2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

C Is for Colds
    Even if a vitamin does no harm, it may do, well, nothing. Take the ever popular myth that popping vitamin C will stave off colds. A review of 30 studies involving more than 11,000 people who took at least 200 mg of vitamin C daily found that it offered little protection in reducing the length or severity of common colds for most people. It did work for some people, such as marathon runners and skiers, who undergo periods of high stress, but the study’s authors say the rest of us shouldn’t bother taking it.

That was the problem right there. I didn;t read the whole thing but that caught my eye.
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by UNCfan1;
    C Is for Colds
    Even if a vitamin does no harm, it may do, well, nothing. Take the ever popular myth that popping vitamin C will stave off colds. A review of 30 studies involving more than 11,000 people who took at least 200 mg of vitamin C daily found that it offered little protection in reducing the length or severity of common colds for most people. It did work for some people, such as marathon runners and skiers, who undergo periods of high stress, but the study’s authors say the rest of us shouldn’t bother taking it.

That was the problem right there. I didn;t read the whole thing but that caught my eye.
    In most cases, the problem is that Vitamin C is dramatically underdosed. If at least 2000mg were used instead of at least 200mg, the outcome would have been significantly different. Therapeutic doses of Vitamin C can start from 6000mg per day. There are even cases of practitioners administering their patients 30000mg or more daily for certain therapies. For daily maintenance purposes, though, one could take 1000mg to 3000mg daily. 200mg per day is like pissing in the ocean! Waste of time!
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by brass monkey;
    I am not sure who sponsored that study. It would not be entirely responsible to seriously argue that multivitamins and minerals do not work. An argument like that would be hard to sustain. Besides, respected orthomolecular researchers have long advised against overdosing Vitamins A (Beta Carotene), E, Selenium, Folic Acid, Iron, Zinc, and Niacin. So that was no new insight!
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

200 mg of Vitamin C is like taking nothing.

Reader's Digest is to legitimate science reporting as Garfield comics are to the study of cat biology.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.08%

Yeah, I remember reading that article. And I thought about how we as bodybuilders run so many nutrients through our bodies, and break our bodies down so much every day that it would only make sense that we should get a higher dosage of vitamins per day to compensate. I've noticed a lot of articles like this one where they claim that something is not beneficial and a waste of time and yada yada yada. I've also learned to not believe everything in magazines because I remember in high school I read some article in ESPN about how terrible steroids are and they cause side effects in everyone and depression and theres no real responsible way to cycle and all this other stuff. Well, how many people are there that show that there are responsible ways to use these compounds? So even this should tip off an alarm in our heads saying "maybe they don't quite know what they're talking about". Sorry, kinda went on a rant there.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.76%

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    I am not sure who sponsored that study. It would not be entirely responsible to seriously argue that multivitamins and minerals do not work. An argument like that would be hard to sustain. Besides, respected orthomolecular researchers have long advised against overdosing Vitamins A (Beta Carotene), E, Selenium, Folic Acid, Iron, Zinc, and Niacin. So that was no new insight!
    True except it is the Retinol form of vitamin A that causes problems. Beta carotene is converted into vitamin A when the body needs it. Excess will only result in an orange skin color.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%

And you REALLY have to work at it to overdose on vitamins. Like "ooops! I just swallowed 100 capsules of vitamin A for 10 days straight" kind of work.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I used to take 2-3 grams of Vit C daily.(more with a cold) and Now i only take about 1,000 mgs including my multivitiman. I read from Vince Gironda that dose for a daily C and in the range of 1500 mgs Vit C removes excess water.

Thsat fdoesnt mean I wont dose high for a couple days than go back to my normal dose.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.67%

Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    True except it is the Retinol form of vitamin A that causes problems. Beta carotene is converted into vitamin A when the body needs it. Excess will only result in an orange skin color.
    Don't say that. I'm starting isotretinoin next week!:
  11. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%

Quote Originally Posted by bassgirl View Post
    Don't say that. I'm starting isotretinoin next week!:
    If I remember correctly, Accutane contains a derivative of Retinoic Acid which would not make you turn a Garfieldesh color since it's not a photosynthetic pigment like beta carotene.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%

Nope, no orange color just stress to the liver, disruption of serum lipids and potential for massive depression. But hey, it works. lol
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.83%

Funny thing about Readers Digest is that in 6 months they'll have an article like "Vitamin C - the new miracle vitamin".
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.76%

Yeah the retinoid form doesn't turn you orange. You turn orange from excess beta carotene. Didn't mean to scare you

Similar Forum Threads

1. Interesting RYR Article about Effectiveness
    By MashedPotato in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM
  2. Interesting Article about Coffee on MSN today.
    By AnonyMoose in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
  3. A Good Heath Article About Hormone Levels
    By SoMdHunter in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
  4. ESPN Article about Retired Players and GH/TRT
    By jmh80 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 02:27 PM
  5. contreversial article about protein