How Anabolic is L-Leucine?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How anabolic is L-Leucine? What doses could trigger anabolism?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How anabolic is L-Leucine? What doses could trigger anabolism?
a big mac from mcdonalds is technically anabolic/triggers anabolism.

you are always in 1 of 2 states...catabolism, or anabolism.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Leucine is always awesome. All my protein shakes contain leucine in it.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
one of the most important aminos in the human body as your body doesn't produce it but it's the first amino getting burned up when training. So yeah, definately important.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
The testing for growth with Leucine was done with 7 grams. A rounded tablespoon in your shake with protien and carbs is usually good.

MJ1331

Awards
Leucine belongs to a group of branch chained amino acids along with valine and isoleucine. Leucine is one of the most anabolic amino acids.

Leucine activates the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) cell signaling pathway which positively affects protein synthesis.

when i don't have a lot of money i make sure i have protein, creatine and leucine from NP.

I hope this helps.

If you want , i can post some studies.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucine is an essential amino acid which is needed to carry out many different metabolic reactions from the production of muscle-building hormones, to the building of muscle proteins.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
I take 7 grams before workout and around 14g nearing the end of my workout combined with 80 grams WMS, 4g dicreatine malate, and 2.5g beta alanine.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
My Swell contains 3 grams of leucine. I use a dose pre wo, and one post. Covers this angle :D

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Leucine, is an essential amino acid and activator of mTOR (an important regulator of cell growth) that promotes protein synthesis and suppresses protein catabolism. In addition, there’s some new information showing that leucine affects overall glucose and energy metabolism.

Recently, scientists doubled dietary leucine intake via leucine-containing drinking water in mice with free excess to either a typical ‘mouse’ chow or a high-fat diet (HFD). While it produced no major metabolic effects in chow-fed mice, increasing leucine intake resulted in up to 32% reduction of weight gain and a 25% decrease in adiposity in HFD-fed mice. The reduction of adiposity resulted in part from an increased resting energy expenditure; also, increasing leucine intake also prevented HFD-induced hyperglycemia, which was associated with improved insulin sensitivity. In conclusion, the authors concluded that “increases in dietary leucine intake substantially decrease diet-induced obesity, hyperglycemia, and hypercholesterolemia in mice with ad lib consumption of HFD likely via multiple mechanisms.” 1
Pretty impressive , eh? , on top of that, there is human data showing an ergogenic (i.e. performance-enhancing) effect of leucine. Thirteen (ten female, three male) competitive outrigger canoeists underwent testing before and after 6-week supplementation with either capsulated L-leucine (45 mg/kg.d) [that’s equal to 3.15 grams of leucine for a 154 lb individual] or placebo (corn flour). Testing included anthropometry, 10 second upper body power and work and a row to exhaustion at 70-75% maximal aerobic power where perceived exertion (RPE), heart rate 2 and plasma BCAA and tryptophan concentrations were assessed. What happened in this study? Leucine supplementation resulted in significant increases in plasma leucine and total BCAA concentrations. Upper body power and work significantly increased in both groups after supplementation but power was significantly greater after leucine supplementation compared to the placebo. Rowing time significantly increased and average RPE significantly decreased with leucine supplementation while these variables were unchanged with the placebo. Leucine supplementation had no effect on the plasma tryptophan to BCAA ratio, HR or anthropometric variables.
Six weeks' dietary leucine supplementation significantly improved endurance performance and upper body power in outrigger canoeists.3
As a very amateur outrigger canoeist myself, I can testify to the benefits of leucine.

And although all these examples pertain to sports enhancements, strength and performance, this same theory can be applied to our needs for performance and energy and strength as we age. Maintaining our strength and energy as we age is vital to a healthy quality of life.

So next time you drink your protein shake, throw a bit of leucine in it. A dose in the 1-3 gram range proves to be effective.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
My Swell contains 3 grams of leucine. I use a dose pre wo, and one post. Covers this angle :D
I dose the same way with SWELL...1 serving 15 minutes prior and 1 serving post. :thumbsup:

Workin

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucine

My professor did his research on post-exercise supplementation using Leucine vs Carbs alone, at the University of Arkansas. He got positive results for increased hypertrophy in using Leucine vs just Carbs group around the 14 grams total range, 7 pre, 7 post. It's not to say 14 is the magic number, but that's the range "HIS" study used. I only use Leucine pre and especially post exercise to increase the release of insulin. There are lots of studies on Leucine's relation to muscle hypertrophy going on at the University level, which is a good thing. Not biased private doctors of big product companies.

I add free floating Leucine along with my protein shake. I'm not so concerned about L-Valine or L-Isoleucine, science has indicated Leucine as the driver to improving hypertrophy.

Awards
What does bulk L-Leucine taste like??

Can it be mixed with Bulk Alanine?

Are there any other pill forms besides for Muscletech's Leukic?

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established

Can it be mixed with Bulk Alanine?

Are there any other pill forms besides for Muscletech's Leukic?
1. dont take muscletech products always cheaper alternatives
2. bulk alanine tastes one sec about to put it on my tongue (NO TASTE !!!!)
3. lleucine tastes like one second testing in progresss :) (almost nothing alittle chalky)

with water i dont think either product has any taste !

Awards
I don't plan on buying Mucletech!! Don't worry about that. That is why I am curious as to other brands that make Leucine in pill form. I am not against powder, sometimes the convenience of the pill is worthwhile.

So, are there any other pills of Leucine, just curious??

I have bulk aminos now and happy with them but am curious about the pill form of Leucine.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
I don't plan on buying Mucletech!! Don't worry about that. That is why I am curious as to other brands that make Leucine in pill form. I am not against powder, sometimes the convenience of the pill is worthwhile.

So, are there any other pills of Leucine, just curious??

I have bulk aminos now and happy with them but am curious about the pill form of Leucine.
from the bulk powder i have leucine looks hard to cap, i got a kilo of it and i wouldnt wanna cap it, has almost no taste

and i cant think of any leucine pills offhand but there are bcaa pills

Awards
NYCYSTE: Thanks for your input. What is your dosing schedule?? What have you seen since Leucine dosing?? Interested in your feedback as I am on cut/recomp. I just lost 22 lbs and looking to lose more and retain muscle.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The worst part about bulk Leucine(well all Leucine, for that matter) is that it tends to float at the top of the liquid and it's very hard to get into solution unless you shake it up and let it sit for a while.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The worst part about bulk Leucine(well all Leucine, for that matter) is that it tends to float at the top of the liquid and it's very hard to get into solution unless you shake it up and let it sit for a while.
Change the pH so that the water you're dissolving in is no longer neutral.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
NYCYSTE: Thanks for your input. What is your dosing schedule?? What have you seen since Leucine dosing?? Interested in your feedback as I am on cut/recomp. I just lost 22 lbs and looking to lose more and retain muscle.
i dont have any set in science method yet

i just add it to all my shakes, sometimes when im having icetea ill just add a scoop of xtend and leucine or something

just make it simple

note to all

i put leucine + taurine in water, doesnt taste good at all, not like bad bad just makes it taste yucky put 2 sugar packets in it didnt help at all lol

soo future ref add a flavored drink or flavred bcaa product etc

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
So are we supposed to use L-Leucine instead of BCAA's now? I usually get around 15g of BCAA which should be about 7g of Leucine. Maybe I'll just switch to bulk Leucine and take 10g of that instead.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
So are we supposed to use L-Leucine instead of BCAA's now? I usually get around 15g of BCAA which should be about 7g of Leucine. Maybe I'll just switch to bulk Leucine and take 10g of that instead.
you people really need to just combine them god lol

1-3 servings of your fav bcaa product

then 1 scoop leucine

thats all that would give ya your best bang for buck

do both its sooo cheap

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucine is very inexpensive and it is one of the best bargains in the supplement biz. Bulking, cutting, recomping-it is always a great idea to add extra Leucine.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting, I never thought about that. What would be the best/easiest way to take care of that?
Add about 6 drops of lemon juice, or lime and that's all it takes for me. I usually do the leucine first with a bit of water + the drops if I want the best solvation.

Another option (better IMO!) is to add some raw cocoa powder. It is naturally acidic, tastes awesome in a chocolate shake and is loaded with antioxidants!

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Oh please. The benefits of Leucine are prolonged in addition of the other BCAA's. There must have been a study someone dug up on Leucine to cause all this newfound hype.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Layne Norton's done a lot of research on Leucine and he says it's the main amino acid that's resonsible for increasing protein synthesis, which is part of the reason why everybody's focusing a lot on Leucine nowadays.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Layne Norton's done a lot of research on Leucine and he says it's the main amino acid that's resonsible for increasing protein synthesis, which is part of the reason why everybody's focusing a lot on Leucine nowadays.
I don't disagree, but that doesn't mean the BCAA's are not synergistic. Now, if you can't afford BCAA's then yes, Leucine will work great on it's own, but that much better with the other two.

I read other research articles articulating such. If I remember I will look them up and post them.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
yes, but leucine works synergistically alongside isoleucine and valine. while it may be the most anabolic BCAA it won't function properly unless your body has all three. hence why it's generally better to mix bulk BCAAs and Leucine together.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I believe if you're eating a high protein diet, you should be getting a good amount of Isoleucine and Valine already.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
yes, but leucine works synergistically alongside isoleucine and valine. while it may be the most anabolic BCAA it won't function properly unless your body has all three. hence why it's generally better to mix bulk BCAAs and Leucine together.
In addition, the extend the anabolism Leucine creates.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I believe if you're eating a high protein diet, you should be getting a good amount of Isoleucine and Valine already.
true, but bulk BCAAs are still useful in other ways. if you're on a cutter specifically, or even a recomp diet for that matter, whereby you're cutting calories you could easily replace a few cals from protein with an equal amount of BCAAs.

BCAAs are also efficient to drink halfway throughout the night if you should wake up, rather than protein which isn't anti-catabolic and would yield you additional calories.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
FYI, BCAA's have calories. It is approximately 5kcal/g

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not disagreeing with the use of BCAAs in any way, I was just pointing out why many people are focusing on Leucine, since it's the most involved with increasing protein synthesis.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes, I have heard the same argument for all BCAA's.
Exactly. Beebab was just making it sound like you're going to have ALL Leucine and none of the other BCAAs in your diet if you only supplement with Leucine.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
FYI, BCAA's have calories. It is approximately 5kcal/g
Why is it that AA's would have a higher kcal/g amount than protein? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wasn't actively aware of this.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
1 kcal = 1000 calories(small calories) = 1 Calorie(large calories).

When people count calories, it's usually in large(uppercase) Calories aka kilocalories.