Supplements Prior to Surgery

1. Registered User

Arrow Supplements Prior to Surgery

I have liposuction and several lipomas to be removed on January 18th. Interested in knowing how far in advance is it recommended all supplements be stopped (Activate Xtreme, Lean Xtreme, Fish Oil, Sesathin, AMP, Green Tea, and Alpha Drive XL).

Look to start the following stack this week which will give 2 weeks and a day off of all supplements. Is that a sufficient enough amount of time (actually stopping all fish oil and sesathin about 3 weeks out):

Week Activate AD LX Restore
    11/21/07 35 21 28 14
    11/28/07 42 21 28 14
    12/5/07 42 28 28 14
    12/12/07 42 35 28 14
    12/19/07 42 35 28 14
    12/26/07 42 35 28 7

TOTAL 245 175 168 77

2. Banned

You should probably discuss this with your doctor.
  3. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by drksun View Post
    You should probably discuss this with your doctor.
    Agreed - essentially sesathin, fish oil, green tea prodcuts (per a surgeon I know) as well as anything else with excess amounts of vit E should be stopped for 2-3 days prior to surgery.
    •   

4. Registered User

Anesthesia is nothing to mess around with.
    Stopping some supplements for 2-3 weeks isn't going to make a big impact in your diet/training program. Stop the supps 3 weeks before if you can.
  5. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.

I would err on the side of caution. I would stop for a few weeks. I would not want anything to cause a complication during or after surgery. Why take a chance?
  6. Registered User

Agree you should clarify with your doctor. Yet, anesthesia unleashes substantial free-radical activity in your system, such that supplementation with potent antioxidants (including vitamin C and n-acetyl-cysteine) is recommended even a few hours prior to surgery (or anesthesia) to ensure elevated cellular levels of these free-radical quenchers. Your doctor should confirm this. At any rate, all the best in advance!
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  7. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Agree you should clarify with your doctor. Yet, anesthesia unleashes substantial free-radical activity in your system, such that supplementation with potent antioxidants (including vitamin C and n-acetyl-cysteine) is recommended even a few hours prior to surgery (or anesthesia) to ensure elevated cellular levels of these free-radical quenchers. Your doctor should confirm this. At any rate, all the best in advance!
    NAC is only used prior to using iv contrast dye ie in someone who is renally compromised that will undergo cardiacatheterization. None of this is substantiated in terms of the antioxidant role pre or post operatively.

Another addition is Ginkgo - stop the supps atleast 2-3days and you should be fine. First orgder supps have ginkgo in addition to the beta alanine.
  8. Registered User

Definitely; think I am going to cut my AX/LX cycle to 5 weeks to give a solid 3 ways of no vitamins, supplements, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Big BAMA View Post
    I would err on the side of caution. I would stop for a few weeks. I would not want anything to cause a complication during or after surgery. Why take a chance?
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeerDeer;
    NAC is only used prior to using iv contrast dye ie in someone who is renally compromised that will undergo cardiacatheterization. None of this is substantiated in terms of the antioxidant role pre or post operatively...
    The issue of antioxidant supplementation is recommended. A practitioner should confirm this.
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  10. Gold Member

The issue of antioxidant supplementation is recommended. A practitioner should confirm this.
    It is not overtly recommended in the manner you suggest.

NAC is used in the setting of the use of IV contrast dye in renal failure for example prior to cardiac catheterization.
    http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:12821233

It is also used as Mucomyst in the setting of anesthesia not for antioxidant use but rather to break up mucus sectretions.
  11. Registered User

It is not overtly recommended in the manner you suggest.

NAC is used in the setting of the use of IV contrast dye in renal failure for example prior to cardiac catheterization.
    http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:

It is also used as Mucomyst in the setting of anesthesia not for antioxidant use but rather to break up mucus sectretions.
    I understand NAC's role in lung support. I am sure you know how important NAC is in glutathione metabolism. And how important glutathione is as one the most potent hepato-protective agents.
  12. Gold Member

I understand NAC's role in lung support. I am sure you know how important NAC is in glutathione metabolism. And how important glutathione is as one the most potent hepato-protective agents.
    NAC IS in fact important in the production of glutathione. Suggesting its role in anesthesia as you describe is inaccurate - no doctor will recommend you load up on Vit C and NAC prior to surgery other than the aforementioned circumstance I mention for NAC.

Its role as an important antioxidant is however descibed correctly by you - just not in the preoperative setting.

Cheers!
  13. Registered User

... no doctor will recommend you load up on Vit C and NAC prior to surgery other than the aforementioned circumstance I mention for NAC...
    That is a very strong statement. I know practicing doctors, medical researchers, and orthomolecular scientists who see the subject differently.
  14. Gold Member

That is a very strong statement. I know practicing doctors, medical researchers, and orthomolecular scientists who see the subject differently.
    If they see the subject differently that is one thing, if they PRACTICE it differently that is not adhering to the clinical standards of today - these clinical standards IN NO dimension suggest oral supplementation of NAC being beneficial prior to anesthesia - unless indicated in cardiac catheterization in the setting of renal dysfunction or prevention of renal dysfunction. Take it from a practicing doctor.
  15. Registered User

If they see the subject differently that is one thing, if they PRACTICE it differently that is not adhering to the clinical standards of today - these clinical standards IN NO dimension suggest oral supplementation of NAC being beneficial prior to anesthesia - unless indicated in cardiac catheterization in the setting of renal dysfunction or prevention of renal dysfunction. Take it from a practicing doctor.
    I do not think we would make a lot of progress on this subject. "Take it from a practicing doctor" may not do it. There are also practicing doctors that believe supplements are a complete waste. Are they necessarily right, because they practice?

I take my leave, sir!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supplement to take prior to cheat meals?
    By mirra250 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM
  2. Sups Prior to Surgery
    By longrob in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
  3. Opinions on Supplement Stack to Review
    By OCCFan023 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
  4. Replies: 8