Tyrosine and 5HTP

  1. Tyrosine and 5HTP


    i plan on taking tyrosine during the day for dopamine production..and 5htp at night for serotonin production
    anyone have experience using both
    ?


  2. I am not a huge fan of 5-HTP WITHOUT supplementing with tyrosine....a balance tipped towards serotonin for me is bad news.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  3. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I am not a huge fan of 5-HTP WITHOUT supplementing with tyrosine....a balance tipped towards serotonin for me is bad news.
    sounds good thanks
    its just that i had adrenal fatigue from stims and it was evident that my serotonin levels were low so i started taking 5htp and noticed a big difference. but now i feel like i need something to raise dopamine and norepinephrine levels. and i took some tyrosine and it feels like the balance between the two is just perfect.
    Does anyone use tyrosine as a caffeine substitute (no adrenal fatigue) ?
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by gotDOMS View Post
    sounds good thanks
    its just that i had adrenal fatigue from stims and it was evident that my serotonin levels were low so i started taking 5htp and noticed a big difference. but now i feel like i need something to raise dopamine and norepinephrine levels. and i took some tyrosine and it feels like the balance between the two is just perfect.
    Does anyone use tyrosine as a caffeine substitute (no adrenal fatigue) ?
    Tyrosine will "wake you up" differently than caffeine...more of a health motivation.

    You might also want to look into the Tea-GCG capsules (high EGCG Green tea) which will inhibit the breakdown of norepi.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  5. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    You might also want to look into the Tea-GCG capsules (high EGCG Green tea) which will inhibit the breakdown of norepi.
    This is because EGCG is a COMT inhibitor, right?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by rpen22 View Post
    This is because EGCG is a COMT inhibitor, right?
    Correct.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  7. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Tyrosine will "wake you up" differently than caffeine...more of a health motivation.

    You might also want to look into the Tea-GCG capsules (high EGCG Green tea) which will inhibit the breakdown of norepi.
    thanks im a big fan of np and have tried many of your bulk powders already.
    what do you mean by "more of a health motivation"?
    how does it feel different than something that inhibits the breakdown of norepinephrine?
  8. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    I'm not Matt, but I do believe he is suggesting that caffeine is a stimulant where as the tyrosine is a precursor to epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine, and thyroxine which are natural occurring chemicals in our bodies/brain chemistry.

    A COMT (EGCG) inhibits the breakdown of this natural chemistry.

    So theoretically your have a "healthy motivation" as opposed to a stimulant induced motivation.

  9. thanks for the reminder: time to cap up more tyrosine....

  10. Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    I'm not Matt, but I do believe he is suggesting that caffeine is a stimulant where as the tyrosine is a precursor to epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine, and thyroxine which are natural occurring chemicals in our bodies/brain chemistry.

    A COMT (EGCG) inhibits the breakdown of this natural chemistry.

    So theoretically your have a "healthy motivation" as opposed to a stimulant induced motivation.
    Exactly...thanks Brian.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  11. So supplementing 5htp at night is fine, if Tyrosine is taken in the following morning then? To prevent the imbalance of serotonin level.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I am not a huge fan of 5-HTP WITHOUT supplementing with tyrosine....a balance tipped towards serotonin for me is bad news.
    Interesting. I've always enjoyed serotonin, myself. But I've also been plagued with sleep issues since I was 18, so that could have something to do with it. I've always wanted to create the most badass anabolic sleep supplement. Alas, it seems like such a small market. Someday, maybe.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitatis View Post
    Interesting. I've always enjoyed serotonin, myself. But I've also been plagued with sleep issues since I was 18, so that could have something to do with it. I've always wanted to create the most badass anabolic sleep supplement. Alas, it seems like such a small market. Someday, maybe.
    Not so small as you might think. Insomnia (which I also have very badly) is heading into problem territory for MANY people, especially in this country.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  14. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Not so small as you might think. Insomnia (which I also have very badly) is heading into problem territory for MANY people, especially in this country.
    True. But "anabolic sleep" is a bit different target audience than "sleep well" is, if you catch my drift.

    I actually think part of the problem is computer monitors. It's hard to get around it, but those hours spent with monitor light streaming right into your eyes can mess a person up. Lack of natural light and overabundance of artificial light screws with the circadian rhythm

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitatis View Post
    True. But "anabolic sleep" is a bit different target audience than "sleep well" is, if you catch my drift.

    I actually think part of the problem is computer monitors. It's hard to get around it, but those hours spent with monitor light streaming right into your eyes can mess a person up.
    Don't blame the monitor for your porn addiction.

    I do catch your drift, but then again deep healthy sleep is required for recovery, so that anything that encourages this, even without the "extras" would sell well. The rest is just a huge added benefit.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

  16. how does tyrosine compare to products like l-dopa and 1-c?

  17. Ok... So After experimenting with 5htp and Tyrosine separately I have come to the conclusion that the best way to go (at least imo) is to use the two together. 1,000 mgs Tyrosine first thing when I wake up on an empty stomach, and again mid-day (preferably on an empty stomach). I take 100 mgs of the 5htp about an hour before bed.
    In my experience, taking either product exclusively eventually shifts your Dopamine/Serotonin emphasis too far either way and you start experiencing side effects (5htp alone: leaves me tired and spacey, Tyrosine alone: Can't sleep well at night and leaves me a little anti-social. Also, I've read a lot about the supposed effect of tyrosine diminishing over time, I believe this is due in part that increased tyrosine consumption rapidly decreases serotonin. As soon as I added the 5htp at night I once again experienced the high-energy/high-focus "buzz" from the Tyrosine during the day. The idea (In my understanding) is to nurture an appropriate balance of the two, being that Serotonin/Dopamine are the most important neurotransmitters when it comes to mood/well being/energy levels. Therefore, boosting your levels of both at the same time seems the only appropriate path.
    Also, has anyone else experienced slower recovery time, and general stiffness when supplementing with 5htp alone (100 mgs 3x per day)?

  18. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Not so small as you might think. Insomnia (which I also have very badly) is heading into problem territory for MANY people, especially in this country.
    for sure im one of them waiting for an RPN sleep bomb
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE

  19. EGCG interesting 'cause it would need to get into the brain to be effective. Then again caffeine does.

    It inhibits dopamine decarboxylase in the blood stream.

    Combine tyrosine with phenylalanine for added effect. You're bang on its a classic adrenal fatigue set up. For my next stim-free cycle I'll try varying dose of tyrosine from 2g increasing to 5g.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I am not a huge fan of 5-HTP WITHOUT supplementing with tyrosine....a balance tipped towards serotonin for me is bad news.
    i know this is an old post but what ratio would you recomend

  21. Quote Originally Posted by giantbrandon View Post
    i know this is an old post but what ratio would you recomend
    I do well with 1,000 mgs Tyrosine first thing in the morning, 1,000 mgs Tyrosine again in the afternoon and 100 mgs 5htp before bed. Seems to level me out pretty well.

  22. i farked up hard i just brought a 500g tub of tyrosine but i already had one that i got a while ago and never used looks like i have enough for 2g per day for the next few years

  23. 8 grams of Tyrosine, to much for one dose?

  24. Hate to wake the dead.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Dosages for ALCAR, L-Tyrosine, and Arginine
    By fatburner2007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 05:59 AM
  2. L-tyrosine and PEA/Hordenine
    By vicaversa6922 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 10:19 PM
  3. 5HTP increase cortisol and AMORYN
    By T-Bone in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 01:49 PM
  4. 7-OXO, Guggul, and L-Tyrosine
    By Nullifidian in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
  5. Alcar and L-tyrosine
    By goin_big in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Log in
Log in