Mystery supplement???

molotov

Awards
This from a trainer's blog...he won't say what the supplement is, except that it's the best supplement he's ever tried in terms of bang for your buck. Can anyone decipher this???

"As for the supplement... it pulls a lot of water from various parts of your body to your muscles. it'll make you look bigger, stronger, and it'll help shuttle nutrients like BCAA and various aminos and creatine to your muscles. but the best feeling i get from this supplement... man.. it makes you feel pumped all day... even when you wake up, you'll look like you just got outta the gym with a full pump. and at the gym... man, you'll feel like your muscles are going to explode. Sometimes they add this supplement to other supplements in small quantities... a month serving would cost around 5-10 dollars... if you buy the other supplements that have that ingredient it'll cost around $40 for a week supply... i've ordered some online and hopefully it'll make it through since it's not a "bodybuilding" supplement...just another tip to help you figure it out... maybe... a friend of mine who is an amazing cook uses this supplement as a sweetner in some of his desserts."

coug42

coug42

Awards
  • Established
It's not a sweetner but he may be talking about WMS or waxy maize starch. Sounds like it from the description maybe but definitely not a "mystery Supp".

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Waxy Maize? Palitinose? SUPERCARB???

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Dextrose May Boost Sports Performance
Study Shows the Sweetener Was More Effective Than Another Sugar
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJan. 13, 2006 -- Dextrose, a type of sugar, could kick athletes' sports performance up a notch, new research shows.

The sweetener was the underdog winner in a recent study of sugar supplements given to college athletes.

The researchers compared dextrose to ribose, another form of sugar. They expected ribose to win. But they were wrong.

The report by Laura Dunne, MD, of Ohio State University's Sports Medicine Center appears in the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine.

Sugars Square Off
Dunne's eight-week study included 31 women on Ohio State's rowing team.

First, the researchers timed each woman as she rowed about 1.2 miles (2,000 meters).

Next, the women drank beverages made by the researchers before and after every practice for eight weeks. The drinks either contained supplements of dextrose or ribose. The rowers weren't told which drink they got.

Lastly, the researchers timed the rowers again at the end of the study.

Rowers in the dextrose group improved their times by an average of 15.2 seconds. That's 10 seconds faster than the improvement in the ribose group.

Surprising Results
Dunne's team didn't expect to see dextrose in the winner's circle. They quote an article from another sports medicine journal that called ribose a "rising star on the supplement scene."

Michael Mackin, MD, who worked with Dunne on the new dextrose study, commented in a news release.

"After studying previous research, we initially hypothesized that the use of ribose would result in improved rowing times," says Mackin. In fact, dextrose was just used for comparison as a placebo, adds Mackin. He is the chairman of general pediatrics for the Children's Hospital at The Cleveland Clinic.

A mix of varsity and junior rowers took part. Not all finished the study or attended every practice session.

Rowers in both groups were equally exhausted after the time trials and recovered in the same amount of time. Mild stomach discomfort was more common in the dextrose group, the study states.

Athletes' Advantage?
Mackin says the unexpected findings "could impact how people prepare for races in the future."

He adds that the results "could springboard research into the exact amount of sugar required to optimize performance and what amounts can most effectively enhance the performance of athletes competing in different types of events."

When the researchers interviewed some of the rowers after the study, they realized that several had correctly guessed which drink they'd gotten.

That shouldn't have changed the results, write Dunne and colleagues. They argue that those rowers likely viewed ribose as more helpful than dextrose, but dextrose still won at the finish line.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glycerol?
That has to be it. Pulling water into muscles, increase absorption and artificial sweeter are all roles glycerol is known for. Remeber the low carb bars before sugar alcohol got so popular? What was the primary sweetner? Glycerol.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
WMS or dextrose

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jarrow Lo Han Sweet Sweetener

Ingredient Details:
Active Ingredients: Xylitol and Lo Han Kuo (Momordica grosvenorii), MogroPure (M. grosvenori, Lo Han Extract). Inactive Ingredients: Inulin-FOS (FructoOligroSaccharide) and silicon dioxide.

Suggested Use:
Use Lo Han Sweet™ to enhance taste in place of high-calorie sugars.Mix with tea, coffee or other beverages, desserts and foods to sweeten as desired.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I think rpen and plrd got it .. I would definitely put my money on glycerol monostearate :think:

Grimmy

Grimmy

Awards
This from a trainer's blog...he won't say what the supplement is, except that it's the best supplement he's ever tried in terms of bang for your buck. Can anyone decipher this???

"As for the supplement... it pulls a lot of water from various parts of your body to your muscles. it'll make you look bigger, stronger, and it'll help shuttle nutrients like BCAA and various aminos and creatine to your muscles. but the best feeling i get from this supplement... man.. it makes you feel pumped all day... even when you wake up, you'll look like you just got outta the gym with a full pump. and at the gym... man, you'll feel like your muscles are going to explode. Sometimes they add this supplement to other supplements in small quantities... a month serving would cost around 5-10 dollars... if you buy the other supplements that have that ingredient it'll cost around $40 for a week supply... i've ordered some online and hopefully it'll make it through since it's not a "bodybuilding" supplement...just another tip to help you figure it out... maybe... a friend of mine who is an amazing cook uses this supplement as a sweetner in some of his desserts."
He is an axhole I say. :toilet: My bet is on Glycerol (not the monostearate, it doesnt dissolve in water), it is rather cheap, it is in a supplement that is less than $50 (WTF). My First guess would have been WMS, but it is ruled out because a month serving of it defintely cost more than $10.

Here is what Wiki has to say.

Glycerol has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60% as sweet as sucrose. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. Glycerol should not be consumed undiluted, as unhydrated glycerol will draw water from tissues, causing blistering in the mouth and gastric distress

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
waxy maize

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
WMS would bea tough one to incorporate into a lot of desserts........

Scratch my sugar joke, I say glycerol.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I'm almost positive it's waxy maze. I've seen basically that exact write up to describe it. It might even be the same one I saw before. The other products people are mentioning I'm sure do the same thing, but the wording is exactly the same, to the point where I'd be shocked if it wasn't Waxy Maze.