well i actually prefer ABB mass building rtd(over 1000 cals)

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
Scroll on down to the company forums and check out all the whey. I switched over to them a few months ago from ON, and have absolutely no regrets. Probably the best tasting protein I've tried.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
To be honest i get all protein from food rarely do i have to have a powder or rtd.

jerm

Awards
Syntrax Nectar
Do some research on diet and you can definitely gain that 15-20lbs.

dhuge67

dhuge67

Awards
  • Established
1) Xtreme Formulations - Ultra Peptide 2.0 (173 calories - 9g fat, 18g protein, 5g carbs)
Best tasting protein out there, fat content is slightly high, but it is "good fat" in there compared to muscle milk. Total calories pretty low.

2) Biotest - Metabolic Drive Low Carb - would be perfect except for Biotest shipping charges being more out of control than I am when I play Grand Theft Auto. (100 to 110 calories, 2g fat, 20g protein, 4g carbs)

3) Core Nutritionals - Core MRP - meal replacement but amazing taste and for the price of whey-only powders.
(370 calories, 5g fat, 40g Protein, 40g carbs, 9g fiber)

4) Ergopharm GF Pro - Whey-only shake (90 calories, 23g protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat) Great taste somehow.

5) Optimum Nutrition also makes a good tasting/good deal protein mix.

These are all good options worth cycling through.

B1ggie

B1ggie

Awards
1) Xtreme Formulations - Ultra Peptide 2.0 (173 calories - 9g fat, 18g protein, 5g carbs)
Best tasting protein out there, fat content is slightly high, but it is "good fat" in there compared to muscle milk. Total calories pretty low.

4) Ergopharm GF Pro - Whey-only shake (90 calories, 23g protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat) Great taste somehow.

X2, great picks. GF PRO does not mix well in a shaker cup but it taste great. Try the pineapple mango.

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
I guess I'll go with optimum nutrition since that's what's been recommended the most.

Do you guys prefer to mix it with water or milk? Personally I've thought mixing with milk tastes better, as well as the added nutritional value in milk with the fat and calcium.

By all means, I am willing to take in as much fat as possible so it's no issue for me, I feel that I don't get enough fat. By no means do I have really chiseled abs, but it is pretty much impossible for me to grab a fist full of gut while standing up, I figure whatever is there can be used as fuel for enhancing the muscles. Also sit-ups is no problem for me.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
i personally like Dymatize Elite Whey, the CAFE MOCHA IS THE SHIZNITS BEST TASTING OUT THERE

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
strange actually
the guy that works at a gnc near me, honest guy, stops ppl from buying muscletech products and tells em better stuff or even not even shop at the store and buy stuff online

anyways he told me that the GNC Brand Protein is actually made by Optimum Nutrition...

:think:
this claim true? i duno but theres a possiblity maybe, and btw he never recommends buying gnc products either just only the protein because of this claim.. but otherwise he hates gnc and muscletech, nice guy i must say haha
I was justinGNCasIwas buying a few Isopure RTDS that were on sale for a 1.50 he repeatly told me how awful they were and how i should buy a muscletech rtd product. I then countered that have you seen the new anabolic halo he responded yea you just need to do more than the recomended dosage to see results lol!!!!

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
i found a good quality protein that is also very cheap. next nutrition makes it and it costs about 40 bucks for 10lbs. its called "obtibol" and its on clearance at supplementwarehouse.com. the banana creme and vanilla creme are both really good tasting

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
stay away from gnc's strawberry flavor protein. it tastes awefull

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You haven't tried 'crap' (more like sh!t) until you've tried Six Star. I give plenty kudos to anybody who can down that deathly powder.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
GNC is a freaking joke shop!
I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one whose made the mistake of going into that store. I'm glad to say that I never fell for their poor persuasian of trying to convince me to purchase more than what I had went there for. But, unfortunately, I was going there for BSN's NO-Xplode, lol. I've chatted up a friendly guy who works in my local GNC a few different times. I'd probably stop in to talk to him about training and whatnot, but never will I ever buy anything from them again. They're definitely not nearly as busy as they used to be. Ages ago, of course.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
lol ive tried six star. i got that crap at wall mart!

Matt Skiba

Matt Skiba

Awards
Six Star? That sounds like some cheap ass booze you would find in a southern dive bar.

I just got my order of optimum nutrition cassein in today, stuff isn't bad, but it doesn't seem to have anything extra in it like vitamins and creatine and stuff.

Nutraplanet was also nice enough to send me a free sample of syntrax nectar. Holy crap that stuff tastes amazing. I'm thinking that's where I might go with the next batch of protein I buy.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
yea I'm thinking about getting a few tubs of isopure maybe applemelon and peach mango. That crap has 50g p servering with BCAAS (I take bulk but its still beneficial)

Jay Madden

Jay Madden

Awards
I like AlltheWhey's stuff. For the quality you get, it is the best deal out there and some of their flavors are kind of bland, but none of them have been bad.

I have 15 pounds of CinnamonBun WPI coming and I've heard it tastes a lot like the real deal so this next 2-3 months ought to be fun. :)

eazy90

Awards
Muscle Milk tastes AMAZING

Chocolate and caramel swirl = heaven

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I might just get my custom mixes from Protein Factory and buy some premium flavor packs from True Protein. My custom mixes will be unflavored, or vanilla (whichever is available), and I'll just flavor to my liking. I absolutely love custom products.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I might just get my custom mixes from Protein Factory and buy some premium flavor packs from True Protein. My custom mixes will be unflavored, or vanilla (whichever is available), and I'll just flavor to my liking. I absolutely love custom products.
lol who dosent? there fit to your exact liking lol!

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol who dosent? there fit to your exact liking lol!
If I remember correctly, then one of my custom mixes is about 90% protein and the other, 95%. What I like even more about ordering from TP or PF, is the fact that you can choose the sweetener, any supplements, and/or vitamin/mineral that you want in your order. It's pretty nifty. I just wish NP would do this, but it's said that it'd take ~$60,000 to run such an operation. That seems like a bit much, but I'm sure that NP has actual figures. If they haven't considered this as a service to offer their customers, then hopefully they'll at least take it into some deep consideration. Knowing NP, they'd have no problem stealing business from TP and PF.