Alpha Lipoic Acid Nutrient Partitioning Properties?

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
I've read this somewhere on this board that - I think - ALA is supposed tu push more nutrients into muscle (or lean tissue) than into adipose tissue? Is this true?

I tried searching pubmed with the words "Alpha lipoic acid nutrient partitioning" and nothing came up. I'd REALLY, REALLY like to read some research on this to get to the bottom of this intriguing question.

Can someone help? (For some reason, I'm sure a dozen guys here have the full research report under their elbow) ;)

Anyways, thanks.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Go read the Anarchy thread....its all there.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It "pushes" nutrients in both muscle and adipose cells.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Ah. Yes I read the anarchy thread completely. Someone mentioned "nutrient partitioning" and I'm still in the dark as to what that means, exactly. My understanding of that was that ALA was insulin-mimetic but specific to lean tissue. Thanks for clearing that up, Bobo.

Windwords7, did you get my PM?

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Nutrient repartitioning is when more nutrients go to the muscle cells than adipose cells.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
It "pushes" nutrients in both muscle and adipose cells.
hi all, first post here. done a lot of searching & reading & found some real good info & threads. :)

Bobo, are nutrients pushed into the adipose cells once muscle cells are full or are you saying they DON'T have a preferance?

would this also depend on individual body types or it just does this with everyone?

Jag

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Truthfully, nobody has a clue of what exactly happens, just specualtion. Its just known that GLUT 4 receptors are increased in both muscle and adipose cells. ALA does not have some magical property that chooses where nutrients are being shuttled. It might help in glycogen uptake and reports (increased pumps) say that it does, but it can also help with that tire around your waist as some reports state. It still comes down to diet whether you gain or lose weight. There ared many factors that can going into it such as body types, insulin resistance or sensistivity, diet, etc....

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Good info, Bobo.

It would seem from this, that ALA's ability to increase fat loss is tied to a reduction of insulinemia, which tends to "lock-up" energy into the adipocytes. Correct?

It would also seem to me that if one has less insulin release because the ALA is shuttling CHOs to cells and thus insulin response to carbs is reduced, then that *MAYBE* amino acids are pushed into cells to a lesser degree also, because insulin also does that. Insulin is one of the most anabolic hormones in the body. Correct?

One way to guesstimate if this is happening or not would be to check if pure strength gains / workout recovery are slowed down by taking ALA. Right?

Seems to me that ALA will be helpful when I do a Ketogenic, to get back into ketosis after my carb-up, and also during any period where I do lots of aerobics, especially after having eaten.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Truthfully, nobody has a clue of what exactly happens, just specualtion.
I think you might like Layne Norton's upcoming article/study on ALA. He has come up with a very interesting hypothesis that looks very solid scientifically from my view point. I am helping him edit it, but i won't leak any information to you guys yet (sorry) because he wants to keep it under wraps until the whole thing is completed.

Yes, more speculation, but this is VERY believable speculation. :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always like a good theory :D

BMZ

Awards
yeah this is correct, it helps your body utilize carbs better and store less as fat......
example...

without ALA 40% of carbs to muscle, 60% stored as fat...
with ALA 60% carbs to muscle, 40% stored.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by BMZ
yeah this is correct, it helps your body utilize carbs better and store less as fat......
example...

Where did you get these numbers?

nsruffryder34

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think he was just using that as an example, It really would vary from person to person. The numbers from what I have seen, arnt that drastic, but they do look good. ALA, in a synergistic formula would work pretty good, it just depends on the amount, usually alot is needed for any noticable effect to take place. This is the major drawback to having this in any product, its just too hard to get enough in one serving size.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
example...

Not true. If your bulking and in caloric excess the majority of the time it increases GLUT 4 receptors in both muscle AND fat cells so in essence, it could make you store more fat since there is only a limited amount of glycogen your muscles can store. It has absolutely no magic property that determines where the glucose will go. Nobody even knows where it goes although the pump gives an idication that muscle glycogen is one of the areas of uptake. Other tissues and organs can easily be doing the same thing.

Once again its your diet that makes you gain or lose weight. R-LA can help with glucose dispersal during times of caloric deficit keeping insulin levels stable. Since there is not a calorie surplus the increase in fat storage is minimal or practically non-existent even though it is still an ongoing process even during times of a caloric deficit. Also since you are particiapting in resistance training, muscle glycogen uptake could be increased as well so thats another benefit during times of a deficit.

Stating that a % of glucose is being used for this and that is not accurate. Nobody knows where its all going.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Sheesh, can you give us an update on this article?

Geez this is an old thread!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Anecdotally I believe its definitely going into both muscle and adipose tissue. Using glucophase while bulking has rapidly diminished abdominal definition in just a week or so. I've yet to use it for cutting.

I still view it as a good supp for its potent antioxidant properties though.