Anti-depressants and weight gain

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I have been on generic prozac for a bout a month and a half, and have steadily gained about 10 pounds with no change in diet or exercise. Could the prozac have something to do with this? Its not like I can just stop taking it, but I would like to know what is going on.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
From a very quick search of the PubMed, it does appear that can be a common side effect.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Yep it is for that category of anti-depressants (prozac, paxil, zoloft, etc.)

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
well that sucks some serious ass. wonder if the doc can change the script for me, as i ve worked entirely too hard to have some "side-effect" fat gain.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Talk to him about Wellbutrin or Serzone. Neither one of these have weight gain sides for the most part.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Yeah NP. The Wellbutrin and Serzone do not have any sexual sides either where the ones you are taking almost always do.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
wellbutrin, as wind point out doesn't affect libido levels as heavily as other SSRI's. In addition, I've seen a few people lose a considerable amount of weight while on it....

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
you wouldnt think a side effect of weight gain would be good for someone who is already worried about their weight and depressed. hmmm

by the way, windwords, thanks for the reply to the pm. that info is sufficient.

mariners216

Awards
Anyone know if Effexor causes any side effects like this?

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Effexor will kill your libido and it can cause weight gain like the others. Remron is very bad at causing weight gain in women as well and it can be bad in men.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
i used to be on A LOT of anti-dep and ssri's when i was younger. Effexor, and another one i cant remember made me lose A LOT of weight. from what i understand, they can do both; it depends on the person.

Wreck

Awards
I'm on Paxil and have no appetite. Actually, it just never came back after going on it (6 weeks now). Down almost 30lbs in the last 3 months.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I'm on Paxil and have no appetite. Actually, it just never came back after going on it (6 weeks now). Down almost 30lbs in the last 3 months.
Yeah that happens for some bro. Unfortunately for many they not only keep eating they do less and less because it makes them tired.

Wreck

Awards

Yeah that happens for some bro. Unfortunately for many they not only keep eating they do less and less because it makes them tired.
Correct on that. Actually, I'd lost most of the weight before starting the meds and the weight loss has tapered as of last week. So far this week I'm back up 2 lbs and haven't been nearly as lethargic. Apparently it just took a while for the stuff to kick in.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established

Correct on that. Actually, I'd lost most of the weight before starting the meds and the weight loss has tapered as of last week. So far this week I'm back up 2 lbs and haven't been nearly as lethargic. Apparently it just took a while for the stuff to kick in.
Yeah you will start feeling "normal again" at the 4-6 week mark.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Speaking about being depressed, I was looking into doing some research on hormone levels and depression. Wind and I spoke about this briefly on the phone a while back, but I never went and looked up any studies. I think there was one study posted here a while back that showed varying levels of testosterone influence mood. Interesting stuff to say the least..

WYD

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Swale, who is a DR. who treats men for Testosterone Deficency says that it is impossible in his opinion to treat a male for depression if they are in the lower levels of "normal" in Test count. I am getting tested this week for TRT and may have a script next week.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I have seen the same studies you are talking about WYD.. and I know from my HRT that lower levels of testosterone can cause a semi depressed like state in me... much better after I started HRT..

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Considering we know a hell of alot more about how test works in the body compared to SSRI's...checking your test levels (when not on or coming off cycle) might be the first step...

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I know when I run large amounts of 4AD, I feel much better.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Considering we know a hell of alot more about how test works in the body compared to SSRI's...checking your test levels (when not on or coming off cycle) might be the first step...
thats interesting. do u think that low test levels would have an effect on depression when ur a teen? cuz like i said, i was on them before when younger, but not any more. but since they're sky high anyhow at that age, it might not be relevant.

oh yea custom, i ran 1000mg of oral 4AD for only like 4 or 5 days cuz i had to quit due to an injury, but it def made me more upbeat and hippy-happy when on it.

also might as well throw this in here as well,-- ive been on 6OXO for about 2 weeks now and one minute ill be super happy, and the next ill be sooooo irritable its not even funny. ill flip out because someone moved my shaker bottle to another counter in the kitchen. im not joking, its getting th better of me. or should i say the worst.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
See that is the problem. The theory isnt always consistent, especially when dealing with teens who are peaking in test levels. First we have to define the type of depression...is it circumstantial (ie, a death, relationship problems) or is it the type of case where the person is unhappy and having irrational thoughts for no obvious reason. I read a few studies and they have mixed reviews... some say HRT can help depression and others reject that assertion. It may be possible that there are types of depression associated with low testosterone that we have not really discovered...which potentially may be why SSRI's are only about 65% or so effective for most people.... I need to read more to speak knowledgable about the issue. I just had some intial ideas about the whole thing...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
yea i know what u mean. im guessing the manic depressive would probably fall under the low test levels category(if applicable)
and in this case w/o being exposed to androgens. as in just naturally having low test levels.

while the circumstantial would be in relation to just that. a negative or underlying reason, etc.

all good stuff. ill tell u what though, from my experience as a depressed teen and with other older people i know, pyschologists and psyciatrists these days are so fast to pick up their script pad and just write off another patient w/ a med before trying to actually acsess the problem(s) and try to cooperate w/ the patient in trying to fix them.

im not saying their all like this of course, but i had to do a reasonable search back then to find one that i could talk to and discuss situtations with.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
So I got a new perscription, but since I have no insurance, i am kind of limited in that I will generally ask for some free samples from the doc if they are like $50 a month for 6-8 months like most anti-depressants are. So, he gave me some venlafaxine. i ve never heard of it, have any of you guys?

On1Mission

Awards
So I got a new perscription, but since I have no insurance, i am kind of limited in that I will generally ask for some free samples from the doc if they are like $50 a month for 6-8 months like most anti-depressants are. So, he gave me some venlafaxine. i ve never heard of it, have any of you guys?

(venlafaxine) Known as the ingrediant for Effexor. If you don't have any insurance to cover medication, you may want to talk with the doctor about trying the much cheaper generic Tricylic antidepressants. You might also ask your Pharmacist if there are any State programs which might cover a portion of the medication cost.

I too have heard of people gaining or loseing weight with antidepressants. The typical medical reasoning: You became less depressed so either the drug helped restore your normal eating habit, or the drug helped you feel better, and you started being more active.

Some have done well with the newer SSRI's, but my first choice is to try cheaper generic Tricylic antidepressants before moving on to the much more expensive SSRI's. I personally have done well with generic Elavil myself.

I saw Serzone mentioned in the thread. A serious side effect ( I believe the liver) has been seen with Serzone, and a boxed warning was placed on Serzone. My doctor told me he was taking all his patients off Serzone except for a select few.

Wellbutrin is more of a stimulating type medication.

A drug known as Strattera was recently approved for ADD, and although not classified a class ll stimulant, the drug does produce similar effects on the human body. Althought not approved for use as an antidepressant, in my opinion I expect Eli Lilly will seek out approval for use as an antidepressant if the drug goes over well with humans for ADD, and bad side effects due not show up after wide spread market use.

Anyway, I thought I would jump im on this thread.

Regards,
On1Mission

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Serzone is a great drug but in a FEW there have been liver issues and therefore must be watched closely the first 6 months. After that its not going to be an issue.

On Strattera they are already using it for depression although its not classified as such. My Dr. has considered it for use in my case.

conversekidz

Awards
I know this is a dead thread, but I am taking remeron, I put on 40lbs in total while taking it....now it isn't 40lbs of fat, I have gained a lot of muscle cause I have been working out the whole time on it. When you first start taking it, for me at least, it cause my appetite to go through the roof...to give you an idea, I was never able to get full, I could eat and eat and eat and eat and never fill up.

But after your body get use to it, you lose the appetite increase.

And if people are hung up on the 40lbs, I was 130lbs when I started taking it, and I am currently 170 after a year and a half.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by windwords7
Swale, who is a DR. who treats men for Testosterone Deficency says that it is impossible in his opinion to treat a male for depression if they are in the lower levels of "normal" in Test count. I am getting tested this week for TRT and may have a script next week.
Will most insurances cover test level tests?  I'm going in for a physical soon and I would like to get them checked.

johnnybeegood

Banned
Awards
i've heard that weight gain is common for the other ssri's but not so much for prozac as it acts as somewhat of an appetite suppressant in most people. i think i lost a little weight on prozac. one of them was bad for weight gain for me, forget which one tho

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
You'll lose weight on Wellbutin, but I found it had a lot of unwanted side effects. Cymbalta is super clean and you will not put on weight.....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Epic 10 year bump! Was this planned? because it is literally 10 years to this day lol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anniversary post!

ironyogi

ironyogi

Awards
Dude...I put on about 60 pounds in less than a year on that stuff. ****ed up and it didn't just fall off when I stopped taking it either. It was probably the hardest weight to lose, ever.

Funk dat.

Take L-tryptophan instead.