Readers Digest article about Vitamins

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
C Is for Colds
Even if a vitamin does no harm, it may do, well, nothing. Take the ever popular myth that popping vitamin C will stave off colds. A review of 30 studies involving more than 11,000 people who took at least 200 mg of vitamin C daily found that it offered little protection in reducing the length or severity of common colds for most people. It did work for some people, such as marathon runners and skiers, who undergo periods of high stress, but the study’s authors say the rest of us shouldn’t bother taking it.

That was the problem right there. I didn;t read the whole thing but that caught my eye.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
C Is for Colds
Even if a vitamin does no harm, it may do, well, nothing. Take the ever popular myth that popping vitamin C will stave off colds. A review of 30 studies involving more than 11,000 people who took at least 200 mg of vitamin C daily found that it offered little protection in reducing the length or severity of common colds for most people. It did work for some people, such as marathon runners and skiers, who undergo periods of high stress, but the study’s authors say the rest of us shouldn’t bother taking it.

That was the problem right there. I didn;t read the whole thing but that caught my eye.
In most cases, the problem is that Vitamin C is dramatically underdosed. If at least 2000mg were used instead of at least 200mg, the outcome would have been significantly different. Therapeutic doses of Vitamin C can start from 6000mg per day. There are even cases of practitioners administering their patients 30000mg or more daily for certain therapies. For daily maintenance purposes, though, one could take 1000mg to 3000mg daily. 200mg per day is like pissing in the ocean! Waste of time!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not sure who sponsored that study. It would not be entirely responsible to seriously argue that multivitamins and minerals do not work. An argument like that would be hard to sustain. Besides, respected orthomolecular researchers have long advised against overdosing Vitamins A (Beta Carotene), E, Selenium, Folic Acid, Iron, Zinc, and Niacin. So that was no new insight!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
200 mg of Vitamin C is like taking nothing.

Reader's Digest is to legitimate science reporting as Garfield comics are to the study of cat biology. :twisted:

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I remember reading that article. And I thought about how we as bodybuilders run so many nutrients through our bodies, and break our bodies down so much every day that it would only make sense that we should get a higher dosage of vitamins per day to compensate. I've noticed a lot of articles like this one where they claim that something is not beneficial and a waste of time and yada yada yada. I've also learned to not believe everything in magazines because I remember in high school I read some article in ESPN about how terrible steroids are and they cause side effects in everyone and depression and theres no real responsible way to cycle and all this other stuff. Well, how many people are there that show that there are responsible ways to use these compounds? So even this should tip off an alarm in our heads saying "maybe they don't quite know what they're talking about". Sorry, kinda went on a rant there.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
I am not sure who sponsored that study. It would not be entirely responsible to seriously argue that multivitamins and minerals do not work. An argument like that would be hard to sustain. Besides, respected orthomolecular researchers have long advised against overdosing Vitamins A (Beta Carotene), E, Selenium, Folic Acid, Iron, Zinc, and Niacin. So that was no new insight!
True except it is the Retinol form of vitamin A that causes problems. Beta carotene is converted into vitamin A when the body needs it. Excess will only result in an orange skin color.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
And you REALLY have to work at it to overdose on vitamins. Like "ooops! I just swallowed 100 capsules of vitamin A for 10 days straight" kind of work.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to take 2-3 grams of Vit C daily.(more with a cold) and Now i only take about 1,000 mgs including my multivitiman. I read from Vince Gironda that dose for a daily C and in the range of 1500 mgs Vit C removes excess water.

Thsat fdoesnt mean I wont dose high for a couple days than go back to my normal dose.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
True except it is the Retinol form of vitamin A that causes problems. Beta carotene is converted into vitamin A when the body needs it. Excess will only result in an orange skin color.
Don't say that. I'm starting isotretinoin next week!:frustrate:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't say that. I'm starting isotretinoin next week!:frustrate:
If I remember correctly, Accutane contains a derivative of Retinoic Acid which would not make you turn a Garfieldesh color since it's not a photosynthetic pigment like beta carotene.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Nope, no orange color just stress to the liver, disruption of serum lipids and potential for massive depression. But hey, it works. lol

abragers

Awards
Funny thing about Readers Digest is that in 6 months they'll have an article like "Vitamin C - the new miracle vitamin".

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
Yeah the retinoid form doesn't turn you orange. You turn orange from excess beta carotene. Didn't mean to scare you :p