Supplements for a long hike (all day 17 miles)

  1. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    605
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Supplements for a long hike (all day 17 miles)


    So I'm going on a hike b/c some of my buddies talked me into it. It is a 17 mile round trip hike that starts at 4000 feet and goes to 8400 feet. I'm not in great cardio shape even though I'm leaner than a lot of them. Anyway, what should I take supplement-wise? Luckily NP hooked me up with Poseidon and Swell samples so that's going in for sure. Anyone else have a lot of experience with long distance and all day events? I have available:

    cissus
    protein
    RPM
    Leviathan
    Swell samples
    Poseidon samples
    maltodextrin
    dextrose
    WMS
    BCAA

    I'm thinking of getting some gatorades and some water and filling the water with maltodextrin. Should I be taking protein on the hike itself or worry more about carbs and BCAA and eat protein when I get back?

    I'm just hoping I don't die

  2. Board Sponsor
    tattoopierced1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,227
    Rep Power
    8350
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    beta alanine would be good to add in too
  3. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    605
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I'll see if I can track some BA down. Anyone have suggestions on when to dose what? Maybe I won't take anything other than gatorade and just tough it out.
    •   
       

  4. O.G. Appnut
    Vitruvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,203
    Rep Power
    85510
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    31.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Ninja, I'd suggest ditching the full body black cloth outfit.... for some comfortable gear that will protect you from whatever you may encounter (poison ivy, thorns, etc.)

    Also, don't get caught up in the supplement game when it comes to your hike.... I'd go with the Poseidon for sure, plenty of fluid and food, some good shoes and socks, a hat or visor, etc.
    You're in good enough shape to handle the hike I am sure..... don't stress on the supps.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    Better Results Through Science
    Success occurs when everything you have is APPLIED.
    Have you heard about N.O. Uptake? ;-)
  5. Advanced Member
    johnyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    508
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    50.79%

    poseidon and aminos, plus lots of food and water, can't imagine what else you "need"


    maybe some cordyceps?
  6. Advanced Member
    johnyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    508
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    50.79%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    I'll see if I can track some BA down. Anyone have suggestions on when to dose what? Maybe I won't take anything other than gatorade and just tough it out.
    swell has BA . Its more of a long term supplement though, if you aren't taking it now and for at least a month, I wouldn't worry about it.
  7. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    605
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane View Post
    Ninja, I'd suggest ditching the full body black cloth outfit.... for some comfortable gear that will protect you from whatever you may encounter (poison ivy, thorns, etc.)

    Also, don't get caught up in the supplement game when it comes to your hike.... I'd go with the Poseidon for sure, plenty of fluid and food, some good shoes and socks, a hat or visor, etc.
    You're in good enough shape to handle the hike I am sure..... don't stress on the supps.
    Ya, I'll probably just take the Poseidon and then take along gatorade and water. I was debating on whether to toss some maltodextrin in the water/gatorade but I think we'll stop enough for granola, fruit, and sandwhiches. It's not like I'm racing to the top.

    I'm debating on the cloth outfit. There have been many who have done it before me with the same outfit, the only thing is you never saw them b/c they typically stick to the trees and hiding behind rocks. To avoid confusing everyone and having them wonder where I am all the time I'll probably opt for shorts and a T-shirt. Either that or a speedo.
  8. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32272
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    2.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane View Post
    Ninja, I'd suggest ditching the full body black cloth outfit.... for some comfortable gear that will protect you from whatever you may encounter (poison ivy, thorns, etc.)

    Also, don't get caught up in the supplement game when it comes to your hike.... I'd go with the Poseidon for sure, plenty of fluid and food, some good shoes and socks, a hat or visor, etc.
    You're in good enough shape to handle the hike I am sure..... don't stress on the supps.


    this man is smart! I forgot where I read this from but the most important equipment that helped during war were socks. Just protect yourself agianst the environment and bring plenty of water. poseidon would be a great add too
  9. Elite Member
    john123131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,792
    Rep Power
    2990
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    9.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    poseidon, bcaas, beta alanine
  10. Elite Member
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    33342
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    16.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I'm surprised no one said Yohimbe or Ephedrine, if not both.

    17 miles....ok that's really far just to walk, but to HIKE ?



    BTW, My time on running the mile is 10:40 and I'm not afraid to admit it. I hate running.
  11. New Member
    DMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    69.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    Ya, I'll probably just take the Poseidon and then take along gatorade and water. I was debating on whether to toss some maltodextrin in the water/gatorade but I think we'll stop enough for granola, fruit, and sandwhiches. It's not like I'm racing to the top.

    I'm debating on the cloth outfit. There have been many who have done it before me with the same outfit, the only thing is you never saw them b/c they typically stick to the trees and hiding behind rocks. To avoid confusing everyone and having them wonder where I am all the time I'll probably opt for shorts and a T-shirt. Either that or a speedo.
    toss the gatorade and get some emergen-c packets. It has everything that gatorade has -sugar -excess sodium +potassium and other vitamins/minerals.

    I drink that stuff in the morning before runs, or during long hikes/ runs, much better than gatorade. And it's only $7.37 for 36 packets.


    Ingredients:

    Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 PACKET
    Servings Per Container 36 Packets

    Amount Per
    Serving % Daily
    Value

    Calories 14 N/A*

    Total Fat 0 N/A*

    Sodium 60 Mg 2.5%

    Total Carbohydrate 3.5 Gm 1.2%

    Sugars 3.4 Gm N/A*

    Protein 0 Gm N/A*

    Vitamin C (As Mineral Ascorbates) 1000 Mg 1111%

    Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCL) 0.38 Mg 25%

    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.43 Mg 25%

    Special Niacin Complexes 5 Mg 25%

    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 10 Mg 500%

    Folic Acid 12.5 Mcg 3.1%

    Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 25 Mcg 416%

    Pantothenic Acid 2.5 Mg 25%

    Potassium 200 Mg 5.7%

    Magnesium 60 Mg 15%

    Calcium 50 Mg 5%

    Zinc 2 Mg 13%

    Manganese 1 Mg 50%

    Chromium 10 Mcg 8.3%

    Alpha-Lipoic Acid 1 Mg N/A*

    Link:

    Emer'Gen-C Lemon-Lime by Alacer - VitaminShoppe.com
  12. New Member
    DMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    69.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    I'm surprised no one said Yohimbe or Ephedrine, if not both.

    17 miles....ok that's really far just to walk, but to HIKE ?



    BTW, My time on running the mile is 10:40 and I'm not afraid to admit it. I hate running.

    Stims kill you on long hikes. Stims are for the weight room or going clubbing when you're drowsy. What you need on a 17 mile hike is complex carbs with small amounts of good fats and proteins and hydration hydration hydration as well as minerals and salts.

    The other things I would recommend:

    Mole Skin, if you don't know how it works find out

    Good shoes that are broken in, extra socks and insoles just in case

    Practice WALKING, running/biking does not translate directly to walking. 17 miles with that kind of elevation gain is going to be really really hard to do in one day. Practice a 3 mile walk with an 1500 foot elevation gain (that is the equivelant elevation gain you will experience in 3 miles of your hike), then come back down hill. Both up and down hill are hard on the leg muscles in different ways, the supplements will matter little compared to hydration, good food and practice. Supps will help you recover but outside the emergen-c i think they will be negligible (except stimulants which will kill you).
  13. Elite Member
    T-AD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  295 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,051
    Rep Power
    484103
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    90.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Ditto on ditching the gatorade. If I were you, beta alanine and a nice BCAA mix should provide some good energy while on the go. Pack a protein bar, but not if it's going to get all melty on ya. Depending on where you're going, I would honestly opt for the one "supplement" that others have left out - water purification tablets!!! You can't possibly carry 2 gallons of water that far - 2 if it is hot and you are sweating alot. It may be better to find some water along the way that is running, has no dead critters in it upstream, and is decently healthy looking.

    When in doubt, check out the Discovery Channel's website and watch some Man vs. Wild. Everything ya need is in there somewhere!!

    P.S. - A knife. Definitely take a knife. Have fun!!
    -RecoverBro Zombie Specialist and Paracord Wrangler
    -Independent due to lies that hurt my family. Loyal to myself and my Bro's.
  14. New Member
    DMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    69.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    So I'm going on a hike b/c some of my buddies talked me into it. It is a 17 mile round trip hike that starts at 4000 feet and goes to 8400 feet. I'm not in great cardio shape even though I'm leaner than a lot of them. Anyway, what should I take supplement-wise? Luckily NP hooked me up with Poseidon and Swell samples so that's going in for sure. Anyone else have a lot of experience with long distance and all day events? I have available:

    cissus
    protein
    RPM
    Leviathan
    Swell samples
    Poseidon samples
    maltodextrin
    dextrose
    WMS
    BCAA

    I'm thinking of getting some gatorades and some water and filling the water with maltodextrin. Should I be taking protein on the hike itself or worry more about carbs and BCAA and eat protein when I get back?

    I'm just hoping I don't die
    When is the hike anyway?
  15. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    605
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    The hike is tomorrow. The only problem now is that the top might be under snow. Normally I could handle a little snow, but the the issue is that with half dome at Yosemite you have to go up the last 900 feet of the rock by pulling yourself up a set of cables/planks on the bare granite rock. There is no way I would try it if it's slippery. We might have to make it as far as we can and then do it again next year after the snow. It's going to be cold but at least I won't sweat myself into dehydration
    Attached Images Attached Images   
  16. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Poseidon is an excellent choice.

    Ditto on the Emergen-C. I add a tablespoon or two of Apple Cider Vinegar to mine and it boosts the energy/endurance thing even more.

    For elevation endurance..rhodiola, bilberry, the various ginsengs all really do help with O2 assimilation.

    And of course, a methyl-B12 shot right before a strenuous climb is always a good thing.

    Don't skimp on calories. A shaker full of muscle milk and oats can really go a long way.
  17. New Member
    DMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    69.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    The hike is tomorrow. The only problem now is that the top might be under snow. Normally I could handle a little snow, but the the issue is that with half dome at Yosemite you have to go up the last 900 feet of the rock by pulling yourself up a set of cables/planks on the bare granite rock. There is no way I would try it if it's slippery. We might have to make it as far as we can and then do it again next year after the snow. It's going to be cold but at least I won't sweat myself into dehydration
    Might be a blessing in disguise, it will still be a good challenge.

    But be careful man, you might not lose quite as much water due to the lack of heat, but it is still damn easy to get dehydrated on a colder day.

    Well good luck, let us know how it goes.
  18. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yep. Most common backcountry ski medical emergency...dehydration. You're cold so you don't feel the need to drink.
  19. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    CROWLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,545
    Rep Power
    4830
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Hope this gets to you before the hike.

    What Bioman said, exactly. You need something you are going to want to drink and drink a lot of. Make up some baggies as follows.

    5 baggies of Gatorade powder EACH one of them with a pinch of salt.

    ALL the poseidon samples, they will save your azz! This stuff is simply amazing!

    A baggie with about a table spoon of salt.

    Some pink pepto tablets for the stomach

    Drink your water adding the gatorade and see how your stomach feels. If you don't like the gatorade you can still put the poseidon in your water.

    Then drink half water, half gatorade. Carry protein bars, rasins and nuts in your pockets.

    Make sure you keep sipping your water ALL the time. If you drink more than half before you are half way you know you might be in trouble so take precautions. If you find yourself sweating more than you thought, start adding in more salt from your baggie.
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  20. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Nothing finer than peeing in Nature.

    lol
  21. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    workin2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,556
    Rep Power
    1427
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    toss the gatorade and get some emergen-c packets. It has everything that gatorade has -sugar -excess sodium +potassium and other vitamins/minerals.
    Emergen-C is good stuff, but he's covered if he's got Poseidon. Think of Poseidon as Emergen-C on MASSIVE STEROIDS! lol! It's also about the same cost per serving!

    How was the hike TheNinja?

    Workin
  22. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I agree...Poseidon is Emergen C on roids. lol

    I only use it in ACV because Posiedon doesn't do well in it..at least for me.


    I'll post some impressions of Poseidon use for hiking in extreme heat a little later.

    Baby's cryin.
  23. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    workin2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,556
    Rep Power
    1427
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I agree...Poseidon is Emergen C on roids. lol

    I only use it in ACV because Posiedon doesn't do well in it..at least for me.


    I'll post some impressions of Poseidon use for hiking in extreme heat a little later.

    Baby's cryin.
    Looking forward to your thoughts!

    Workin
  24. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    605
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Hi everyone - I have good news and bad news.

    Bad news - We didn't make it to the top b/c of weather. About 3/4 of the way up we ran into a rain/hail storm. I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, nice socks and boots. Not prepared to say the least but I wasn't cold (due to my body making heat while hiking) until we stopped for 10 or more minutes, or until it started pouring rain. Also there was about 6-8 inches of snow on top and we heard a little thunder. Standing on the highest point of granite and holding onto metal cables in the snow while lightning was going on didn't seem the smartest thing to do at the time .

    Good news - We got in about 10 miles round trip. Elevation went from 4500 feet to about 6800 feet. It was absolutely awesome scenery. At some points we were going up a "staircase" of granite with each step anywhere from 8 inches to 16 inches tall to climb up. Some places were roughly 4-5 feet wide with an edge you REALLY would not want to fall over unless you like free falling.

    Great news - I feel fine today. Feet, calves, and quads are a little stiff but overall not bad. I did not get overly tired during the hike despite not being in great cardio shape. I have no doubt that the IGF-2 cycle I am on and the Poseidon that I was drinking during the day helped me out quite a bit. I was surprised how my body was able to handle it actually. Now I'm hooked and have to wait until next spring to finish it off (after the snow melts).
  25. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    workin2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,556
    Rep Power
    1427
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    Hi everyone - I have good news and bad news.

    Bad news - We didn't make it to the top b/c of weather. About 3/4 of the way up we ran into a rain/hail storm. I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, nice socks and boots. Not prepared to say the least but I wasn't cold (due to my body making heat while hiking) until we stopped for 10 or more minutes, or until it started pouring rain. Also there was about 6-8 inches of snow on top and we heard a little thunder. Standing on the highest point of granite and holding onto metal cables in the snow while lightning was going on didn't seem the smartest thing to do at the time .

    Good news - We got in about 10 miles round trip. Elevation went from 4500 feet to about 6800 feet. It was absolutely awesome scenery. At some points we were going up a "staircase" of granite with each step anywhere from 8 inches to 16 inches tall to climb up. Some places were roughly 4-5 feet wide with an edge you REALLY would not want to fall over unless you like free falling.

    Great news - I feel fine today. Feet, calves, and quads are a little stiff but overall not bad. I did not get overly tired during the hike despite not being in great cardio shape. I have no doubt that the IGF-2 cycle I am on and the Poseidon that I was drinking during the day helped me out quite a bit. I was surprised how my body was able to handle it actually. Now I'm hooked and have to wait until next spring to finish it off (after the snow melts).
    Sorry you didn't make it all the way, but it sounds like a great experience regardless. Gets me motivated to do a bit of hiking!

    Glad to hear Poseidon worked so well for you.

    Workin
  26. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    605
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by workin2005 View Post
    Sorry you didn't make it all the way, but it sounds like a great experience regardless. Gets me motivated to do a bit of hiking!

    Glad to hear Poseidon worked so well for you.

    Workin
    thanks for the comments man - I appreciate it! - the other thing I liked about the poseidon is that it seemed to keep my thirst down in general. in other words it seemed to help keep my mouth moist. I'm not sure if one of the acids in there helps coat the mouth or causes the body to create saliva. gatorade obviously has sodium so it makes you drink more which is good, but it doesn't really take away the thirst very well......or maybe it was all in my head b/c I wanted to believe it??...but I don't think so - I was just over at NP figuring out if I need 2200 grams of Poseidon (I want to get in on the free clumpy deal ) - Either that or I may try out the smaller blast or swell.
  27. NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
    workin2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,556
    Rep Power
    1427
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Thumbs up


    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    thanks for the comments man - I appreciate it! - the other thing I liked about the poseidon is that it seemed to keep my thirst down in general. in other words it seemed to help keep my mouth moist. I'm not sure if one of the acids in there helps coat the mouth or causes the body to create saliva. gatorade obviously has sodium so it makes you drink more which is good, but it doesn't really take away the thirst very well......or maybe it was all in my head b/c I wanted to believe it??...but I don't think so - I was just over at NP figuring out if I need 2200 grams of Poseidon (I want to get in on the free clumpy deal ) - Either that or I may try out the smaller blast or swell.
    Great to hear Poseidon worked so well theninja. I would recommend going with the Blast/Swell combo and get a free clumpy Poseidon. The reason is, BLAST and SWELL both contain Poseidon Complex in them. Therefore, you won't need nearly as much Poseidon.

    The BLAST/SWELL combo is stellar....especially pre-workout. Be sure and let us know what you think if you decided to give them a try.

    Workin
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Whats a good supp for all day energy?
    By kbtoy31 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 12:54 AM
  3. All Day Energy Supplement / mass retention
    By Aceer1221 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
  4. BCAA's Used All Day Long
    By LJ57 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
  5. Me after eating all day long...
    By Big Matt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in