5 HTP and your Neurotransmitters...

  1. Registered User
    gotDOMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    134

    Arrow 5 HTP and your Neurotransmitters...


    im aware of 3 major NTs: dopamine, serotonin, and nepinephrine...
    i was having mood swings, anxiety, adrenal fatigue and other symptoms so i decided to try 5 HTP...
    can someone tell me more about this product?
    i read somewhere that if you increase your serotonin levels then your dopamine and other neurotransmitters suffer and become lower. Then i heard that taking 5 HTP is good because it creates more serotonin, which converts to dopamine, and then melatonin as the day progresses. Ive only been taking it for a couple of days, but i feel a lot better already...i just hope my dopamine doesnt suffer in the long run...
    Can someone clear this up for me?

  2. Registered User
    The_Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    549

    From what I understand, serotonin does not convert to dopamine or have any adverse affect on its levels. Some of it will however convert to melatonin which is a good thing.

    I take 5-htp from time to time and also enjoy its benefits. My dosage varied from 100mg to 200mg daily. My only advice is to avoid taking it within 1 hour of protein to better aid in it crossing the blood-brain barrier.
  3. Registered User
    gotDOMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    134

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
    From what I understand, serotonin does not convert to dopamine or have any adverse affect on its levels. Some of it will however convert to melatonin which is a good thing.

    I take 5-htp from time to time and also enjoy its benefits. My dosage varied from 100mg to 200mg daily. My only advice is to avoid taking it within 1 hour of protein to better aid in it crossing the blood-brain barrier.

    ok thanks for the clarification

    i plan on supplementing for both serotonin and dopamine.
    So along with my 5 HTP i will take powerfull(1-c) for dopamine
    do i take them both durign the evening/night?
    or at different times of the day, since they counterbalance eachother?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    KingMeso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    431

    Quote Originally Posted by gotDOMS View Post
    ok thanks for the clarification

    i plan on supplementing for both serotonin and dopamine.
    So along with my 5 HTP i will take powerfull(1-c) for dopamine
    do i take them both durign the evening/night?
    or at different times of the day, since they counterbalance eachother?
    I assume you are not, but I'll ask anyway, just in case. Are you taking any SSRIs (Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, etc.) or benzos (Ativan, Xanax, Valium, etc.)?
  5. Registered User
    The_Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    549

    Quote Originally Posted by gotDOMS View Post
    ok thanks for the clarification

    i plan on supplementing for both serotonin and dopamine.
    So along with my 5 HTP i will take powerfull(1-c) for dopamine
    do i take them both durign the evening/night?
    or at different times of the day, since they counterbalance eachother?
    I like taking 5-htp in the AM and maybe another dose in the early evening. I hear that powerful should be taken at night, but you may want to get definite confirmation on that.
  6. Registered User
    gotDOMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    134

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
    I like taking 5-htp in the AM and maybe another dose in the early evening. I hear that powerful should be taken at night, but you may want to get definite confirmation on that.
    i keep reading that 5htp should not be taken with l-dopa
    why is this?
    do i take them at different times of the day, or one week at a time?........
    thanks
  7. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    TripDog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, Florida
    Posts
    10,084
    Rep Power
    5549

    subbed.......i wish i understood this better as well...
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  8. Registered User
    MentalTwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,516
    Rep Power
    2353

    Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    subbed.......i wish i understood this better as well...
    As do i....
    GABA+Melatonin FTW! right Trip! haha

    Oh yea, take GABA then get the GABA rush and then get your "3rd leg" a look at a girls tonsals...if you catch my drift... Feels great...dont know why....sorry if thats a bit personal.
  9. Registered User
    The_Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    549

    Quote Originally Posted by gotDOMS View Post
    i keep reading that 5htp should not be taken with l-dopa
    why is this?
    do i take them at different times of the day, or one week at a time?........
    thanks

    That's a good question. I personally never heard that and have been using 5-htp for years without any problems. Some people use it as a sleep aid which I've also done with good success. However, I prefer melatonin as my sleep aid.

    Another thing I've heard is that its not a good idea to take it with B6. Apparently, it will convert the 5-htp into serotonin in the gut, which then doesn't server the purpose of crossing the blood-brain barrier first.

    SAMe is also another great supplement if you're looking to increase serotonin levels in the brain. So is idebenone.

    Why don't you try taking the 5-htp in the AM and powerful at night before bed. Run that protocol for a couple weeks and see how you like it.
  10. Registered User
    bombBoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    nyc
    Age
    32
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    417

    I am not sure if this can help much, but it contains some detailed info.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic
  11. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    TripDog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, Florida
    Posts
    10,084
    Rep Power
    5549

    Quote Originally Posted by bombBoogie View Post
    I am not sure if this can help much, but it contains some detailed info.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic
    hell ya!....good find bro!
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  12. Registered User
    bombBoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    nyc
    Age
    32
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    417

    Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    hell ya!....good find bro!
    anytime
  13. Registered User
    nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    752

    I tried 5-HTP, PEA and a bunch of other nootropics.
    But for me the winner is oxiracetam+alpha-gpc+phenibut
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. M5AA and your "johnson"
    By PumpingBricks70 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 07:19 AM
  2. PH history and your total gains...
    By -2z- in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 10:25 PM
  3. Steroids and your gut
    By badbart in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 04:06 AM
  4. m1t and your liver
    By weis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 12:37 AM
  5. Prohormones/gear and your friends/family
    By Alt+F4 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in