Arachidonic Acid: Bodybuilder's Friend or Foe? - AnabolicMinds.com

Arachidonic Acid: Bodybuilder's Friend or Foe?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Arachidonic Acid: Bodybuilder's Friend or Foe?


    Some supplements contain arachidonic acid (AA), espousing it as an important anabolic compound. On the other hand, I have read articles describing arachidonic acid as a chief inflammatory compound producing producing several undesirable consequences.

    Specifically, an article in the February 2007 edition of the Life Extension Magazine by William Faloon titled "Eating Your Way to Prostrate Cancer" suggests that an excess or elevated level of arachidonic acid can stimulate prostrate cancer, create processes leading to heart attack, cause tissue destruction, chronic inflammation, and increased resistance of tumor cells to apoptosis (programmed cell destruction).

    He recommended the reduction of arachidonic acid's effects via the consumption of cyclooxygenase (COX) inhibitors that inhibit the toxic by-products of arachidonic acid metabolism. COX inhibitors include low-dose aspirin, curcumin, green tea, and resveratrol.

    So, is arachidonic acid a bodybuilder's friend or foe?

    Only objective responses, please!

  2. New Member
    krogtaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    199

    Reputation

    inflammation appears to be good for muscle growth, not good for other things.
  3. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    i believe cycling AA seems to diminish the serious potential side effects.
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye View Post
    i believe cycling AA seems to diminish the serious potential side effects.
    agreed.
  5. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    I also read somewhere that AA may speed up prostrate cancer however it was never proven to have a direct link to prostate cancer itself.
  6. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    I also read somewhere that AA may speed up prostrate cancer however it was never proven to have a direct link to prostate cancer itself.
    Just remember, if you HAVE cancer cells, it will speed up growth. But, there are no evidence that it causes it.
  7. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Although AA is a great product, i will not run another cycle. Joint pain, and removing fish from my diet was not something i want to do again.

    I did make reasonable gains both in size and strength, but im sure some of that was due to eating beef 4x a day, and eggs for the other 3 meals...

    They are the true musclebuilders.
  8. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye View Post
    Although AA is a great product, i will not run another cycle. Joint pain, and removing fish from my diet was not something i want to do again.

    I did make reasonable gains both in size and strength, but im sure some of that was due to eating beef 4x a day, and eggs for the other 3 meals...

    They are the true musclebuilders.
    The eggs also contain AA which is one of the egg's secret for muscle building
  9. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    mnnn Ive been wondering jjohn. has anyone tried cissus with AA? some results on a incarnate and xfactor stack would be awesome. how about throwing that stack into the mega stack thread jjohn .
  10. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    The eggs also contain AA which is one of the egg's secret for muscle building
    And so does beef

    I was upward of 16 whole eggs a day + 800g of beef + 4 AA caps, yeah i grew, but i could hardly walk...
  11. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    mnnn Ive been wondering jjohn. has anyone tried cissus with AA? some results on a incarnate and xfactor stack would be awesome. how about throwing that stack into the mega stack thread jjohn .
    Haha, that will be coming someday if this thread goes well I have done cissus and it worked great for me!
  12. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    mnnn Ive been wondering jjohn. has anyone tried cissus with AA? some results on a incarnate and xfactor stack would be awesome. how about throwing that stack into the mega stack thread jjohn .
    Possibly X-Factor and the revised version of AP?
  13. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    id love to see a log on it of some sort ehem . I want to run x-factor with incarnate RPM and citrulline malate. seems like a killer combo.
  14. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye View Post
    Possibly X-Factor and the revised version of AP?
    bump Would there be any issue with AP's anti-inflammatory effects?
  15. Advanced Member
    johnyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    506

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye View Post
    And so does beef

    I was upward of 16 whole eggs a day + 800g of beef + 4 AA caps, yeah i grew, but i could hardly walk...
    Jesus, I laughed, but that is a lot. At that point you really have to start weighing the effects of hormonal supplements instead.


    I'm not sold one or the other, I'm apprehensive though.
  16. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by johnyq View Post
    Jesus, I laughed, but that is a lot. At that point you really have to start weighing the effects of hormonal supplements instead.


    I'm not sold one or the other, I'm apprehensive though.
    Unfortunately at this age and stage AAS/PH's are not an option for me. There is progress with what i am doing anyway. People underate the anabolic effect of food.
  17. Advanced Member
    johnyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    506

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye View Post
    Unfortunately at this age and stage anabolic steroids/PH's are not an option for me. There is progress with what i am doing anyway. People underate the anabolic effect of food.
    I don't doubt it, what I meant is you may be hurting yourself more than if you took the anabolic steroids/PH route. That is a personal decisions though, one you have obviously made
  18. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by johnyq View Post
    I don't doubt it, what I meant is you may be hurting yourself more than if you took the anabolic steroids/PH route. That is a personal decisions though, one you have obviously made
    I agree. I do think limiting my diet (like i am doing with my second cycle of AA) is a serious detriment - one that i will probably not be following again. I would be a strong supporter of AA supplementation if omega-3's were permitted, but unfortunately that is not the case. I may in future look into Cissus + MRM/Glucosamine and see how well this masks the dryness.
  19. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude;
    ...
    What happened to your old avatar? Was great!
  20. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by krogtaar;
    inflammation appears to be good for muscle growth, not good for other things.
    Not necessarily. It depends on what type of inflammation we are talking about. There are different types of inflammations, acute (roughly transient, short-term) and chronic (roughly persistent). Chronic inflammation is implicated in the pathogenesis of several serious medical conditions including, but not limited to, atherosclerosis, cancer, heart valve dysfunction, obesity, diabetes, congestive heart failure, digestive system diseases, Alzheimer's disease, Allergy, Anemia, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Firbrosis, Kidney Failure, and Lupus.
    You probably either meant muscle soreness due to cellular lactic-acid build or structural muscle "damage" due to delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Lactic-acid levels, though, return to normal levels within an hour of muscular stress, whereas pains associated with DOMS peaks with 24-72 hours after exercise. DOMS are not caused by elevated lactic acid levels, and I am not sure both are induced by arachidonic acid.
  21. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye;
    i believe cycling AA seems to diminish the serious potential side effects.
    This will definitely make a lot of sense. Same as for some other supplements, but for different reasons.
  22. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye;
    i believe cycling AA seems to diminish the serious potential side effects.
    The chart below highlights arachidonic acid's cascading pathway to damaging compounds in the body, causing arthritic, carcinogenic, and cardiovascular conditions. I am not sure which of these is beneficial to bodybuilders. To be sure, I want us to discuss arachidonic acid's proper anabolic pathway juxtaposed with the possible sides, so we can make an informed decision regarding the benefits of arachidonic acid for muscular hypertrophy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  23. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    The chart below highlights arachidonic acid's cascading pathway to damaging compounds in the body, causing arthritic, carcinogenic, and cardiovascular conditions. I am not sure which of these is beneficial to bodybuilders. To be sure, I want us to discuss arachidonic acid's proper anabolic pathway juxtaposed with the possible sides, so we can make an informed decision regarding the benefits of arachidonic acid for muscular hypertrophy.
    That is a very interesting and informative post. What needs to be provided now is if the presence of Prostoglandlin E2 needs to be present to exert its anabolic effects - if not, it seems the most common sides could be diminished relatively easily without jeapordizing its efficacy. I hope a MN rep chimes in...
  24. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye;
    ...Would there be any issue with AP's anti-inflammatory effects?
    What is "AP"?
  25. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    What is "AP"?
    Anabolic Pump - it has some strong anti-inflammatory affects. Just done some research,shows it should be fine. That would be quite the non-hormonal stack i must say.
  26. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye View Post
    Anabolic Pump - it has some strong anti-inflammatory affects. Just done some research,shows it should be fine. That would be quite the non-hormonal stack i must say.
    There are 3 logs coming up with PSlin
  27. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove;
    The chart below highlights arachidonic acid's cascading pathway to damaging compounds in the body, causing arthritic, carcinogenic, and cardiovascular conditions. I am not sure which of these is beneficial to bodybuilders. To be sure, I want us to discuss arachidonic acid's proper anabolic pathway juxtaposed with the possible sides, so we can make an informed decision regarding the benefits of arachidonic acid for muscular hypertrophy.
    Some explanations of some enzymes in the earlier flow-chart:

    5-LOX (5-Lipooxygenase)
    An enzyme that is produced in higher amounts by the body in response to an overload of arachidonic acid. 5-LOX functions to degrade arachidonic acid. However, 5-LOX directly stimulates the propagation of cancer cells. Furthermore, 5-LOX produces breakdown products from arachidonic acid. These products, leukotriene B4, 5-HETE, and hydroxylated fatty acids, motivate tissue destruction, chronic inflammation, as well as the increased resistance of tumor cells to apoptosis or programmed cell destruction.

    Apart from 5-LOX, the body produces other dangerous enzymes such as cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) that participate in the breakdown of arachidonic acid.

    COX-1 leads to the production of thromboxane A2. Thromboxane can enhance abnormal arterial blood clotting or thrombosis, leading to heart attack and stroke.

    COX-2 participates directly in cancer cell propagation. Its breakdown product, prostaglandin E2 fosters chronic inflammation.
  28. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye;
    Anabolic Pump - it has some strong anti-inflammatory affects. Just done some research,shows it should be fine. That would be quite the non-hormonal stack i must say.
    If it is anti-inflammatory, then taking it simultaneously with arachidonic acid will weaken or neutralize the impact of arachidonic acid.
  29. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    If it is anti-inflammatory, then taking it simultaneously with arachidonic acid will weaken or neutralize the impact of arachidonic acid.
    The anti-inflammatory effects seem to be negligible through anecdotal feedback, but yes to some degree the efficacy would be tarnished.
  30. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BullzEye;
    The anti-inflammatory effects seem to be negligible through anecdotal feedback, but yes to some degree the efficacy would be tarnished.
    If Anabolic Pump's anti-inflammatory effects are negligible, then it is an interesting anti-inflammatory!
  31. Advanced Member
    dhuge67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    487

    Reputation

    The AA content in fatty meat, eggs, and such is also why those on the Anabolic Diet do well and are constantly pumped....it's the inflammation.

    It's the mirrors.
  32. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dhuge67;
    The AA content in fatty meat, eggs, and such is also why those on the Anabolic Diet do well and are constantly pumped....it's the inflammation.

    It's the mirrors.
    Its just that inflammation, especially due to dramatic elevations of cellular arachidonic acid levels, is not necessarily a good thing.
  33. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BullzEye
    Anabolic Pump - it has some strong anti-inflammatory affects. Just done some research,shows it should be fine. That would be quite the non-hormonal stack i must say.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn;
    There are 3 logs coming up with PSlin
    What are your expectations, John?
  34. <^>
    <^> is offline
    New Member
    <^>'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    119

    Reputation

    We all have seen the results and posts from various users of XF but my roomate is a kinesiology major (spelling?) and he was telling me that fatty acids are the primary source of energy in muscles.

    It seems this product you eliminate that and i just dont really understand the long term effects and whatnot.
  35. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    What are your expectations, John?
    Even though AA increases insulin sensitivity, I do beleive that PSlin will greatly enhance the glycogen stored in muscles, and create way better pumps during the workout, increasing power, of course, thus increasing gains. This is all speculation though, but I am confident.
  36. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by <^> View Post
    We all have seen the results and posts from various users of XF but my roomate is a kinesiology major (spelling?) and he was telling me that fatty acids are the primary source of energy in muscles.

    It seems this product you eliminate that and i just dont really understand the long term effects and whatnot.
    What are you trying to say there bud?
  37. Professional Member
    Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    Even though AA increases insulin sensitivity, I do beleive that PSlin will greatly enhance the glycogen stored in muscles, and create way better pumps during the workout, increasing power, of course, thus increasing gains. This is all speculation though, but I am confident.
    and i would gladly test your speculation to prove you right
  38. New Member
    BullzEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    If Anabolic Pump's anti-inflammatory effects are negligible, then it is an interesting anti-inflammatory!
    haha... i should have made my post clearer, the anti-inf. effects when used in conjunction with AA seem to be negligible, as strong results are still present...
  39. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude;
    Originally Posted by Cellardude
    mnnn Ive been wondering jjohn. has anyone tried cissus with AA? some results on a incarnate and xfactor stack would be awesome. how about throwing that stack into the mega stack thread jjohn
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohn;
    Haha, that will be coming someday if this thread goes well I have done cissus and it worked great for me!
    Hi John, any news yet on an Arachidonic Acid/Incarnate or Arachidonic Acid/X-Factor stack? An update should be interesting!
  40. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,538
    Rep Power
    77388

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Quote:

    Hi John, any news yet on an Arachidonic Acid/Incarnate or Arachidonic Acid/X-Factor stack? An update should be interesting!
    Well, I stated someday.. Not necessarily in this particular thread lol. But maybe someday
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Arachidonic Acid (ArA) Alone or with Fish Oil?
    By w_llewellyn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM
  2. PYROBATT and MAX BULK! Friends or foes?
    By pyrobatt in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  3. 1,3 Dimethyl...friend or foe?
    By DKPhysiqueAX in forum Advanced Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM
  4. Arachidonic acid during PCT period. Good or bad??
    By The Celt in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
  5. Arachidonic Acid and Cancer. (X-Factor)
    By Bigfishy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in