Supplements for a long hike (all day 17 miles)

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
So I'm going on a hike b/c some of my buddies talked me into it. It is a 17 mile round trip hike that starts at 4000 feet and goes to 8400 feet. I'm not in great cardio shape even though I'm leaner than a lot of them. Anyway, what should I take supplement-wise? Luckily NP hooked me up with Poseidon and Swell samples so that's going in for sure. Anyone else have a lot of experience with long distance and all day events? I have available:

cissus
protein
RPM
Leviathan
Swell samples
Poseidon samples
maltodextrin
dextrose
WMS
BCAA

I'm thinking of getting some gatorades and some water and filling the water with maltodextrin. Should I be taking protein on the hike itself or worry more about carbs and BCAA and eat protein when I get back?

I'm just hoping I don't die :)

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I'll see if I can track some BA down. Anyone have suggestions on when to dose what? Maybe I won't take anything other than gatorade and just tough it out.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Ninja, I'd suggest ditching the full body black cloth outfit.... for some comfortable gear that will protect you from whatever you may encounter (poison ivy, thorns, etc.)

Also, don't get caught up in the supplement game when it comes to your hike.... I'd go with the Poseidon for sure, plenty of fluid and food, some good shoes and socks, a hat or visor, etc.
You're in good enough shape to handle the hike I am sure..... don't stress on the supps.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
poseidon and aminos, plus lots of food and water, can't imagine what else you "need"

maybe some cordyceps?

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I'll see if I can track some BA down. Anyone have suggestions on when to dose what? Maybe I won't take anything other than gatorade and just tough it out.
swell has BA . Its more of a long term supplement though, if you aren't taking it now and for at least a month, I wouldn't worry about it.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Ninja, I'd suggest ditching the full body black cloth outfit.... for some comfortable gear that will protect you from whatever you may encounter (poison ivy, thorns, etc.)

Also, don't get caught up in the supplement game when it comes to your hike.... I'd go with the Poseidon for sure, plenty of fluid and food, some good shoes and socks, a hat or visor, etc.
You're in good enough shape to handle the hike I am sure..... don't stress on the supps.
Ya, I'll probably just take the Poseidon and then take along gatorade and water. I was debating on whether to toss some maltodextrin in the water/gatorade but I think we'll stop enough for granola, fruit, and sandwhiches. It's not like I'm racing to the top.

I'm debating on the cloth outfit. There have been many who have done it before me with the same outfit, the only thing is you never saw them b/c they typically stick to the trees and hiding behind rocks. To avoid confusing everyone and having them wonder where I am all the time I'll probably opt for shorts and a T-shirt. Either that or a speedo.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established

:thumbsup:

this man is smart! I forgot where I read this from but the most important equipment that helped during war were socks. Just protect yourself agianst the environment and bring plenty of water. poseidon would be a great add too :thumbsup:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised no one said Yohimbe or Ephedrine, if not both.

17 miles....ok that's really far just to walk, but to HIKE ?

BTW, My time on running the mile is 10:40 and I'm not afraid to admit it. I hate running.

DMac

DMac

Awards
Ya, I'll probably just take the Poseidon and then take along gatorade and water. I was debating on whether to toss some maltodextrin in the water/gatorade but I think we'll stop enough for granola, fruit, and sandwhiches. It's not like I'm racing to the top.

I'm debating on the cloth outfit. There have been many who have done it before me with the same outfit, the only thing is you never saw them b/c they typically stick to the trees and hiding behind rocks. To avoid confusing everyone and having them wonder where I am all the time I'll probably opt for shorts and a T-shirt. Either that or a speedo.
toss the gatorade and get some emergen-c packets. It has everything that gatorade has -sugar -excess sodium +potassium and other vitamins/minerals.

I drink that stuff in the morning before runs, or during long hikes/ runs, much better than gatorade. And it's only $7.37 for 36 packets.

Ingredients:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 PACKET
Servings Per Container 36 Packets

Amount Per
Serving % Daily
Value

Calories 14 N/A*

Total Fat 0 N/A*

Sodium 60 Mg 2.5%

Total Carbohydrate 3.5 Gm 1.2%

Sugars 3.4 Gm N/A*

Protein 0 Gm N/A*

Vitamin C (As Mineral Ascorbates) 1000 Mg 1111%

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCL) 0.38 Mg 25%

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.43 Mg 25%

Special Niacin Complexes 5 Mg 25%

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 10 Mg 500%

Folic Acid 12.5 Mcg 3.1%

Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 25 Mcg 416%

Pantothenic Acid 2.5 Mg 25%

Potassium 200 Mg 5.7%

Magnesium 60 Mg 15%

Calcium 50 Mg 5%

Zinc 2 Mg 13%

Manganese 1 Mg 50%

Chromium 10 Mcg 8.3%

Alpha-Lipoic Acid 1 Mg N/A*

Link:

Emer'Gen-C Lemon-Lime by Alacer - VitaminShoppe.com

DMac

DMac

Awards
I'm surprised no one said Yohimbe or Ephedrine, if not both.

17 miles....ok that's really far just to walk, but to HIKE ?

BTW, My time on running the mile is 10:40 and I'm not afraid to admit it. I hate running.

Stims kill you on long hikes. Stims are for the weight room or going clubbing when you're drowsy. What you need on a 17 mile hike is complex carbs with small amounts of good fats and proteins and hydration hydration hydration as well as minerals and salts.

The other things I would recommend:

Mole Skin, if you don't know how it works find out

Good shoes that are broken in, extra socks and insoles just in case

Practice WALKING, running/biking does not translate directly to walking. 17 miles with that kind of elevation gain is going to be really really hard to do in one day. Practice a 3 mile walk with an 1500 foot elevation gain (that is the equivelant elevation gain you will experience in 3 miles of your hike), then come back down hill. Both up and down hill are hard on the leg muscles in different ways, the supplements will matter little compared to hydration, good food and practice. Supps will help you recover but outside the emergen-c i think they will be negligible (except stimulants which will kill you).

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ditto on ditching the gatorade. If I were you, beta alanine and a nice BCAA mix should provide some good energy while on the go. Pack a protein bar, but not if it's going to get all melty on ya. Depending on where you're going, I would honestly opt for the one "supplement" that others have left out - water purification tablets!!! You can't possibly carry 2 gallons of water that far - 2 if it is hot and you are sweating alot. It may be better to find some water along the way that is running, has no dead critters in it upstream, and is decently healthy looking.

When in doubt, check out the Discovery Channel's website and watch some Man vs. Wild. Everything ya need is in there somewhere!!

P.S. - A knife. Definitely take a knife. Have fun!! :D

DMac

DMac

Awards
So I'm going on a hike b/c some of my buddies talked me into it. It is a 17 mile round trip hike that starts at 4000 feet and goes to 8400 feet. I'm not in great cardio shape even though I'm leaner than a lot of them. Anyway, what should I take supplement-wise? Luckily NP hooked me up with Poseidon and Swell samples so that's going in for sure. Anyone else have a lot of experience with long distance and all day events? I have available:

cissus
protein
RPM
Leviathan
Swell samples
Poseidon samples
maltodextrin
dextrose
WMS
BCAA

I'm thinking of getting some gatorades and some water and filling the water with maltodextrin. Should I be taking protein on the hike itself or worry more about carbs and BCAA and eat protein when I get back?

I'm just hoping I don't die :)
When is the hike anyway?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
The hike is tomorrow. The only problem now is that the top might be under snow. Normally I could handle a little snow, but the the issue is that with half dome at Yosemite you have to go up the last 900 feet of the rock by pulling yourself up a set of cables/planks on the bare granite rock. There is no way I would try it if it's slippery. We might have to make it as far as we can and then do it again next year after the snow. It's going to be cold but at least I won't sweat myself into dehydration :)

Attachments

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Poseidon is an excellent choice.

Ditto on the Emergen-C. I add a tablespoon or two of Apple Cider Vinegar to mine and it boosts the energy/endurance thing even more.

For elevation endurance..rhodiola, bilberry, the various ginsengs all really do help with O2 assimilation.

And of course, a methyl-B12 shot right before a strenuous climb is always a good thing.

Don't skimp on calories. A shaker full of muscle milk and oats can really go a long way.

DMac

DMac

Awards
The hike is tomorrow. The only problem now is that the top might be under snow. Normally I could handle a little snow, but the the issue is that with half dome at Yosemite you have to go up the last 900 feet of the rock by pulling yourself up a set of cables/planks on the bare granite rock. There is no way I would try it if it's slippery. We might have to make it as far as we can and then do it again next year after the snow. It's going to be cold but at least I won't sweat myself into dehydration :)
Might be a blessing in disguise, it will still be a good challenge.

But be careful man, you might not lose quite as much water due to the lack of heat, but it is still damn easy to get dehydrated on a colder day.

Well good luck, let us know how it goes.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep. Most common backcountry ski medical emergency...dehydration. You're cold so you don't feel the need to drink.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hope this gets to you before the hike.

What Bioman said, exactly. You need something you are going to want to drink and drink a lot of. Make up some baggies as follows.

5 baggies of Gatorade powder EACH one of them with a pinch of salt.

ALL the poseidon samples, they will save your azz! This stuff is simply amazing!

A baggie with about a table spoon of salt.

Some pink pepto tablets for the stomach

Drink your water adding the gatorade and see how your stomach feels. If you don't like the gatorade you can still put the poseidon in your water.

Then drink half water, half gatorade. Carry protein bars, rasins and nuts in your pockets.

Make sure you keep sipping your water ALL the time. If you drink more than half before you are half way you know you might be in trouble so take precautions. If you find yourself sweating more than you thought, start adding in more salt from your baggie.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
toss the gatorade and get some emergen-c packets. It has everything that gatorade has -sugar -excess sodium +potassium and other vitamins/minerals.
Emergen-C is good stuff, but he's covered if he's got Poseidon. Think of Poseidon as Emergen-C on MASSIVE STEROIDS! lol! It's also about the same cost per serving! :thumbsup:

How was the hike TheNinja?

Workin

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree...Poseidon is Emergen C on roids. lol

I only use it in ACV because Posiedon doesn't do well in it..at least for me.

I'll post some impressions of Poseidon use for hiking in extreme heat a little later.

Baby's cryin. :run:

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
I agree...Poseidon is Emergen C on roids. lol

I only use it in ACV because Posiedon doesn't do well in it..at least for me.

I'll post some impressions of Poseidon use for hiking in extreme heat a little later.

Baby's cryin. :run:
Looking forward to your thoughts! ;)

Workin

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone - I have good news and bad news.

Bad news - We didn't make it to the top b/c of weather. About 3/4 of the way up we ran into a rain/hail storm. I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, nice socks and boots. Not prepared to say the least but I wasn't cold (due to my body making heat while hiking) until we stopped for 10 or more minutes, or until it started pouring rain. Also there was about 6-8 inches of snow on top and we heard a little thunder. Standing on the highest point of granite and holding onto metal cables in the snow while lightning was going on didn't seem the smartest thing to do at the time :).

Good news - We got in about 10 miles round trip. Elevation went from 4500 feet to about 6800 feet. It was absolutely awesome scenery. At some points we were going up a "staircase" of granite with each step anywhere from 8 inches to 16 inches tall to climb up. Some places were roughly 4-5 feet wide with an edge you REALLY would not want to fall over unless you like free falling.

Great news - I feel fine today. Feet, calves, and quads are a little stiff but overall not bad. I did not get overly tired during the hike despite not being in great cardio shape. I have no doubt that the IGF-2 cycle I am on and the Poseidon that I was drinking during the day helped me out quite a bit. I was surprised how my body was able to handle it actually. Now I'm hooked and have to wait until next spring to finish it off (after the snow melts).

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone - I have good news and bad news.

Bad news - We didn't make it to the top b/c of weather. About 3/4 of the way up we ran into a rain/hail storm. I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, nice socks and boots. Not prepared to say the least but I wasn't cold (due to my body making heat while hiking) until we stopped for 10 or more minutes, or until it started pouring rain. Also there was about 6-8 inches of snow on top and we heard a little thunder. Standing on the highest point of granite and holding onto metal cables in the snow while lightning was going on didn't seem the smartest thing to do at the time :).

Good news - We got in about 10 miles round trip. Elevation went from 4500 feet to about 6800 feet. It was absolutely awesome scenery. At some points we were going up a "staircase" of granite with each step anywhere from 8 inches to 16 inches tall to climb up. Some places were roughly 4-5 feet wide with an edge you REALLY would not want to fall over unless you like free falling.

Great news - I feel fine today. Feet, calves, and quads are a little stiff but overall not bad. I did not get overly tired during the hike despite not being in great cardio shape. I have no doubt that the IGF-2 cycle I am on and the Poseidon that I was drinking during the day helped me out quite a bit. I was surprised how my body was able to handle it actually. Now I'm hooked and have to wait until next spring to finish it off (after the snow melts).
Sorry you didn't make it all the way, but it sounds like a great experience regardless. Gets me motivated to do a bit of hiking!

Glad to hear Poseidon worked so well for you. :thumbsup:

Workin

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Sorry you didn't make it all the way, but it sounds like a great experience regardless. Gets me motivated to do a bit of hiking!

Glad to hear Poseidon worked so well for you. :thumbsup:

Workin
thanks for the comments man - I appreciate it! - the other thing I liked about the poseidon is that it seemed to keep my thirst down in general. in other words it seemed to help keep my mouth moist. I'm not sure if one of the acids in there helps coat the mouth or causes the body to create saliva. gatorade obviously has sodium so it makes you drink more which is good, but it doesn't really take away the thirst very well......or maybe it was all in my head b/c I wanted to believe it??...but I don't think so - I was just over at NP figuring out if I need 2200 grams of Poseidon (I want to get in on the free clumpy deal:) ) - Either that or I may try out the smaller blast or swell.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the comments man - I appreciate it! - the other thing I liked about the poseidon is that it seemed to keep my thirst down in general. in other words it seemed to help keep my mouth moist. I'm not sure if one of the acids in there helps coat the mouth or causes the body to create saliva. gatorade obviously has sodium so it makes you drink more which is good, but it doesn't really take away the thirst very well......or maybe it was all in my head b/c I wanted to believe it??...but I don't think so - I was just over at NP figuring out if I need 2200 grams of Poseidon (I want to get in on the free clumpy deal:) ) - Either that or I may try out the smaller blast or swell.
Great to hear Poseidon worked so well theninja. I would recommend going with the Blast/Swell combo and get a free clumpy Poseidon. The reason is, BLAST and SWELL both contain Poseidon Complex in them. Therefore, you won't need nearly as much Poseidon.

The BLAST/SWELL combo is stellar....especially pre-workout. Be sure and let us know what you think if you decided to give them a try. :thumbsup:

Workin