Caffeine increases ESTROGEN

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Dr. D has stated that Caffeine consumption in males may increase estrogen. Not sure if this is only related to amounts over 500mg/day though. Article below was taken from Mercola.com

Coffee Increases Estrogen in Women

Drinking more than two cups of coffee daily may boost estrogen levels in women and could worsen conditions such as endometriosis and breast pain.

According to the researchers, women who drank the most coffee had higher levels of estradiol, a naturally occurring form of estrogen, during the early follicular phase, or days 1 to 5 of the menstrual cycle.

Higher estrogen levels would not be beneficial for women who for example have endometriosis, breast pain and family histories of breast or ovarian cancer, especially arising premenopausally.

The study included nearly 500 women aged 36 to 45 who were not pregnant, breast-feeding or taking hormones. All women answered questions about their diets, smoking habits, height and weight. Researchers measured the women's hormone levels during days 1 to 5 of their menstrual cycle.

Women who consumed more than one cup of coffee a day had significantly higher levels of estrogen during the early follicular phase of their menstrual cycle.

Caffeine intake from all sources was linked with higher estrogen levels regardless of age, body mass index (BMI), caloric intake, smoking, and alcohol and cholesterol intake.

Women who consumed at least 500 milligrams of caffeine daily, the equivalent of four or five cups of coffee, had nearly 70% more estrogen during the early follicular phase than women consuming no more than 100 mg of caffeine daily, or less than one cup of coffee.

This study provides a basis for believing that coffee consumption increases estradiol levels. While these effects are modest with one or two cups, they are more evident at higher levels of consumption.

Fertility and Sterility October 2001;76:723-729

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Caffeine is the most widely used drug in the world. While I believe that coffee and caffeine are far less dangerous than fruit juice or soda, it is still wise to limit, and if possible, eliminate its use.

This is becoming increasingly clear for women, as coffee should NEVER be consumed during pregnancy. It also appears that coffee consumption is associated with increased estrogen levels, which means an increase for breast and endometrial cancer.

Coffee has been previously associated with increased risk of stroke and rheumatoid arthritis.

One can use a product called Water Joe that is basically bottled water with caffeine added to help you wean off of the coffee. If you stop coffee cold turkey you will likely develop a severe headache from going through caffeine withdrawal.

If you simply MUST drink coffee here are a few tips to help reduce the chances of harmful effects:

Use organic coffee - Coffee is a heavily sprayed crop, so drinking organic coffee might reduce or eliminate the exposure to toxic herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers. The only drawback is that the countries where coffee is produced probably have less control and monitoring for compliance to organic practices. You will also be helping to protect the health of the people working in the coffee fields, as you will be helping to reduce their toxic exposure as well.

"Swiss Water Process" decaf - If you are going to drink decaffeinated coffee, be sure that it is one that uses a non-chemical based method of decaffeination. The "Swiss Water Process" is a patented method and is the best choice. Most of the major brands are chemically decaffeinated, even if it says "Naturally Decaffeinated" right on the container. If you are unsure of the methods, contact the manufacturer.
Avoid sugar and/or milk - These are actually much worse for you than the coffee itself. Don't compound the detrimental health effects by adding milk or sugar to your coffee.

Unbleached filters - If you use a "drip" coffee maker, be sure to use non-bleached filters. The bright white ones, which most people use, are chlorine bleached and some of this chlorine will be extracted from the filter during the brewing process.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you a woman?

There's a lot of misinformation in there.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
So we can't drink coffee, tea, milk, fruit juice, or soda? Or anything with alcohol or soy? What does this leave (besides water)?

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
estrogen is like the cancer of the bodybuilding world. Everything causes it, and it's all bad.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Even if it does I'm still going to drink coffee daily all winter long. I love coffee.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how many pre-workout stim products have more than a couple hundred mg of caffeine alone... most

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
No biggie. I'll just have my Starbucks add a shot of letro instead of espresso in my coffee. ;)

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I always wondered why I had the urge to get my hair and nails done after taking my favorite stim product....

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I always wondered why I had the urge to get my hair and nails done after taking my favorite stim product....
I've been watching more Oprah than normal after drinking 6 cups of coffee every day for the last 2 years.

easymac

easymac

Awards
Dam, i cant even drink my coffee now? Any studies done on men?

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
theres another study that shows masturbation also raises estrogen, so you can't do that anymore either
With all these estrogen causing habits, by all theory I should be growing vaginas left right and center.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look, caffeine is one of the most proven natural performance enhancing substances known to man. It prevents parkinsons and IIRC Alzheimers. It aids in fat burning. Increases alertness and ability to learn and retain info. I wouldn't cut out the coffee based on one study of a few women. Oh, BTW, wheat flour is estrogenic, too. ;)

As far as the 'Swiss WAter Process'...it sucks. Yes, it's chemical free, but so are the other methods when they reach your cup, the only difference being the swiss water tastes the worst.

<<<poison has his own coffee roasting company. He lives, breathes, and eats coffee.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Let's be realistic here. Your chances of getting gyno by consuming caffeine are smaller then my chances of banging Jessica Beil while she's still hot.

Furthermore, Dr. Mercola likes to use scare tactics and hype. He then pimps organic coffee as a substitute ? Correct me if I'm wrong but caffeine is caffeine whether or not it comes from an organic source. Might as well promote organic crack as a new alternative to dirty, homemade crack.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
mmmmmmmm, coffee

I have not had a cup since Monday (the day before surgery) I tried to drink some this morning, but hospital coffee sucks! I'm making some of my favorite in the morning - KONA!

mmmmmmmm, estrogen

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
mmmmmmmm, coffee

I have not had a cup since Monday (the day before surgery) I tried to drink some this morning, but hospital coffee sucks! I'm making some of my favorite in the morning - KONA!

mmmmmmmm, estrogen
You should check out the kona from here:
West Coast Roasting

Good stuff!!

*sneeze*

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Correct me if I'm wrong but caffeine is caffeine whether or not it comes from an organic source. Might as well promote organic crack as a new alternative to dirty, homemade crack.
LMFAO

There is a certain dominant religion where I live. They absolutely abhor coffee. You'd think I was drinking a cup of the devils piss.

However, Coca Cola is just fine, since there is a stake in a bottling company owned by said dominant religion.

But I think the same thing. Caffiene is caffiene. Dog **** is dog **** whether its from a Harlequin Great Dane, or a Maltese.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh, and for the record: cigarette smoking increases testosterone in men. Light up, boys!

;)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
NO! NO!...You will NOT take away my coffee. Never. This study is absurd and stupid and disgusting and vile and I don't want to hear it or read it or believe it. Ban OP!

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards
I'm sure its been discussed before, but why limit caffeine? Thanks a head of time.

It can increase estrogen levels, once you exceed a certain amount like 500mg/d for the average guy, but maybe much less if you're gyno prone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"DR.D" is a fictitious character, obviously. Posts are strictly role playing for entertainment purposes only. No medical advice is suggested or implied so stop asking! I do not use or condone the use of anything illegal, nor do I participation or suggest that you participate in any illegal activities. God bless you and have a great day!

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Masturbation is very unlikely to decrease testosterone levels. Semen is not the source of testosterone, and ejaculation will not cause testosterone levels to go down.

All other things being equal, increased sexual activity -- including masturbation -- tends to increase testosterone levels. But these levels depend upon many factors including age, time of day, overall level of physical activity, and general health. Psychological factors can cause changes in testosterone levels: levels go up in men who believe they are going to become more sexually active, levels can be affected by whether a person knows in advance that he will be test for testosterone, and so forth.

Its too bad that almost everything available nowdays effects estrogen levels in the male body. Wish we could find a food product with phytotestosterones in it. :rofl:

fitnecise

Awards
Falling in love lowers test in men, guess we should all stay single eh?

Chonic high dose caffeine would lower test by wreaking hormone havoc (think cortisol esp ...)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Masturbation is very unlikely to decrease testosterone levels. Semen is not the source of testosterone, and ejaculation will not cause testosterone levels to go down.

All other things being equal, increased sexual activity -- including masturbation -- tends to increase testosterone levels. But these levels depend upon many factors including age, time of day, overall level of physical activity, and general health. Psychological factors can cause changes in testosterone levels: levels go up in men who believe they are going to become more sexually active, levels can be affected by whether a person knows in advance that he will be test for testosterone, and so forth.

Its too bad that almost everything available nowdays effects estrogen levels in the male body. Wish we could find a food product with phytotestosterones in it. :rofl:
it was just a joke :D

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Well Nicotine is a natural AI.

Maybe that's why coffee is so commonly stacked with cigerattes.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
everything is safe as long as it is done in moderation.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is such a dumb post. Like, really, it's pissing me off. I love coffee. I'm drinking it now in fact. Now, because of this thread, it will be in the back of my mind every time I drink coffee. The one thing I thought that bodybuilding could never take away.

I don't care. I'm drinking it anyways. Good thing I'm starting ATD today. It will make me feel better. Now I have to take drugs to counter the effects of my coffee. Sweet.

And the whole "everything is safe in moderation" is not true at all. Be careful with the word "everything." I could agree with, "most things done in moderation are safe."

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've developed a new study for all of us coffee lovers. It's based on absolutely nothing:

"Panhandle Florida- Irish Cannon Unveils Coffee's Potent Anabolic Effect: Through careful studying of the coffee bean, it is easy to see that it is in the shape of a half-oval. What does this mean for you bodybuilding, coffee drinkers? Well, as you should know, the male-human testicle is a full oval. Therefore, consuming lots of beans must be equivalent to drinking tons of testosterone which is produced from the testicles.

A new product is being worked on by the Irish Cannon called, "Bean-me UP!" which is a nutrient rich formula of amino acids, AIs, SERMs and other awesome components to aid in the uptake of all coffee into your bloodstream. It pwns your muscles hardcore, and makes them grow hella good.

Look forward to this groundbreaking new product hitting nowhere, soon!"

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
Why does he think fruit juice is dangerous? Too much frutose?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oooo, I'm roasting coffee right now, this very minute! My vagina is starting to hurt.

:(

:lol:

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Caffeine Lowers Production of DHEA

Coffee and caffeine also decrease levels of the steroid hormone, dehydroepiandrosterone, commonly known as DHEA. DHEA seems to have a protective effect on the body and appears to be involved in defending against the negative effects of aging. Some of the physical and physiological changes of aging are related to the decline of many hormones including DHEA that assist in repair of cells and tissues, enhance cognition and memory, and help maintain the body’s physiological processes.5 Caffeine and coffee negatively impact these complex hormonal systems.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), produced by the adrenal glands, is one of the most abundant steroid hormones in the bloodstream and brain. The exact biological role of DHEA is currently being identified, but one of its functions is that it is a key component in the manufacture of testosterone and estrogen. The presence of DHEA seems to have a protective effect on illnesses related to the aging process, including: cognitive impairment, immunodeficiency, malignancies, osteoporosis, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.6, 7 DHEA stimulates the immune system, 8 inhibits the inflammatory process,10 reduces levels of tumor necrosis factor,10 and is involved in the modulation of memory.11 While the need for supplemental DHEA is currently under debate, it is undisputed that the body’s own endogenous DHEA is vital for overall health.

DHEA starts to appear in the body at around age seven, is of significant concentrations in young adults, peaking between 25 and 30. DHEA subsequently declines as people age; blood levels fall as much as 90% from peak by age 60,12 giving rise to the hypothesis that decreases in DHEA are implicated in the aging process.

An inverse relationship exists between cortisol and DHEA: high levels of stress and elevated cortisol are associated with lower levels of DHEA.13 Both of these steroid hormones are manufactured and secreted by the adrenal glands. It is not known if high cortisol levels directly causes a drop in DHEA release, or if there is a competition for resources for production of the two hormones, but in any case, high levels of stress, caffeine and coffee consumption and increased levels of cortisol are associated with lower levels of DHEA.

NateWA

NateWA

Awards
  • Established
how many pre-workout stim products have more than a couple hundred mg of caffeine alone... most

Yeah no crap! Here I am eatin fat burners like candy before workouts and then Its raising my estrogen...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
low dose long term AI use. Dr. D and I were talking about that as well. I think hyperdrol x2 taken as 1 cap a day probably is enough to cover all the day to day BS phytoestrogens and other crap we regularly take in.

NateWA

NateWA

Awards
  • Established
I heard something about some AI's converting to estrogen. I think they were talking about 6 oxo is this B.S.?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I heard something about some AI's converting to estrogen. I think they were talking about 6 oxo is this B.S.?
AI's reduce estrogen but there could be an estrogen rebound when you go off cycle. My guess is that's probably what they meant but I haven't heard that AI's actually increase estrogen, it beats the purpose of taking them if that's the case.

bmur

Awards
guess im gonna have to take AI's year round =(

( not serious )

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Dr mercola knows his ****:hammer:
He's a smart dude but he likes to spin information and then get you to buy a product so that loses some credibility in my book, just my 2CC's :)

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look, caffeine is one of the most proven natural performance enhancing substances known to man. It prevents parkinsons and IIRC Alzheimers. It aids in fat burning. I decreases chances of Type II diabetes. Increases alertness and ability to learn and retain info. It's the number one source of anti-oxidants in America (bananas are second). I wouldn't cut out the coffee based on one study of a few women. Oh, BTW, wheat flour is estrogenic, too. ;)

As far as the 'Swiss WAter Process'...it sucks. Yes, it's chemical free, but so are the other methods when they reach your cup, the only difference being the swiss water tastes the worst.

<<<poison has his own coffee roasting company. He lives, breathes, and eats coffee.
Dr Mercola is full of **** on this subject.