Pre-workout stim for late night workouts

Boulderer

Boulderer

Awards
My work day starts at 5am, my workouts start at 8pm. From time to time I'm finding myself pretty bagged for my workouts.

Is there any type of short acting pre-workout stim that I could take? The problem with anything I've used in the past (caffeine, ephedra) is that by the time I'm done my workouts, I'm so wired that I can't go to sleep. If I had something that would give me a short boost, say for an hour or so, that would be perfect.

If anyone can suggest anything....

Thanks..

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My work day starts at 5am, my workouts start at 8pm. From time to time I'm finding myself pretty bagged for my workouts.

Is there any type of short acting pre-workout stim that I could take? The problem with anything I've used in the past (caffeine, ephedra) is that by the time I'm done my workouts, I'm so wired that I can't go to sleep. If I had something that would give me a short boost, say for an hour or so, that would be perfect.

Thanks..
Drive from Applied :)

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably not but did you try dosing the caffine/ephedrine 4hrs before the workout instead of right before. I'd try to time it so it runs out right around the time the workout end. Problem is even lifting late at night will probably keep you up. It does me.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
maybe some poseidon?

Boulderer

Boulderer

Awards
From the Drive FAQ:

"Q: When should I take DRIVE?

A: Take the first dose of DRIVE upon waking in the morning, and then take the second dose approximately one hour before your workout, or mid-afternoon. If you train in the evening, do not take within 3 hours of bedtime. If so, reduce your dosage by one capsule."

How long do the effects last? Am I safe to assume that I could take a dose 3-4 hours before my workout time (8pm), have a good workout, then still fall asleep after my workouts?

Drive from Applied :)

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
From the Drive FAQ:

A: Take the first dose of DRIVE upon waking in the morning, and then take the second dose approximately one hour before your workout, or mid-afternoon. If you train in the evening, do not take within 3 hours of bedtime. If so, reduce your dosage by one capsule."

How long do the effects last? Am I safe to assume that I could take a dose 3-4 hours before my workout time (8pm), have a good workout, then still fall asleep after my workouts?
yup drive is not a stim so it should work fine for you. you should see how it works for you. Presale for drive is on nutraplanet right now for 35. past wednesday, it will be 40. get it quick. :afro:

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'd make a cocktail from bulk powders which would include some taurine, ALCAR, citrulline malate, glucoronolactone, and maybe a few other goodies. It's more of a pain, but you can have some fun with the "mad scientist" thing. Plus now that Blackstar flavors are alive and well again, you can really brew your own goodies pretty cheap!

There are some very good prefab items out there too. I agree, though, steer clear of the harsher stims (caffeinne/ephedrine) if they're gonna cut into your rest/sleep. That would be counterproductive to growth...

45Caliber

45Caliber

Awards
cocaine.

kidding of course. What about SuperdrolNG? I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like the guys using it are experiencing a good "boost" from it when they take it pre-workout. I'm not sure how long the effect lasts though. It might be worth looking into.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
IMHO, you could
1) time your stims so that they wear off by the time you sleep.

2) take some stuff to knock you out. 1-C by Genera works great for me. :)

3) Wake up earlier to work out before work.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I workout late sometimes as well and don't want too much stim. Chocamine, some ALCAR or PLCAR and citrulline malate work well for me. I also do BCAA's and Glutamine

also maybe try some melatonin or some gaba or some type of sleep supplement on the nights you work out late

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
well the problem goes beyond stimulant use. working out before you plan on sleeping isnt the greatest idea. it throws off your brain chemistry by getting the adrenaline going and inhibiting GABA production. When this happens, it is difficult to relax and become sleepy.

as for a short acting stim, a good alternative is nicotine gum. the boost will last as long as youre chewing it so it is very easily controlled. and the detrimental health effects are from tobacco, not nicotine from my understanding. its worth a shot IMO.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
I can't attest to the drive though it seems pretty good. Otherwise NO Shotgun seems to do the job for me late nights. It seems to have less than 50mg of cafeine(out of 5 or so ingredients 250mg worth it is last) That or I try to hit some moderate cardio for 10-15 minutes to get my blood flowing and then go at it. Hope that helps.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
if something like drive would still keep u up, u could try some powerfull, gaba, ect. to help u wind down and get to sleep while simultaneously boosting your GH even further as u sleep.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd make a cocktail from bulk powders which would include some taurine, ALCAR, citrulline malate, glucoronolactone, and maybe a few other goodies.
I agree here, but ALCAR can keep your mind working when you are trying to sleep. PLCAR is a body energizer, and works fine even right before bed.

Should be at NP by Wednesday.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
What about SuperdrolNG? I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like the guys using it are experiencing a good "boost" from it when they take it pre-workout. I'm not sure how long the effect lasts though. It might be worth looking into.
SDNG has yohimbine and caffeine, not really what he is looking for,

** ANYTHING else stim based will most likely keep you up, even drive makes me alert so im not sure if i would take it too late at night.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
BLAST from Nimbus may fit the bill, combine it with SWELL, and you'll be good to go I would think. BLAST gives you a quick shot of energy, but I find that it's not super long lasting. I have no problem sleeping around 3 hours after a dose.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established

Thanks..
Welcome to AM! :)

Poseidon would be a good choice for natural energy that will still allow you to fall asleep after your workout. SWELL would be even better. :thumbsup:

Workin

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Welcome indeed. You have arived at the right place!

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
I'm in your boat. I work out at 8:30-9pm. I usually have something with a little caffeine in it. Either toss a few beans in my pre w/o shake or have an energy drink. I doesn't help my sleep that's for sure. But I refuse to take something to help me sleep.

I wouldn't chew nicotine gum. Nicotine is extremely addictive. Kicking smoking was the hardest thing I ever did.

I can't attest to the effectiveness of "Drive." I haven't used it yet! (But I ordered a bottle.)

Boulderer

Boulderer

Awards
Thanks for all the replies & the welcome..

I'm going to give Drive and Posiedon a go and see how each of them works for me. I won't need them every day, just a little boost here and there.

To answer some of the posts here, I know that working out pre-sleep isn't the best, however I find myself exhausted enough after my workout that falling asleep isn't a problem. I'm in the "Single Dad that has to work all day, etc,etc." group, so I really don't have a choice of when I can lift. I really only can get to the gym once a sitter gets here and the little guy has gone to bed.

funny enough.. right after I wrote my initial question about this, I went to the gym and set a new PR for one-arm DB rows (150x5), so I'm still gaining for now and doing ok, despite feeling tired.

Thanks again everybody. Looking forward to being here.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established

I'm going to give Drive and Posiedon a go and see how each of them works for me. I won't need them every day, just a little boost here and there.

To answer some of the posts here, I know that working out pre-sleep isn't the best, however I find myself exhausted enough after my workout that falling asleep isn't a problem. I'm in the "Single Dad that has to work all day, etc,etc." group, so I really don't have a choice of when I can lift. I really only can get to the gym once a sitter gets here and the little guy has gone to bed.

funny enough.. right after I wrote my initial question about this, I went to the gym and set a new PR for one-arm DB rows (150x5), so I'm still gaining for now and doing ok, despite feeling tired.

wow :clap2: best of luck to you.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established

WOW...that's dedication. :clap2:

Sounds like you've got your priorities in order. Let us know how Poseidon and Drive work out for you and keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Workin

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
From the Drive FAQ:

Yes you can dose it that way- the effects last for about 6 hours total- BUT (and this is the kicker), working out in itself stimulates the sympathetic nervous system- so regardless of whether or not you take any type of supplement or stim, you may still stay up for 3-4 hours after working out- simply because of the neural stimulation from lifting.....I can't work out late at night for this very reason.:squat:

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
As stated previously... the best stim for late workouts isn't a stim at all! DRIVE