5 HTP and your Neurotransmitters...

gotDOMS

im aware of 3 major NTs: dopamine, serotonin, and nepinephrine...
i was having mood swings, anxiety, adrenal fatigue and other symptoms so i decided to try 5 HTP...
can someone tell me more about this product?
i read somewhere that if you increase your serotonin levels then your dopamine and other neurotransmitters suffer and become lower. Then i heard that taking 5 HTP is good because it creates more serotonin, which converts to dopamine, and then melatonin as the day progresses. Ive only been taking it for a couple of days, but i feel a lot better already...i just hope my dopamine doesnt suffer in the long run...
Can someone clear this up for me?

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
From what I understand, serotonin does not convert to dopamine or have any adverse affect on its levels. Some of it will however convert to melatonin which is a good thing.

I take 5-htp from time to time and also enjoy its benefits. My dosage varied from 100mg to 200mg daily. My only advice is to avoid taking it within 1 hour of protein to better aid in it crossing the blood-brain barrier.

gotDOMS

From what I understand, serotonin does not convert to dopamine or have any adverse affect on its levels. Some of it will however convert to melatonin which is a good thing.

I take 5-htp from time to time and also enjoy its benefits. My dosage varied from 100mg to 200mg daily. My only advice is to avoid taking it within 1 hour of protein to better aid in it crossing the blood-brain barrier.

ok thanks for the clarification

i plan on supplementing for both serotonin and dopamine.
So along with my 5 HTP i will take powerfull(1-c) for dopamine
do i take them both durign the evening/night?
or at different times of the day, since they counterbalance eachother?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established

I assume you are not, but I'll ask anyway, just in case. Are you taking any SSRIs (Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, etc.) or benzos (Ativan, Xanax, Valium, etc.)?

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established

I like taking 5-htp in the AM and maybe another dose in the early evening. I hear that powerful should be taken at night, but you may want to get definite confirmation on that.

gotDOMS

I like taking 5-htp in the AM and maybe another dose in the early evening. I hear that powerful should be taken at night, but you may want to get definite confirmation on that.
i keep reading that 5htp should not be taken with l-dopa
why is this?
do i take them at different times of the day, or one week at a time?........
thanks

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
subbed.......i wish i understood this better as well...

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
subbed.......i wish i understood this better as well...
As do i....
GABA+Melatonin FTW! right Trip! haha

Oh yea, take GABA then get the GABA rush and then get your "3rd leg" a look at a girls tonsals...if you catch my drift...:twisted: Feels great...dont know why....sorry if thats a bit personal.:blink:

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
i keep reading that 5htp should not be taken with l-dopa
why is this?
do i take them at different times of the day, or one week at a time?........
thanks

That's a good question. I personally never heard that and have been using 5-htp for years without any problems. Some people use it as a sleep aid which I've also done with good success. However, I prefer melatonin as my sleep aid.

Another thing I've heard is that its not a good idea to take it with B6. Apparently, it will convert the 5-htp into serotonin in the gut, which then doesn't server the purpose of crossing the blood-brain barrier first.

SAMe is also another great supplement if you're looking to increase serotonin levels in the brain. So is idebenone.

Why don't you try taking the 5-htp in the AM and powerful at night before bed. Run that protocol for a couple weeks and see how you like it.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I tried 5-HTP, PEA and a bunch of other nootropics.
But for me the winner is oxiracetam+alpha-gpc+phenibut