Quercetin lowers blood pressure in clinical trial

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
October 22, 2007

Quercetin lowers blood pressure in clinical trial

A trial reported in the November, 2007 issue of the journal Nutrition determined that administering the flavonol quercetin to adults with hypertension reduced blood pressure in a matter of weeks. Supplementation with quercetin in rats has been shown to reduce blood pressure, however, its potential in hypertensive humans had not been evaluated prior to the current study.

Thunder Jalili and colleagues at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City enrolled 19 men and women with prehypertension, and 22 with stage I hypertension in the current randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. Blood pressure ranged from 120 to 139 mm Hg systolic and 80 to 89 mm Hg diastolic in the prehypertensive group and from 140-159 mm Hg systolic and 90 to 99 mm Hg diastolic in the stage I hypertensive patients. Participants were given 703 milligrams quercetin daily or a placebo for 28 days, followed by a two week period in which no supplements were given. In the second 28-day phase of the trial, the groups' treatment regimens were switched. Blood pressure was measured, and blood samples were drawn and analyzed for quercetin levels and other factors at the beginning and end of each phase of the trial.

Plasma quercetin levels doubled compared to placebo after four weeks in the participants that received quercetin. Although quercetin did not improve blood pressure in subjects with prehypertension, systolic pressure was reduced by an average of 7 points, diastolic by 5 points, and mean arterial pressure by 5 points in stage I hypertensive patients.

"Our study is, to our knowledge, the first to show that quercetin reduces blood pressure in stage I hypertensive individuals," the authors write. "Our data indicate that potential exists for this polyphenolic compound to be used as adjunct therapy in diet/lifestyle interventions to help control blood pressure in hypertensive individuals," they conclude.