Vitamin E to compensate for lack of light

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I've done some reading, and I heard it was 2000 IU a day. Winter is coming, and I'd like to supplement with it. Any suggestions?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've done some reading, and I heard it was 2000 IU a day. Winter is coming, and I'd like to supplement with it. Any suggestions?
i have been using vitamin d. be careful of taking too much vit e, jjohn, ive heard of people having reactions on too high a dose.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that's why I want to make sure I reap all the benefits of it without overdosing...

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also supplement with Vitamin D, but only a bit of Vitamin E. I think it is 400 IU's, but I wouldn't go too high. I just dug up the article I read: STUDY SHOWS HIGH-DOSE VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENTS MAY INCREASE RISK OF DYING that talks about high levels of Vitamin E.

Also in that page, there is "Current United States dietary guidelines do not recommend vitamin E supplementation; however, the guidelines do set an upper tolerable intake limit of up to 1,500 IU per day."
I really wouldn't worry about losing you to Vitamin E overdosing, but I found that to be interesting.

A better read perhaps is this article here: Vitamin E's Lack Of Heart Benefit Linked To Dosage

With the key point being
"They found that it was necessary to give at least 1600 IU per day to cause a significant reduction in oxidative stress -- twice that used in some of the previous clinical trials.

"It was clear that large doses -- and doses in excess of what all clinical studies had used -- were necessary," Morrow said.

"Even with this massive dose of vitamin E, you only observe a 50 percent reduction in F2- isoprostanes," added Roberts. "So in my opinion, vitamin E is not the spiffy antioxidant everybody thinks it is -- it's a pretty poor antioxidant."

Hope that helps jjohn. So 2000 IU's wouldn't be a bad start, but you might want to consider other Antioxidants . I don't know what you're taking otherwise, but good luck with it :)

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Steve, thanks a lot for the info man I appreciate it!

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
I also supplement with Vitamin D, but only a bit of Vitamin E. I think it is 400 IU's, but I wouldn't go too high. I just dug up the article I read: STUDY SHOWS HIGH-DOSE VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENTS MAY INCREASE RISK OF DYING that talks about high levels of Vitamin E.

Also in that page, there is "Current United States dietary guidelines do not recommend vitamin E supplementation; however, the guidelines do set an upper tolerable intake limit of up to 1,500 IU per day."
I really wouldn't worry about losing you to Vitamin E overdosing, but I found that to be interesting.

A better read perhaps is this article here: Vitamin E's Lack Of Heart Benefit Linked To Dosage

With the key point being
"They found that it was necessary to give at least 1600 IU per day to cause a significant reduction in oxidative stress -- twice that used in some of the previous clinical trials.

"It was clear that large doses -- and doses in excess of what all clinical studies had used -- were necessary," Morrow said.

"Even with this massive dose of vitamin E, you only observe a 50 percent reduction in F2- isoprostanes," added Roberts. "So in my opinion, vitamin E is not the spiffy antioxidant everybody thinks it is -- it's a pretty poor antioxidant."

Hope that helps jjohn. So 2000 IU's wouldn't be a bad start, but you might want to consider other Antioxidants . I don't know what you're taking otherwise, but good luck with it :)
Vitamin D is great and the RDA values are soon to go up. They are now saying 2000iu of Vitamin D is safe.

Here’s my .02 on the vitamin E study.

Don't quote me on this because it appears that I have deleted the study, but; I seem to remember when this study hit that the study was done on elderly people (who were dying in convalescent homes) and they were all given dl-alpha-tocopherol which is synthetic vitamin E and is the wrong chiral form to be beneficially used by the body. Many experts believe that synthetic vitamin e being the wrong chiral form contributes to free radical damage by becoming a free radical itself opposed to quenching free radicals like vitamin E is supposed to.

In my opinion any study using synthetic E is highly flawed and should never be credibly published.

400-1000iu per day is still safe in my opinion providing that it’s a natural form of vitamin E. It's a terrific antioxidant if consumed in natural form and there is ample vitamin C available to recharge it effectively.