MEGA dose Resveratrol?

steve777

Awards
Anyone had any experience with mega dosing resveratrol? I am talking 20mg/kg bodyweight as per the rat experiment done in Spain which lead to increase sperm count and test levels. (PMID: 15795430).

That would be about 2grams per day for a healthy 200lb bodybuilder. I read plenty of posts where people have taken up to 1/2 gram. But nothing close to dosages in the experiment. My question: Anyone know if the rat experiment is replicable in humans?

blind12

blind12

Awards
My question: Anyone know if the rat experiment is replicable in humans?
Not even remotely. Bioavailability in rats is much higher, in humans almost nothing gets past the liver into the general bloodstream. On the other hand, rat's metabolism is much quicker, so they do need higher dosage per weight. Not sure if these effects even each other out somewhat. High doses are dangerous in case of problems - infarction size is increased in a heart attack, so I would stay on the safe side:

(The FASEB Journal. 2007;21:114.5)
© 2007 FASEB This Article

Resveratrol, a Polyphenolic Antioxidant in Red Wine, is Dose-Dependent in Delivering Cardioprotection
Jocelyn Imi Dudley1 and Dipak K Das2
1 Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 263 Farmington Ave. L1086, Farmington, CT, 06030-1110,
2 Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 263 Farmington Ave. L1071, Farmington, CT, 06030-1110

ABSTRACT

Recent studies have demonstrated cardioprotective abilities of resveratrol, a polyphenolic antioxidant present in red wine. Resveratrol can also kill cancer cells by exerting a death signal. We reasoned that resveratrol might possess the ability to protect the cells at lower dose as observed during preconditioning of the heart, while at higher dose, it causes cell death as found for cancer cells. The results demonstrated a reduction of PARP-1, Bcl-2 and Ref-1 in both the hearts of I/R and the animals fed high dose of resveratrol, while Akt expression remained unchanged. In contrast, low dose of resveratrol increased the expression of both Ref-1 and Bcl-2 proteins. The proapoptotic protein p53 and p-Bad was increased in the hearts subjected to I/R and further increased for the animals fed high dose of resveratrol while decreased in the hearts of the animals fed low dose of resveratrol. The infarction size increased in the rats that were given the high dose treatment compared to low dose. The results, thus, indicate that at low dose [25 mg/ kg], resveratrol exerts survival signal by upregulating anti-apoptotic and redox protein PARP-1, Bcl-2 and Ref-1 and down regulating proapoptotic p53 and p-Bad proteins. At high dose [100 mg/kg], it exerts death signal by producing the opposite effects. The infarct estimation studies show that high dose resveratrol does not protect the heart, but severely damages the heart tissue.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know if the rat experiment is replicable in humans?
Well, it sounds like you're replicating it....but I'd use some caution. Google the Sirt1 gene and you'll find a few articles saying that the researches who did the Harvard study were mega-dosing themselves. I'd lower my dose to whatever they're taking (I can't remember) on the assumption that they've made some reasonably informed effort to balance the benefits and risks.

steve777

Awards
Not even remotely. Bioavailability in rats is much higher, in humans almost nothing gets past the liver into the general bloodstream. On the other hand, rat's metabolism is much quicker, so they do need higher dosage per weight. Not sure if these effects even each other out somewhat. High doses are dangerous in case of problems - infarction size is increased in a heart attack, so I would stay on the safe side:
The "low" dosage in this study (25mg/kg) which indicated benefit was an even higher dose than that of the rat study cited (20mg/kg). Interesting the study did indicate problems at a dose of 100mg/kg.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'm doing 2g active (4g of 50%) a day, with 1g quercetin a day with it. feels good. not too much different than at 1g a day, a little bit higher libido. only been about a week at that. Was at 1g/day for the last month or so, noticeable sexual improvement

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been taking around 1g/day of 50% for 3 months. I haven't seen the appetite suppression that many have reported. Definitely got a "sense of well being" from it, but I'm used to that effect now. At that dose, it doesn't seem to be active as an AI IMO.

I will say, without a doubt, that I have not been growing nearly as many new gray hairs. The hair on the sides of my head, above my ears, used to have dozens of gray hairs. I keep my hair fairly short (.5-1"), so the lack of new gray hairs is more apparent over 3 months. I was not looking for this - only noticed it after reading reports from others. Personally, I don't really care about that, but it is an odd side effect. I'm taking it for the overall health benefits.

Check out the ImmInst.org supp forums for plenty of resv info.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Anyone noticed an affect on acne. Higher test should qual more acne, but I've heard this has other properties that can fight acne.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
resveratrol is terribly soluble in water. however, it is extremely soluble in ethanol, or ethyl alcohol.

what i do is pour some 90 proof peppermint schnapps into a cup, open up 2 of my t rez caps, and 1 cap of red wine extract ( for the full spectrum grape, including seed and skin) stir it around until all is dissolved and drink that.

im only on day 3 or 4, so i really havent had much time to gauge its effects.