Carbs after workout?

1. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Carbs after workout?

I have heard of people using "pure vitargo" post WO, to get a sufficient amount of carbs for re-fueling. What types of food are best to eat besides brown rice? Thanks in advance.

The protein I take is 2-3 carbs per serving. Not great for refueling IMO.

-Agg

2. Registered User

dextrose is good for PWO nutrition.
  3. Registered User
    •   

4. Registered User

Some people like dextrose or malto. Some prefer oats. Taking creatine I chase it down after every workout with organic grape juice. Its about half dextrose. then I mix oats with my protein shake.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I prefer oats and fruit (either a banana or pineapple).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User

also wazy maize starch is good for PWO nutrition.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/1378/carb-slam.html
  7. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by herkfsu View Post
    Some people like dextrose or malto. Some prefer oats. Taking creatine I chase it down after every workout with organic grape juice. Its about half dextrose. then I mix oats with my protein shake.
    I take SizeOn, During my WO. Some people say it makes them nauseous, but I turn to it for a source of hydration. The DOMS stopped when I moved it to intra workout consumption. So that was a good thing. I didn't notice a change in results either.

-Agg
  8. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Good God, how many scoops of that is needed for a typical dose?
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Good God, how many scoops of that is needed for a typical dose?
    i believe a scoop of your protien scooper. I take 10 teaspoons of it PWO. Im running dry actually i gotta pick up some more dextrose soon!
  10. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    i believe a scoop of your protien scooper. I take 10 teaspoons of it PWO. Im running dry actually i gotta pick up some more dextrose soon!

Nice! I will have to pick some of that stuff up next time! Thanks for the info guys!

-Agg
  11. Registered User

Nice! I will have to pick some of that stuff up next time! Thanks for the info guys!

-Agg

no problem

cellar
  12. Registered User

skim milk is great post workout as well - 8oz is 16grams carbs, 8grams protein.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

I add between 30-40g of dextrose both pre and post workout. AST sells a dextrose-glucose powder that I like. I also have ON Pre-Load, which is creatine mono and dextrose. I use that on my creatine days and the AST stuff on non-creatine days. NP sells both of these.

I lift at like 5 AM though and I think it's worth mentioning that if you lift later in the day, you may not want to consume quite that many simple carbs. I like the way I do it because it's early enough in the day that I'm sure it will all be used for recovery and energy. If I worked out in the evening, I might not do it the same way.
  14. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.

60g Waxy Maize Starch( True Protein custom mix), 40g Dextrose, Creatine, Bcaa's powder(2tsp)about 10g. I also workout at 5:30 am.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EctoPower View Post
    I add between 30-40g of dextrose both pre and post workout. AST sells a dextrose-glucose powder that I like. I also have ON Pre-Load, which is creatine mono and dextrose. I use that on my creatine days and the AST stuff on non-creatine days. NP sells both of these.

I lift at like 5 AM though and I think it's worth mentioning that if you lift later in the day, you may not want to consume quite that many simple carbs. I like the way I do it because it's early enough in the day that I'm sure it will all be used for recovery and energy. If I worked out in the evening, I might not do it the same way.
    Yeah I work out in the eve. Usually between 7-8:15pm. So I like to get as few carbs in, not many. This brings me back to the fact that I need to be taking casien. I am awake for about 3.5-4 hrs after I work out, If I were taking casien I wouldn't need to eat 2 times before I go to bed. Any ideas of good cheap casien protein (opinionated answers welcome!!!).
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Yeah I work out in the eve. Usually between 7-8:15pm. So I like to get as few carbs in, not many. This brings me back to the fact that I need to be taking casien. I am awake for about 3.5-4 hrs after I work out, If I were taking casien I wouldn't need to eat 2 times before I go to bed. Any ideas of good cheap casien protein (opinionated answers welcome!!!).
    Protein prices have gone through the roof across the board, but I think Optimum Nutrition is the best bang for the buck. And casein is typically more expensive than whey.

It might be just as good to have a whey protein shake immediately post workout w/ bcaa and whatever else, because you want to rush those nutrients in quickly. Then an hour or so later eat a solid food meal that is almost all protein (eggs maybe?) and go to bed. Someone who's got the same workout schedule as you might have a better strategy though.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EctoPower View Post
    Protein prices have gone through the roof across the board, but I think Optimum Nutrition is the best bang for the buck. And casein is typically more expensive than whey.

It might be just as good to have a whey protein shake immediately post workout w/ bcaa and whatever else, because you want to rush those nutrients in quickly. Then an hour or so later eat a solid food meal that is almost all protein (eggs maybe?) and go to bed. Someone who's got the same workout schedule as you might have a better strategy though.
    Makes sense. Typically I turn to something with around 800-1000 cals for dinner. I have to say I eat at least 5 times a day. Not including my shakes.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM
  2. carbs after workout
    By lild in forum Bulking
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
  3. Carbs after evening workout while Cutting?
    By Kata1yst in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
  4. Spiking Insulin before, during and after workout
    By chainsaw in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 12:05 PM
  5. Cheat meal - After Workout or no?
    By adrenalinaddict in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 09:19 PM