My ZMA has hops in it!

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I was looking through my supplement cabinet and I found a bottle of ZMA that also has hops as one of the ingredients. I did some research on it and found that it is a phytoestrogen! Why would they do this? I assume it was for sleep benefits. Would there be any harm if I were to take this? I believe that it only has about 100mgs of hops in it.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was looking through my supplement cabinet and I found a bottle of ZMA that also has hops as one of the ingredients. I did some research on it and found that it is a phytoestrogen! Why would they do this? I assume it was for sleep benefits. Would there be any harm if I were to take this? I believe that it only has about 100mgs of hops in it.
It should not be a problem, in my opinion. It was added because hops is a calming agent.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I usually drink a beer before bed for this reason ;)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So that's why I fall asleep anytime I drink a beer...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hops is not a phytoestrogen, it is a plant.

A phytoestrogen is nothing more than an estrogen found in a plant. Not to be confused with the estrone and estradiol your body produces, a phytoestrogen will not necessarily produce the same effects.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Hops is not a phytoestrogen, it is a plant.

A phytoestrogen is nothing more than an estrogen found in a plant. Not to be confused with the estrone and estradiol your body produces, a phytoestrogen will not necessarily produce the same effects.
Yep. While IMHO there are some concerns from phytoestrogens and especially xenoestrogens, people should remember how (in)effective the steroid-like compounds that are found in plants are. Just because a plant chemical resembles a chemical we do or don't want doesn't mean that it will exert the same effects in vivo.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies. What is everyone's opinion on soy?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Soy and Red Clover isoflavones = BAD

I mean, if you get a little bit hear and there, I think you will be ok. But if you're supplementing or getting a chronic intake of these guys, you will start to notice some undesireable effects (lack of energy and libido).

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies. What is everyone's opinion on soy?
Soy delivers important benefits in terms of cholesterol modulation, integrity of the immune system, bone density, insulin sensitivity, T3/T4 hormone synthesis, insulin sensitivity, and fat metabolism.
Combining soy and whey produces a protein mix that is more anabolic than either alone.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The most important soy isoflavones are daidzein, genistein, and glycitein. These isoflavones help inhibit the development of unfavourable brest-cell colonies, help prevent gallstones, can help reduce proteinuria and other forms of renal damage, can inhibit bone loss, may help modulate cholesterol and lipid levels, fight lipid peroxidation, and so on.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know a couple of them have an adverse effect on testosterone, though.

If I remember correctly, daidzein inhibits the release of LH. But I'm sure all these negative effects are dose dependent.