Why Is It Bad To Mix Creatine With...?

BIGNBUFF

Awards
Acidic juices such as orange or grapefruit juice? I've read many articles on creatine but have not read anything about why not to.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is very much susceptible to acid hydrolysis (or cyclization). Meaning, it has a tendency or makeup to form creatinine in an acidic condition. (stomach acid for example).
The formation of creatinine from the original creatine structure is irreversible as well, and when creatinine is formed, it no longer holds any physiological benefit.
Sage

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Was there a study ever posted on this? As far as breakdown on certain acidic fruit juices.

BIGNBUFF

Awards
Creatine is very much susceptible to acid hydrolysis (or cyclization). Meaning, it has a tendency or makeup to form creatinine in an acidic condition. (stomach acid for example).
The formation of creatinine from the original creatine structure is irreversible as well, and when creatinine is formed, it no longer holds any physiological benefit.
Sage
I see. Thanks buddy. You guys are most helpful here.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
The acids in your stomache are of much stronger PH, yet creatine makes it through your stomache fine. Combining creatine with an acidic juice and drinking it down without letting it sit is fine (through my use of common sense).

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
That was my assumption banana, thats why I asked for a study. I imagine if there is a study about creatine breakdown to creatinine, they probably let it sit in there for quite some time. Creatine isn't stable in any liquid that we have tried so far, so it probably has nothing to do with the fact that the liquid you are using is acidic... the real concern is just letting it sit for a long time...and we are probably talking days here before there is any considerable breakdown. I ran a quick search on pubmed but didn't find anything

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
interesting conjecture but I believe whosyourdaddy is right I could find no study on pubmed concerning creatines instability in acid.