Bulk Leucine or BCAA during the day

evankyle

Awards
is it recommended to take either bulk Leucine or BCAA during the day not near the workout. I take BCAA while lifting and leucine post. I take 2 protein shakes a day. Would it be of any benefit to add leucine or bcaa to them. In addition, is it recommended to drink bcaa between meals. I am eating 6 to 7 meals a day and trying to add about pounds as much lean as possible in the next 6 months.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sip on the BCAA's during the day, since leucine is only one component of BCAA's. Has always worked great for me! Extend Lemonade=mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sip on the BCAA's during the day, since leucine is only one component of BCAA's. Has always worked great for me! Extend Lemonade=mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Amen to Lemonade Xtend lol. I often takes a Tbsp of Leucine with my meals , but sipping on BCAA's would probably help too. I just take the leucine because what I've read about the mTOR pathway, but I couldn't say if it actually does anything. I picked up a kilo though, and a tablespoon with every meal lasts for ages.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All my shakes have leucine already in it so I don't need to take extra leucine with my shakes. I do take bcaa's time to time threw out the day.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I capped leucine pills. I take them with meals and take about ten grams postraining

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
(Bulk) Leucine and (other) BCAAs can be taken pre-, intra-, and post-workout.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
(Bulk) Leucine and (other) BCAAs can be taken pre-, intra-, and post-workout.
I sip 5 scoops on grape xtend in a jug throughout the day....then sip on them throughout the day. Postworkout i take 10g LEUCINE with my protein shake.

just the way ive been doing and love it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Extra leucine is almost a must for me for a solid pre/during WO drink. Right now, my drink is 10g of BCAA, 5g Leucine, 4 g of Beta Alanine, and I will be adding 25g of SuperCarb very soon to this. I mix it in 20 oz of water, drink half about 30 minutes before training, then refill and drink the rest while I train.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Right now, my drink is 10g of BCAA, 5g Leucine, 4 g of Beta Alanine, and I will be adding 25g of SuperCarb very soon to this.
I'm just waiting on few things and I will be doing something similar. Peptopro (hydrolyzed casein without the bad taste), BA, leucine and SuperCarb sipped during the day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm just waiting on few things and I will be doing something similar. Peptopro (hydrolyzed casein without the bad taste), BA, leucine and SuperCarb sipped during the day.
Isn't Peptopro insanely expensive?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is so great about pro peptide again?

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
What is so great about pro peptide again?
Full of Di and Tri Peptides, basically Hydrolyzed Casein that doesn't taste like ****. Its absorbed right in the intestinal tract and doesn't need to be broken down 1st. And supposedly it's hypoallergenic.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Leucine specifically is known for its ability to trigger protein synthesis so its possible that the other BCAA's may not be a "must" so long as you're getting complete proteins in sufficient numbers throughout the day.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucine is most effective post exercise. More then just promoting protein synthesis, it perpetuates insulin release. Of the BCAA's, it has the greatest hypertrophic effect, apart from the isoleucine and valine. I think what you're doing sounds perfect. BCAA throughout the day, Leucine post exercise. Keep it up

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Full of Di and Tri Peptides, basically Hydrolyzed Casein that doesn't taste like ****. Its absorbed right in the intestinal tract and doesn't need to be broken down 1st. And supposedly it's hypoallergenic.
Is it better than vp2?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In all honestly vp2 is the best protein Ive found.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In all honestly vp2 is the best protein Ive found.
seems like peptide pro is like vp2. In that case my esp shake has short chain of amino acids.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The protein I currently use has a standard 2:1 leucine to isoleucine/valine ratio, but at a pretty significant amount, like 4 grams of leucine per serving and that really substantiates the quality of a protein for me.

I agree that whey alone has the con of a rapid digestibility, but I only take protein shakes post exercise, where the speed of digestability is KEY (taking advantage of the increased insuline sensitivity and perpetuating the release of insuline via blood leucine concentrations). With all that said, Evo pro looks pretty good. If I knew the amino profile Evo had I'd switch over.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The evo pro is casein and whey, I think the Vp2 is only whey. I don't use evo pro, but it looks like a much more complete protein. Evopro mentions glutamine, but I didn't find a full amino acid profile on either one. The protein I currently use has a standard 2:1 leucine to isoleucine/valine ratio, but at a pretty significant amount, and that really substantiates the quality of a protein for me.

I agree that whey alone has the con of a rapid digestibility, but I only take protein shakes post exercise, where the speed of digestability is KEY (taking advantage of the increased insuline sensitivity and perpetuating the release of insuline via blood leucine concentrations). With all that said, Evo pro looks pretty good. If I knew the amino profile Evo had I'd switch over.
I have had much more fullness with EvoPro than I have had with any whey protein. I also use 10-15g of BCAAs with 5g of extra Leucine pre/during WO (along with some other goodies).

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had much more fullness with EvoPro than I have had with any whey protein. I also use 10-15g of BCAAs with 5g of extra Leucine pre/during WO (along with some other goodies).
I do the exact same thing (extra BCAA's and even more Leucine). Evo sounds good having both slow and fast digesting proteins.

the EAS protein I'm taking, although it's all whey, it's 4grams of leucine and 2 grams of iso/valine, which is pretty good. I haven't found that in any other protein yet. If you know of any let me know.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do the exact same thing (extra BCAA's and even more Leucine). Evo sounds good having both slow and fast digesting proteins.

the EAS protein I'm taking, although it's all whey, it's 4grams of leucine and 2 grams of iso/valine, which is pretty good. I haven't found that in any other protein yet. If you know of any let me know.
It is really common for whey to have a 25% concentration of BCAAs, but peptide-bound and free-form AA are two different things.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is really common for whey to have a 25% concentration of BCAAs, but peptide-bound and free-form AA are two different things.
I take free form bulk leucine and I rely on the BCAA's from my protein. Is there a downfall from relying on my protein for my BCAA's? Or is it more effective to add bulk BCAA to the mix? What's the different effects if any?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take free form bulk leucine and I rely on the BCAA's from my protein. Is there a downfall from relying on my protein for my BCAA's? Or is it more effective to add bulk BCAA to the mix? What's the different effects if any?
There is a much different effect on the physique and performance. I am a little crunched for time right now, but shoot me a PM later and I will go more in-depth.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is a much different effect on the physique and performance. I am a little crunched for time right now, but shoot me a PM later and I will go more in-depth.
Cool thanks, I'm off to class anyway

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Similar, but different. PeptoPro uses casein and VP2 uses whey.
Within milk there exists two forms of protein: casein, which makes up nearly 80% of the total protein in milk, and whey, the other 20%. Whey protein is a more soluble protein and is much richer in content than its less valuable, though more abundant brother, casein. Also, whey protein is abundant in branched-chain amino acids, which are vital to building and maintaining muscle tissue. During the process of extraction, whey
protein is separated from its original compound during milk's
transformation into cheese. The resulting product is pure whey
protein. There for wouldn't it be safe to say whey protein is a better option?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Within milk there exists two forms of protein: casein, which makes up nearly 80% of the total protein in milk, and whey, the other 20%. Whey protein is a more soluble protein and is much richer in content than its less valuable, though more abundant brother, casein. Also, whey protein is abundant in branched-chain amino acids, which are vital to building and maintaining muscle tissue. During the process of extraction, whey
protein is separated from its original compound during milk's
transformation into cheese. The resulting product is pure whey
protein. There for wouldn't it be safe to say whey protein is a better option?
Define "better." No single protein is going to radically alter your physique/strength. Casein is more anti-catabolic than whey and I am more concerned with avoiding catabolism than inducing anabolism. Post-WO is a somewhat catabolic state, so I choose to use EvoPro, which is a blend of whey and casein, but is predominantly micellar casein. With adequate pre-WO nutrition, there really is not a need for a huge shot of fast digesting protein or carbs.