Garlic's heart protective mechanism discovered

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
October 17, 2007

Garlic's heart protective mechanism discovered

An article appearing in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) described research conducted at the University of Alabama at Birmingham which provides a link between cardiovascular disease protection and the the amount of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) released from red blood cells by their interaction with garlic.

Hydrogen sulfide is a gas produced by the body in small amounts that decline with age. The current study is the first to demonstrate that garlic compounds known as polysulfides increase the body's production of hydrogen sulfide. The finding adds to those of another study published online in PNAS on September 18, 2007 which reported a cardioprotective effect of hydrogen sulfide against the tissue and cell damage that occurs following a heart attack.

In the current research, the team found that a concentration equal to eating two cloves of fresh garlic led to blood vessel relaxation of up to 72 percent in rat arteries due to the release of hydrogen sulfide. “When these garlic compounds are metabolized to H2S in the vascular system, the H2S targets membrane channels and causes smooth muscle cells to relax,” explained lead researcher David W. Kraus, PhD, who is an associate professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham's Departments of Environmental Health Sciences and Biology. “So a garlic-rich diet has many good effects, and H2S may be the common mediator.”

“The role of garlic compounds in preventing platelet aggregation, which can trigger a heart attack or stroke, and in limiting cancer growth and the progression of several diseases is well documented,” Dr Kraus noted. The current research shows that hydrogen sulfide may be a mechanism through which garlic provides its various effects. The optimal amount of garlic or garlic supplements needed for the greatest benefits will be the subject of future research.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome another excuse to liberally use garlic on everything.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i love garlic..i could put on anything and love it!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i love garlic..i could put on anything and love it!
Right on track. I also love garlic. Garlic, especially aged garlic and standardized for allicin, is amazing: Protection of endothelial lining and cell-wall integrity; stimulation of the proliferation of lymphocytes and immune-system enhancement; tumor-cell growth inhibition; vasodilation (as blood thinner); reduction in cholesterol levels; maintenance of healthy cellular DNA structure; potent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent (may neutralize some of the intended effects of arachidonic acid, for instance). I am sure "jjohn" will react to this comment!
Garlic supplementation is a great way to obtain all the benefits without the undesirable "side effects" such as bad breath and perspiration from eating raw garlic.

Awful Knawful

Awful Knawful

Awards
Do you know how they make the odor free garlic supplementation? I sometimes wonder if you lose some of the beneficial effects with that process.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Do you know how they make the odor free garlic supplementation? I sometimes wonder if you lose some of the beneficial effects with that process.
That is an interesting question. Given that this article says that the benefits come from the release of hydrogen sulfide. My guess is that de-odorizing garlic would involve either tinkering with the sulfur containing componentns (which could be a problem according to this article) or somehow encapsulating them so that they get digested lower in the digestive track (probably not an efficacy issue then).

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Generally, aged garlic is preferred. Aging garlic converts its harsh and highly odorous compounds into more beneficial and significantly less odorous compounds.
As far as I know, several methods exist for further deodorizing garlic. These include enteric coating, microwave irradiation, bonding garlic to peptides, bonding garlic to saccharides, the use of high pressure, using fumaric acid in the preparation of garlic, and soaking garlic in saline solution or in a solution containing natural silica. And so on.

Awful Knawful

Awful Knawful

Awards
Generally, aged garlic is preferred. Aging garlic converts its harsh and highly odorous compounds into more beneficial and significantly less odorous compounds.
As far as I know, several methods exist for further deodorizing garlic. These include enteric coating, microwave irradiation, bonding garlic to peptides, bonding garlic to saccharides, the use of high pressure, using fumaric acid in the preparation of garlic, and soaking garlic in saline solution or in a solution containing natural silica. And so on.
So by bonding to peptides and saccharides your saying they deodorize them by just bonding them to sugars and/or proteins to alter the makeup a bit?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:blink: HOLY CRAP....this man knows his garlic......hahaha

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So by bonding to peptides and saccharides your saying they deodorize them by just bonding them to sugars and/or proteins to alter the makeup a bit?
The full benefits of aged garlic are not jeopardized post-deodorization. The compound just becomes more "user-friendly".

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Garlic is for sure good stuff. I eat garlic and olive oil everyday. The only side effect I get from the garlic is lots of gass and smelling it comming out of my pores on occasion.

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
it's also what you give to your dogs to help prevent heartworms

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it's also what you give to your dogs to help prevent heartworms
wow, I didnt know that. Thats pretty cool.
Everything we need comes from the earth. Eat what grows and what eats what grows and you cant go wrong!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Garlic is for sure good stuff. I eat garlic and olive oil everyday. The only side effect I get from the garlic is lots of gass and smelling it comming out of my pores on occasion.
Aged-garlic supplements help. You get a precise and potent dose of the actives without the breath/smell-related negatives.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Aged-garlic supplements help. You get a precise and potent dose of the actives without the breath/smell-related negatives.
what is a good company that sells that stuff?

You know there are a few people i know that never get sick and one of the things they eat alot of is Garlic.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what is a good company that sells that stuff?

You know there are a few people i know that never get sick and one of the things they eat alot of is Garlic.
As far as I recall, the best brand around is Kyolic® Aged Garlic Extract. Kyolic has different aged-garlic products. Some Kyolic aged-garlic products even contain an enzyme blend of amylase, protease, cellulase, and lipase, to assist in food digestion; or even an antioxidant blend. Pretty advanced!

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As far as I recall, the best brand around is Kyolic® Aged Garlic Extract. Kyolic has different aged-garlic products. Some Kyolic aged-garlic products even contain an enzyme blend of amylase, protease, cellulase, and lipase, to assist in food digestion; or even an antioxidant blend. Pretty advanced!
thanks alot bro!