NAC reduces cocaine cravings

the Cardinal

Awards
From Dr. Ray Sahelian's newsletter:

N-Acetylcysteine and cocaine craving

Twenty three cocaine-dependent patients participated in a 4-week study to determine if acetylcysteine supplementation would have an effect on cocaine craving. They received N-acetylcysteine at doses of 1200 mg/day, 2400 mg/day or 3600 mg/day. All three doses were well tolerated. The majority of subjects who completed the study either terminated use of cocaine completely or significantly reduced their use of cocaine during treatment.
Comments: It is exciting to know that readily available and inexpensive supplements are being tested to determine their potential in reducing drug dependence. There is so much potential in the use of natural supplements for a number of medical conditions. It excites me when I come across such research whose findings can improve the lives of so many people. Longer term studies are needed to determine whether the initial benefits of acetylcysteine supplementation are sustained over time. For long term use, 1,000 mg of acetylcysteine seems reasonable.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
lol so now there just addicted to NAC... oh well, cheaper and better for the health so it's a + in my book

IMO once an addict, always an addict... sometimes the substance just changes, but if you find something to rely on thats relatively harmless then at least you've solved one part of the problem

BullzEye

BullzEye

Awards
Can you speculate as to what pathway NAC inhibits Cocaine cravings?

the Cardinal

Awards
Can you speculate as to what pathway NAC inhibits Cocaine cravings?
My SWAG - since it appears NAC can have a prophylactic effect against certain liver toxins, my guess is that it's probably inhibiting the conversion of some cocaine component that is at least partially responsible for the additive cravings by either:
1) partially blocking the effects of some liver enzyme; or
2) by stimulating excess amounts of some liver enzyme that chemically alters the additive craving component (which is my guess if I forced to choose one or the other).

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
the addictive nature of cocain comes from it's effect on dopamine levels

cocain causes a massive surge in the levels of dopamine in the synapse, and continuous use desensitizes dopamine sensors... once the person has desensitized dopamine receptors, when they are not on the drug, there is not a sufficient amount of dopamine binding which is the nuerotransmitter that lets us feel joy among many other things

so without the drug the person feels withdrawn and depressed and must use it to aleviate those symptoms

how this relates to NAC i have no clue

Cogent

Awards
AB edit:

Last edited by a moderator: