new to supplements; need advice

liftingheavy

Awards
I am currently looking at buying some supplements through anabolic store. I am new to supplements and have tried to read everything I can to help ensure i get the right ones. Basically, here is what I am looking at:

protein powder: iso-100 by dmytize; i chose this because I am lactose sensitive; hoping that because it 100% protein isolate that this will help make it digest easier. Was looking at the isopure also but had read that the taste may not be good; hope this is not case with iso-100 (it advertises it tastes good; but who knows). Was also thinking about the ast vp2 product also; but could not clearly determine if it was 100% protien isolate as label is somewhat confusing. At any rate, hope i made the right choice in this area.

BCAA: Purple wraath: read some good reviews on this product. Only thing i wonder about is if this tastes good as I saw mixed reviews on this; but decided to try. It is expensive but some say it worth the cost so let me know if i should look at something else; would also like to know how it tastes (i tend not to stomach things well that dont taste good).

Vitamin: Orange Triad: Seems to be an overall good vitamin containing a good mix of multivitamins, antioxidents, and joint help. I was also looking at super cissus for joints but the orange triad seems to cover this area.

Creatine: I am thinking just a good creatine monohydrate would be good; but any suggestion on this would be appreciated as there seems to mixed reviews on which one is best; but monohydrate seems to be a good staple.

The above is basically what I am looking at as far as basic supplements for now.

I also read something on Arachidonic Acid but am somewhat confusted on exactly what it does or if its just hype.

Things im thinking about taking down the road (maybe in several months or more when I think I am ready) are some of the different stacks such as epistane, mass fx, etc but dont know if i want to go down this read yet. But comments would be appreciated in this area as well. The one thing i noticed with epistane is that you need to do a serm for post stack therapy; however, it seems that the serm is hard to get; however, i have also read conflicting posts that say you need a serm and then others that say you dont so am confused in this area. Perhaps, for now, I might tend to lean more towards a non-hormonal stack; but as said before i would appreciate any suggestions on
this for future.

If i am missing anything, or if there is something that you think I listed that is a waste, let me know. Thanks ahead a time for the advice.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stick with the basics for now man, hold off on any of the fancy stuff, especially the prohormones. You'll get some great results just sticking with the basics in the begining, especially if your nutrition and training are on par. Give these a try for a while, then start adding in or replacing with some of the fancier supps man!

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
agreed. Good posting myth. stick with staples like protien, BCAA and multi-vit. the orange triad is a good choice and you might want to consider xtend or purple wraath for your BCAA.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I also read something on Arachidonic Acid but am somewhat confusted on exactly what it does or if its just hype.

just to address your question.

this was taken from x-factor description on nutra planet

"Arachidonic acid is an essential fatty acid, which is consumed in small amounts in our regular diets"

"Arachidonic acid is considered an "essential" fatty acid because it is an absolute requirement for the proper functioning of the human body."

"More specifically, it is the base material used by the body to synthesize a key series of hormones referred to collectively as dienolic prostaglandins (the major prostaglandins in mammals)."

I believe this is a little more helpful in answering your question

"To summarize what we have learned in their review, we can highlight several very important key points.

* 1) Prostaglandins are the very core stimulators of protein synthesis following exercise.
* 2) The synthesis of prostaglandins is dependent on levels of available arachidonic acid.
* 3) The body stores arachidonic acid in muscle tissue, not active prostaglandins.
* 4) Arachidonic acid is released from the outer phospholipid layer of muscle cells during the stretching caused by exercise. Once freed, it is rapidly converted to active prostaglandins.
* 5) Exercise lowers the levels of arachidonic acid in muscle tissue.
* 6) Consuming higher than normal levels of arachidonic acid will result in the greater retention of this fatty acid in body tissues, which should markedly enhance the output of anabolic prostaglandins in response to physical exercise.
"

If you want the full description of A.A look up X-factor on nutraplanet. You can also ask a rep who is more knowledgeble on the subject like jjohn. Basically x-factor of A.A is a supplement that is safer than PH's and very effective for gains. your diet has to strict however. A.A causes flammation(correct me if im wrong. Im no expert) and things such as omega 3 prevent that from happening. Just stick with the basics for now, just trying to answer your question.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
VP2 is 100% whey protein isolate. If you've never had whey protein before and you're lactose sensitive, you may want to start with a small size and see how it goes. They are all derived from milk protein. If whey upsets your stomach too much, you could look into egg protein, or even soy protein. None of these are a substitute for solid food protein, it's just that they are more convenient and, in the case of whey, absorbed faster.

The other stuff you mentioned is solid. With creatine, I would go with creatine monohydrate that carries the "creapure" label or is labeled as "micronized creatine." These will be a little easier on your sensitive stomach. With BCAAs, you may want to consider a bulk BCAA like Optimum Nutrition's. Taste may be an issue, but it's SO much cheaper. You can mix it with your protein shakes. It's an option to consider.

Other than that, I would recommend a fish oil supplement unless you already have a very high content of fish in your diet. And all of this should be considered "supplemental" to a great diet. If you diet is off, the supplements won't save you.

Good luck and, by the way :welcome:

liftingheavy

Awards
Thanks guys for the help.

Ectopower, i was a little confused what vp2 was as the ingredients were listed with high tech process rather than just saying it was pure isolate. My stomach does not necessarily get upset when taking milk products, but it does make me gaseous if you know what i mean. I took a protien supplement a long time ago (i am talking 10 plus years ago) and it gave lots of gas and the runs. Maybe it was cheap one; but dont want to repeat the same experience again by ordering a cheap protien as my last experience caused me to wait until now before trying it again. Thought better start at the top and work my way down otherwise i just wont use it ever again. Your probably right in saying to start with a small amount just to see how it goes. I think i may add fish oil but dont really understand what it does for you so apparently i need to do esearch on the fish oil as i do see a lot reference to it in some of the posts that i have seen (i just like to know why i am taking something). I am going to go with your recommendation on creatine. I might also look into some other bcaa that are cheaper; does optinum taste good as i was sort of looking for the bcaa as a preworkout drink as I have trouble workingout after eating for at least a couple hours (but bcaa might be something that i could drink preworkout because its not to calorie rich). That was sort of my thinking on the use of the bcaa; but its also important to me that tastes otherwise i probably wont use it--- maybe a light protien shake preworkout with bcaa might be the answer to make it taste better (if taste is problem).

Cellurlude, Im not sure on Arachidonic Acid, but it sounds pretty interesting. If enough others in the forum wiegh in on it or recommend it to me, I might give it go in future; thanks for all the information on it; very good information. Also, i agree with you on waiting on the anabolic stacks. The main reason i threw it out there is i am in my mid 40's so at somepoint it might make sense to take something like that in future given my age to give me a little jumpstart; but first i want to get the basics down as you said. Perhaps, I wont even need them; but must say i dont feel the same energy as i had when i was in my twenties (i think it is hormanal). Of course, i could always see dr john; but thought first maybe i might want to look at whats available over the counter.

I also agree that proper diet is also needed with supplements (supplements wont work alone). The big problem I am having right now is nutrient timing pre and post workout. Also, i sometimes endup binge eating (which is not good) as i dont eat enough smaller meals during the day. My thinking is that the supplements will provide me with a way to get those smaller meals so I am not famished by the time i eat dinner and also to properly time my nutrients pre and post workout. I still have some work to do on my diet; but I think the protein supplements will help in this area as they are easy to make. I appreciate the input.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys for the help.

Ectopower, i was a little confused what vp2 was as the ingredients were listed with high tech process rather than just saying it was pure isolate. My stomach does not necessarily get upset when taking milk products, but it does make me gaseous if you know what i mean. I took a protien supplement a long time ago (i am talking 10 plus years ago) and it gave lots of gas and the runs. Maybe it was cheap one; but dont want to repeat the same experience again by ordering a cheap protien as my last experience caused me to wait until now before trying it again. Thought better start at the top and work my way down otherwise i just wont use it ever again. Your probably right in saying to start with a small amount just to see how it goes. I think i may add fish oil but dont really understand what it does for you so apparently i need to do esearch on the fish oil as i do see a lot reference to it in some of the posts that i have seen (i just like to know why i am taking something). I am going to go with your recommendation on creatine. I might also look into some other bcaa that are cheaper; does optinum taste good as i was sort of looking for the bcaa as a preworkout drink as I have trouble workingout after eating for at least a couple hours (but bcaa might be something that i could drink preworkout because its not to calorie rich). That was sort of my thinking on the use of the bcaa; but its also important to me that tastes otherwise i probably wont use it--- maybe a light protien shake preworkout with bcaa might be the answer to make it taste better (if taste is problem).

Cellurlude, Im not sure on Arachidonic Acid, but it sounds pretty interesting. If enough others in the forum wiegh in on it or recommend it to me, I might give it go in future; thanks for all the information on it; very good information. Also, i agree with you on waiting on the anabolic stacks. The main reason i threw it out there is i am in my mid 40's so at somepoint it might make sense to take something like that in future given my age to give me a little jumpstart; but first i want to get the basics down as you said. Perhaps, I wont even need them; but must say i dont feel the same energy as i had when i was in my twenties (i think it is hormanal). Of course, i could always see dr john; but thought first maybe i might want to look at whats available over the counter.

I also agree that proper diet is also needed with supplements (supplements wont work alone). The big problem I am having right now is nutrient timing pre and post workout. Also, i sometimes endup binge eating (which is not good) as i dont eat enough smaller meals during the day. My thinking is that the supplements will provide me with a way to get those smaller meals so I am not famished by the time i eat dinner and also to properly time my nutrients pre and post workout. I still have some work to do on my diet; but I think the protein supplements will help in this area as they are easy to make. I appreciate the input.
If I could afford VP2, that would be my protein. I think it's the best out there. But I've been using Optimum's 100% whey for years now and it works great. They save cost by including some whey concentrate, which is cheaper than isolate. Your thinking is about right on the BCAAs. They have an anti-catabolic affect with almost no calories. ON's bulk bcaa tastes horrible. I mix it with my protein shakes for that reason and it masks the awfullness pretty well. If you're going to use it as a pre or during workout drink, one of the pricier options might be more suitable.

You're right to want to know what you're putting in your body. Keep researching and you'll find what works.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good question, and welcome to the boards.

I can attest that Purple Wraath is a good product - easy to mix and drink before and after your workout.

Creatines are very varied. Your guess is as good as mine anymore. Just read up, do your research, look at some logs, and pick your flavor of choice!

As for anything hormonal, epi might not be for you right yet, but Mass FX that you mentioned is a test booster - not necessarily hormonal in that it is a prohormone. (I mention these because you did...) I'd go with MFX over Epi if you're just starting out.

And speaking of which, what is your training experience? If you are just starting out, or are coming back to it from a long time away, initial gains are going to kick major butt for the next few months. You might do well to limit supplementation and let your body work its natural ju-ju.

Best of luck!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I would buy bulk from NP:

BCAA's

Creatine Mono,

Markoni321

Markoni321

Awards
I am currently looking at buying some supplements through anabolic store. I am new to supplements and have tried to read everything I can to help ensure i get the right ones. Basically, here is what I am looking at:

protein powder: iso-100 by dmytize; i chose this because I am lactose sensitive; hoping that because it 100% protein isolate that this will help make it digest easier. Was looking at the isopure also but had read that the taste may not be good; hope this is not case with iso-100 (it advertises it tastes good; but who knows). Was also thinking about the ast vp2 product also; but could not clearly determine if it was 100% protien isolate as label is somewhat confusing. At any rate, hope i made the right choice in this area.

BCAA: Purple wraath: read some good reviews on this product. Only thing i wonder about is if this tastes good as I saw mixed reviews on this; but decided to try. It is expensive but some say it worth the cost so let me know if i should look at something else; would also like to know how it tastes (i tend not to stomach things well that dont taste good).

Vitamin: Orange Triad: Seems to be an overall good vitamin containing a good mix of multivitamins, antioxidents, and joint help. I was also looking at super cissus for joints but the orange triad seems to cover this area.

Creatine: I am thinking just a good creatine monohydrate would be good; but any suggestion on this would be appreciated as there seems to mixed reviews on which one is best; but monohydrate seems to be a good staple.

The above is basically what I am looking at as far as basic supplements for now.

Things im thinking about taking down the road (maybe in several months or more when I think I am ready) are some of the different stacks such as epistane, mass fx, etc but dont know if i want to go down this read yet. But comments would be appreciated in this area as well. The one thing i noticed with epistane is that you need to do a serm for post stack therapy; however, it seems that the serm is hard to get; however, i have also read conflicting posts that say you need a serm and then others that say you dont so am confused in this area. Perhaps, for now, I might tend to lean more towards a non-hormonal stack; but as said before i would appreciate any suggestions on
this for future.

If i am missing anything, or if there is something that you think I listed that is a waste, let me know. Thanks ahead a time for the advice.

I'm also lactose intolerant , I use this two products , CF whey isolate and hydrolyzed whey protein high grade , VP2 have low grade of hydrolisation , ISO-100 isnt hydro whey , so if you want hydro whey then order hydrolyzed whey protein high grade or ultra grade
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6734
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=633

liftingheavy

Awards
I appreciate all the help and recommendations from everyone. All of it is helpful. I will try and post again in a couple of months and let you know what i think after I have been using them for a while.