Hoodia Potential

Jim Sadler

Awards
I started a thread in the Diet area, but my interest in hoodia actually is broader than that. I might be the only one, but I think hoodia deserves more attention from a bodybuilding perspective (as opposed to a strictly weight-loss perspective).

A lot of supplement companies (e.g. Avant) and popular diet advice (e.g. "Cheat To Lose") have touted the desirability of "tricking" the body into thinking it's in a "fed" state, so it's not so stingy about costly metabolic processes, like using precious fat stores for energy, or building muscle.

Hoodia is believed to work in precisely this fashion: signaling the hypothalamus that you've eaten already (that is, blood sugar is high).

Seems to me that if properly applied, hoodia would be a fantastic aid not only to weight loss, but adding lean mass.

I have lots of questions about hoodia's potential uses...

Does hoodia cause insulin spike?
While hoodia knock you out of ketosis?
Does hoodia reduce the cortisol response to exercise?
Does hoodia have a positive impact on mood?

(Essentially, all these questions are "Does hoodia act like carbs, without being a carb source?)

Unfortunately, not a lot of research on any of these questions. But does anyone care to speculate?

I've used hoodia (bulk powder) and found it highly effective at suppressing appetite. I also was extremely lean while using it. Right now I'm using a carb-cycling approach, and I feel like I've lost a lot more muscle that I ever did while on hoodia.

If no one cares, I promise I'll never bring up hoodia again...

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Jim, Surprised no one has commented. To be honest, i don't know a lot about Hoodia, mainly due to a few articles I read that were proof enough to me not to pursue it further. The articles dealth with the rarity and cost of actual hoodia. Numbers were cited discussing the volume that is sold to the U.S. market, vs the amount that is actually produced. (Tons more sold than is even produced....)

This left me assuming than what the U.S.is getting is either 1. ineffective, or 2. laced.

brantmeister

Awards
When I took Hoodia, I had problems with headaches of all things. It might be because I wasn't being properly fed, but I can't guarantee that.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It shows a lot of promise...unfortunately you have a TON of unscrupulous companies out there (you listening to me, Stella Labs) that claim to have quality product and it ends up being jack ****. Nobody has had enough chance to work with REAL material to see where the true potential is.

I have some ideas here.

Jim Sadler

Awards
I too have had varied experiences with hoodia from different sources. I bought bulk extract from two different popular on-line retailers. One was dark green, the other light green. The dark green powder worked very well. I perceived no effect by the light green powder.

I'm just glad to see it's on other peoples' radars.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I too have had varied experiences with hoodia from different sources. I bought bulk extract from two different popular on-line retailers. One was dark green, the other light green. The dark green powder worked very well. I perceived no effect by the light green powder.

I'm just glad to see it's on other peoples' radars.
It is always the thieves the underdose or simply mislabel, including something with no actives, that tends to ruin the reputation of a promising compound, thus making it far more difficult to truly be able to get some real world feedback on quality extract.

Let me see about getting some sample material out to test, complete with p57 peak test.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
It is always the thieves the underdose or simply mislabel, including something with no actives, that tends to ruin the reputation of a promising compound, thus making it far more difficult to truly be able to get some real world feedback on quality extract.

Let me see about getting some sample material out to test, complete with p57 peak test.
Ooo I likey. The only hoodia supplement I've used was in Zappetite, but that had a few other ingredients like OEA and Evodiamine. Worked very well.. wouldn't it be nice to get the other two in bulk too while you're at it?:stick:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ooo I likey. The only hoodia supplement I've used was in Zappetite, but that had a few other ingredients like OEA and Evodiamine. Worked very well.. wouldn't it be nice to get the other two in bulk too while you're at it?:stick:
Evodiamine is quite expensive, but we are using it in another supplement.

Also working on a semi-stim burner/suppressant to stack with DCP, so these ingredients are definitely possible to have soon.

Jim Sadler

Awards
That sounds great dsade. Again, glad someone else is interested in this stuff.