Wondering

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
is there nay type of supplements out there that can help with the flexablity of your muscle i mean to help it be a little more lose, you know whta i mean because if BJ Penn can put his legs behind his head without using his hands thats fricken awesome, i mean i stretch 30min prior to work out and 30mins after and i still feel alittle tight and all i drink is water, diet soda once a day and gatorade and stuff is that not enough or what?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Flexibility has a lot to do with tendon elasticity. You can make your muscles more flexible, but there is only so much you can do to increase your flexibility. That being, said just because you are inflexible doesn't mean you will suck at grappling. The best grappler in my gym is also probably the least flexible one.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I found in the past that partner stretching seemed to work quite well. Our high school track coach required around 20 min of it each workout.... and my flexibility increased dramatically. The same held true for a number of clients I have trained.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
i concur with the partner stretching. i did is all the time back in my hs wrestling days and it really seems to work, it just takes time.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
using a foam roller helped me out a good amount. There pretty easy to rig up if you dont feel like buying one but defiantly worth sticking too.

Jay Madden

Jay Madden

Awards
x2 on the foam roller. Mine keeps me from having to constantly go to the chiropractor. The roller works on the fascia and makes it more pliable thereby allowing for more flexible expression of the muscle and more room for muscle growth. Everyone should own one. It was the best $40 I've spent in a long time.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
pvc pipe, foam insulation tape, and duct tape also make a nice roller that wont get softer or weak. May be a little more painful at first though.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A bit of information if you desire to learn something...

Many people are unaware of the fact that there are different types of flexibility. These different types of flexibility are grouped according to the various types of activities involved in athletic training. The ones which involve motion are called dynamic and the ones which do not are called static. The different types of flexibility (according to Kurz) are:

Dynamic flexibility (also called kinetic flexibility) is the ability to perform dynamic (or kinetic) movements of the muscles to bring a limb through its full range of motion in the joints.

Static-active flexibility (also called active flexibility) is the ability to assume and maintain extended positions using only the tension of the agonists and synergists while the antagonists are being stretched (see section Cooperating Muscle Groups). For example, lifting the leg and keeping it high without any external support (other than from your own leg muscles).

Static-passive flexibility (also called passive flexibility) is the ability to assume extended positions and then maintain them using only your weight, the support of your limbs, or some other apparatus (such as a chair or a barre). Note that the ability to maintain the position does not come solely from your muscles, as it does with static-active flexibility. Being able to perform the splits is an example of static-passive flexibility.

Research has shown that active flexibility is more closely related to the level of sports achievement than is passive flexibility. Active flexibility is harder to develop than passive flexibility (which is what most people think of as "flexibility"); not only does active flexibility require passive flexibility in order to assume an initial extended position, it also requires muscle strength to be able to hold and maintain that position.