Is it necessary to pre-load creatine?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I've been cycling creatine on and off over the past couple years... I'll stay on it for 3-4 months, then take a month off... I seem to make some decent gains while I'm on it, but I was wondering about pre-loading .... Is pre-loading more for the first time user using it, or should you pre-load it every time you "start" using it. (If that makes sense).

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read somewhere that the creatine pre-loading recommendation is outdated. Pre-loading is not necessary. A dosage of about 3gr of creatine monohydrate per day can be taken over an extended period of time.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pre-loading works, but is not necessary.

Huh?

Pre-loading saturates the system faster, bringing muscular stores up to maximum faster. 3-5 gr per day will do the same, over a month or so. Once you are saturated, that's it, the end result is the same.

Now, I recently read a study showing that it's not just about keeping stores filled; it's also about serum levels of creatine. The study showed that loading may be more effective because the serum levels are higher throughout the day. The study implied that while it doesn't matter when you dose to keep stores high, a pre-workout dose will keep stores high AND elevate serum creatine levels, which may have an immediate effect on strength.

Hmmm.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
The information is fairly mixed on the subject. By taking 3-5g of monohydrate a day, your body will saturate over the next month, but experts like Dr. Eric Serrano insist that cycling and loading phases will garner the best results. I tend to do the loading phase, despite the fact that I usually feeling like crap during it.

DB2000

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've given up on loading, but do cycle thru the different creatine types

BorixTheBlade

BorixTheBlade

Awards
It also depends on the type of creatine. Monohydrade can yeild faster results if loaded but AKG and EE supposedly never need to be loaded. I don't load Mono and I still gain size from it.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
I beleive i read that your creatine uptake receptors get burnt from monohydrate after about 4 days of use, which is why "supposedly" pulsing or cycling creating 3 on 3 off is very effective.

I think loading is outdated because if this theory on receptors being spent is ture then loading would just burn your receptors within first week and without a break you would have a hard time recovering;
nonetheless i like to take 10grams monohydrate just on training days

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
I beleive i read that your creatine uptake receptors get burnt from monohydrate after about 4 days of use, which is why "supposedly" pulsing or cycling creating 3 on 3 off is very effective.

I think loading is outdated because if this theory on receptors being spent is ture then loading would just burn your receptors within first week and without a break you would have a hard time recovering;
sounds very interesting, does anyone have any studies to back this?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Loading is not necessary. Like everyone elese has been saying you can just take 3-5 grams per day...You will be saturated quicker with loading but it really isn't necessary. To each his own though, whatever you want to do.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I doubt it. Where have you seen that?